Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #2311
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Hi John,

You look 20 years younger than you say you are in the picture above.
Being in great shape must help riding such roads as this:

I never quite managed to have the mud and deep sand riding figured out. So I wonder how you rode that stretch or if there were others worse you ran into. I know I can take it easy in mud and if I spill it wont be too bad, but in sand the opposite, being more aggressive is supposed to help - in theory. Well theory isn't worth without practice so all I can do now is talk about it. I know riding South of the border I will be for sure seeing allot of that type of roads Sunday I took my GS over some sand patches here in Long Island just to see if I can stay up. Some real spooky feeling with bike being all over the place but I managed. At my skill level am sure that wont be the case if I practice long enough. Had few moto mishaps in the past and now my bones are reminding me to be careful. But being careful doesn't make for a good learning. A smaller bike might help to an extent I guess.

Best,
Vic
Hi Vic,

You can ride from your driveway to Tierra del Fuego without ever riding in the sand if you don't care to.

I am no sand riding expert. In fact the only sand I've ridden on this trip were the beaches of Panama. And there I stuck to the firm sand near the surf line.

As far as riding in the mud that's a different story. You will inevitably find yourself in a rainstorm going through road construction at some point in South America. You just have to take it easy and stay off the brakes and let the bike find it's way. No leaning in corners and smooth throttle and you should be able to get through the slick stuff.

Saludos,
Juan Lodo

JDowns screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 01:09 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #2312
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Hi John, You look 20 years younger than you say you are in the picture...
Hey Vic, Staying thin and having a full head of hair that hasn't greyed much goes a long way toward looking younger.
At least from a bit of a distance.
Staying active and keeping a happy, positive outlook helps us feel younger. As does going to South America!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #2313
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
By John on a Budget. That's something I'd pay to have on ebook
Hell, I would buy the printed book that's just the ride report with photos so I can share it with my friends.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #2314
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Vic,

You can ride from your driveway to Tierra del Fuego without ever riding in the sand if you don't care to.

I am no sand riding expert. In fact the only sand I've ridden on this trip were the beaches of Panama. And there I stuck to the firm sand near the surf line.

As far as riding in the mud that's a different story. You will inevitably find yourself in a rainstorm going through road construction at some point in South America. You just have to take it easy and stay off the brakes and let the bike find it's way. No leaning in corners and smooth throttle and you should be able to get through the slick stuff.

Saludos,
Juan Lodo
Hi John,

I see what you mean, aside for inadvertent road construction I can probably avoid most bad roads. I am usually overly cautions being so far away from any type of assistance but have a strong dark side which pushes me to risk it, not sure why, maybe just to see I can do it. When I was a child my biggest fear was the cemetery, whenever I passed it I sped up on my bicycle. Then one night I decided to face my fear and rode right into it. I was scared shirtless but other than a deer encounter that horrified me and I almost fell over - nothing else happened. After that I was never afraid to pass by or go there again.

I think I may have done some dirt riding in my trip from Dawson to Chicken Alaska, if that qualifies. Taylor highway was after rain and very slick, but the mud was only maybe an inch thick. Still I took a very long time to do it going slow on my over-inflated street tires and found myself on the wrong side of the road few times. Lucky it isn't a much traveled road. Graceful I wasn't. But it was nowhere near the soup you have been through on that Colombian road.

You inspire me as a man who balances not only motorcycles but life itself in the hypothetical everyday mud and sand we all encounter, and do it with sublime grace like this:

http://vimeo.com/user5979255/balance

Best,
Vic
Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #2315
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
Hell, I would buy the printed book that's just the ride report with photos so I can share it with my friends.
+1
Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #2316
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Hey Vic, Staying thin and having a full head of hair that hasn't greyed much goes a long way toward looking younger.
At least from a bit of a distance.
Staying active and keeping a happy, positive outlook helps us feel younger. As does going to South America!
Hey OnandOFF!

Yes, truly agree. It all starts from within with the positive outlook on life, no matter what it throws at us, John is a grand master of arts with it.

Best,
Vic
Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #2317
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

This is about as close as I'll ever get to a hummingbird:

Went down to the home center with Albert to get some more paint and supplies and this little fellow flew into the window above me and landed on me dazed and confused. He clung to my finger while regaining consciousness. Albert commented after taking this photo that most motorcyclists have found themselves in similar circumstances in a ditch somewhere wondering WTF happened? I know I have.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 10:16 PM
Old 04-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #2318
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
HI Dooga,

I would too. Feel free to publish it and send me a copy so I can reminisce in my rocking chair in 20 years.

But seriously, I will look into all possibilities just out of curiosity to see if this is something that others could benefit from to help pay for gas while they're out riding the world.

Saludos,
Juan Periodista

JDowns screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 12:24 PM
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #2319
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
This is about as close as I'll ever get to a hummingbird:

Went down to the home center with Albert to get some more paint and supplies and this little fellow flew into the window behind me and landed on me dazed and confused. He clung to my finger while regaining consciousness. Albert commented after taking this photo that most motorcyclists have found themselves in similar circumstances in a ditch somewhere wondering WTF happened? I know I have.

Saludos,
Juanito
Hi John,

That beautiful bird came to wish you easy trip home, to not forget Colombia and return.

Best,
Vic
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #2320
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
HI Dooga,

I would too. Feel free to publish it and send me a copy so I can reminisce in my rocking chair in 20 years.

But seriously, I will look into all possibilities. Just out of curiosity, to see if this is something that others could benefit from to help pay for gas while they're out riding the world.

Saludos,
Juan Periodista
I'd say you have more than enough material and experience for a book about minimalist motorcycling. I would buy the JD memoirs in a second. You could publish on your own but I'd bet with all the interest on your ride report you could find a publisher. Again thanks for the awesome service you’ve done for all of us. Looking forward to reading about your shenanigans again this fall.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #2321
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
I'd say you have more than enough material and experience for a book about minimalist motorcycling. I would buy the JD memoirs in a second. You could publish on your own but I'd bet with all the interest on your ride report you could find a publisher. Again thanks for the awesome service you’ve done for all of us. Looking forward to reading about your shenanigans again this fall.
Hi Paratrout,

Shenanigans! Now you're talkin' my kind of language! I will definitely look into the book thing, but will continue to publish everything on this site so people can read it for free. The book thing would just be a way to satisfy the powers that be here at ADVrider that don't like the paypal crowdfunding idea but allow you to sell some kind of book or DVD.

Let me just say that ADVrider rules. It's hard to find the time to post regular ride reports to more than one site. And this site is the best. Hands down.

The thing is, I don't really care if people donate to this ride since I will continue to write about my experiences and try to offer useful advice no matter what. I am a ride reporting pitbull. When I run out of money I head home and earn some more. I was mainly interested in finding ways for younger riders with limited funds to get gas money to extend their trips. And I will continue to do so.

Whether it's e-books, or coffee table books, or tee-shirts, or decals, or kickstarter, or whatever. I want to know how people with limited funds can get some crowd sourced funding to head out into the unknown.

It's not cheap taking off from work for 6 months and riding your brains out. I am willing to do the research and development for those that follow in my tire tracks.

Whether it's freecampsites.net or the tentspace list on ADV, or couchsurfing.net, or GPS waypoints for free camping sites in Latin America. It is my mission to find a way for more people to take off and head into the unknown.

It is so much fun! I can't tell you. This has been the best ride of my life.

And yes, although I have to head back to the states to earn more money this summer, I will be back in South America to continue next fall when the weather turns in Nebraska.

And I will gladly give a re-cap of the best ideas I have when I get home. I took so little this time that everything I brought came in handy. I didn't throw away much. Just maps as soon as I was through with them, and not much else. It's amazing how little you need to ride to South America. I wouldn't change much of anything. The only thing I can think of is a waterproof camera so I could have taken some awesome cave swimming shots, waterfall shots, etc. I have used everything I brought except for some spare nuts and bolts.

And after six months of travel, my same heavy duty Arizona Co. thrift store jeans are holding up amazingly. As are my single pair of REI expedition socks and black Gildan ultra cotton 50 cent thrift store tee shirt . 6 frickin' months! And they are still hanging in there. The BMW riding boots that Throttlemeister gave me in Oklahoma are finally falling apart. But they have taken a beating for 5 months. Much of the time having oil sprayed on them from my faulty oil filter cover o-ring.

I will report back more as I think of it.
Saludos,
Juan Viajero
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #2322
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I'd like to thank Warren Brown and Ronald Zissler for sponsoring this weeks ride report. It means a lot.

Muchas gracias amigos,
Juanito
johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #2323
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Hi John,

You inspire me as a man who balances not only motorcycles but life itself in the hypothetical everyday mud and sand we all encounter, and do it with sublime grace like this:

http://vimeo.com/user5979255/balance

Best,
Vic
Hi Vic,

Nice Vimeo clip. I enjoy old men with rhythm and balance as well as 6 year old kids:

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #2324
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,801
Hola Juanito.

I was thinking (we know, that's troubling) that it would be interesting to continue this ride report in certain areas.
I'd love to know for instance, your cost per day once back in the USA. Be interesting to see how different that will be, at least for a comparison.

Thanks for the continuing entertainment/education.

Bien Viaje!

jkam screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 02:48 AM
jkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #2325
Panama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Packing

Hey John,
We are heading out on our ride to Panama tomorrow. Your reports have shown us that the average guy can go do this stuff without a bucket of cash. We are on bigger (650) bikes but hope to take it slow and save on gas.

I am really impressed with your packing. I have packed and repacked trying to get the volume smaller (down to 40-50 lbs) It is amazing how heavy/big two spare tubes and a few extra bolt and zip ties are.

We plan to take a similar route as you and were wondering what you estimated the coldest temperature to be?

I have a 20º sleeping bag that is the size of a basketball and about 5-6 lbs, and local sports authority store has a 45º bag that is really small/cheap ($20). We hope to camp almost as much as you. Did you ever wish you had more or less sleeping bag?
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote