Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #2251
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
I went riding tonight. Headed straight up into the hills. A 250 Yamaha passed me in the corners. Holy cow! I chased that little booger for 30 clicks until he turned off; That boy could ride. Effing knee dragger. I was on his tail the whole time. Pretty fun actually. Although I hate myself sometimes for riding like a hooligan. I pulled over and took a shot of the night lights:

Headed back to town and learned that Colombia lost to Venezuela. Alas. And the U.S. tied Mexico 0-0.

I look forward to the World Cup in Brazil next year. Along with the Dakar. 2014 should be a great year to be in South America.

Saludos,
Juan Deportes

JDowns screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 10:18 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #2252
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Just like to thank sunday rider, ex_mgb, and Dave Jardine for sponsoring this week's riding. I have no idea how they figured out how to donate to paypal, but I am indebted forever to you guys. Thanks so much!

Saludos,
Juan Endeudado
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #2253
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Vic,

This is the book. I'll look into other options when I get home. An ongoing live ride report is better than most books I've read about motorcycle travel. I will definitely look into making some Sultan of South America T-shirts for next fall.

Saludos,
Juan Sultana
I have to agree. This ride report beats any book, in my opinion. And that's just the reading. If you factor in the interactive component, it's off the charts.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #2254
drifter dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Hey John,

I'm not caught up yet, but figured I would post here since you did on my RR. Thanks for the great RR and keep it up Amigo!!

Dorian (aka Drifter Dave)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544121
drifter dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #2255
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... That boy could ride. Effing knee dragger. I was on his tail the whole time. Pretty fun actually. Although I hate myself sometimes for riding like a hooligan. ...

At least you weren't running from anyone!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #2256
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Dont know why I was wondering about your sherpa down in south America.

Snicker ...

Servicing the forks in 40ish weather .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #2257
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Dont know why I was wondering about your sherpa down in south America.

Snicker ...
[IMG]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Hawk_308/Snapbucket/1A5F4AB9-orig_zps5d7d0eb8.jpg[/IMG
Servicing the forks in 40ish weather .
Hi Hawk62cj5,

Boy that looks familiar! Who knew that some weird 70's 370 Suzuki forks fit the Sherpa triple clamps. I remember when my Sherpa was stock. About 38,000 miles ago. It looked like yours. Except for the killer DakarADV stickers and Tusk handguards.

Nice Sherpa! Thanks for the pic to remind me how far downhill I have gone amigo.

Saludos!
Juan Sherpa
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #2258
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Hi Hawk62cj5,

Boy that looks familiar! Who knew that some weird 70's 370 Suzuki forks fit the Sherpa triple clamps. I remember when my Sherpa was stock. About 38,000 miles ago. It looked like yours. Except for the killer DakarADV stickers and Tusk handguards.

Nice Sherpa! Thanks for the pic to remind me how far downhill I have gone amigo.

Saludos!
Juan Sherpa
Thanks , Im just trying to stop mine from nose diving to bottom when I brake hard or go down a steep hill . Im installing the progressive springs for a KLR 250 and flushing the factory oil out and refilling with 15 wt to see if that helps a bit . Im not a small guy , I like pizza too so Im about as heavy as the bike is . The tusk hand guards were a must , the lolipop turn signals I hate to no end so they had to go . plus I had to use the outer part of one to fix one of the rear lolipops back in the fall when I fell , which the tusk hand guards saved my right hand from damage .

After so many miles on the sherpa this year are you planning on changing any thing next year when you return ?
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #2259
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 661
the minimalist travel guide

By John on a Budget. That's something I'd pay to have on ebook. Camping spots, hostels, wifi, food, gear, girls reviews, etc. Info reported by you and collected from other ride reports. Info from the very notes you take and from your gifted memory. It's the perspective of a world traveler what brings us here.. I'll help you with some useful phrases in spanish: señor policía, cómo podemos arreglar esta multa entre nosotros? . Or explaining to the Mexican mechanic about the blown fork seals: Topes de Mierda! .

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #2260
ratbikemike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Update from ratbikemike

John,
I'm headed home myself. I did have a container for $300 and could have done a boat myself for about $150, but I am pretty close to broke and the klr650 has serious issues. Maybe a dr350 and a more direct route next time. Or my old airhead loaded lightly !! Thanks for your counsel and maybe I'll get some of those airhead bits from you when I'm working again. ratbikemike
ratbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #2261
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
... señor policía, cómo podemos arreglar esta multa entre nosotros? . ...

I have often wondered how one might broach this subject.
(posting from an andriod device, I see... )

ratbikemike: are you going to write a report on your adventures?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #2262
ratbikemike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
The tale

I have some 400 fotos and such over on HU. Usually, on the first page of 'ride tales' under 'ratbikemike in mexico'. Got a few fotos of JohnD in Guatamala. Hi jack is now off.... rbm
ratbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #2263
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

That's cool, RBM... I've never hung out on HU but I see your spot. Will sift through when time allows. Peace!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #2264
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 866
JDowns, your minimalist idealism is seeping into my skull. I'm starting to think that taking my XR400 on the trip would be perfect once I add a battery and electric start.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #2265
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
JDowns, your minimalist idealism is seeping into my skull. I'm starting to think that taking my XR400 on the trip would be perfect once I add a battery and electric start.
Hi Clem Kevin,

XR400 would be a fun bike down here. Especially if you could add electric start. I know Throttlemeister was thinking about adapting the Honda quad motor with electric start to a bike. It is basically an XR400 motor. They sell a nice Honda down here called the Honda Falcon that has the XR400 motor with electric start, but it is out of my price range.

I will be going back to my XR250 when I get back to Oregon. I like to stop and take pics and take breaks a lot and my right leg gets tired just thinking about kicking the XR until I can get back down here to the Sherpa.

I got a knock on my door this morning and met another ADVrider from Oregon who had come down on his DRZ. Another nice bike for third world travel. He saw the Sherpa parked out front and came up to say hi. Always nice to meet fellow riders along the way.

Saludos,
Juan Minimalista