Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #2431
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post
John,

Thank you for what you've done for us! By that I mean your writings made my workday more tolerable. As a small contributor after your bike was damaged I felt more connected to your travels, and could imagine the trip even while dealing with the craziness at work.

Thanks,
Harry
Hi Harry,

Glad to be of service. It's my job to keep you entertained in the winter. I will be keeping up my job next winter. Thanks for your support amigo. It meant a lot when I was fubared in the Darien and you and others came through bigtime with the Sherpa repair fund. You're the best! I couldn't have done it without you.

Muchas gracias por todo,
John Fubar Downs
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #2432
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Sad to see this part of the trip come to an end. So do you have any numbers as far as lodging, food, gas expenses? Really liked the way you travel and an inspiration to many of us that want to do it but are not as affluent as others.

Later
John
Hi Eagletalon,

It was about 7000 bucks all in for the 6 months I was on the road. That includes everything. So around 1200 bucks a month. I think 1500 bucks a month is a more reasonable frugal amount for people on a tight budget. It's tough doing it for less if you have to cross the Darien and make it through Central America with all the border crossing fees and relatively expensive gas.

Of course you can spend a lot more than that if you have the money. You could stay in nice places and eat like a king and drink yourself silly if you cared to. But I can't imagine making to Tierra del Fuego from the U.S. for less than 10,000 bucks on a tight budget. And probably most people spend more than that. Not much reported back in ride reports. I will continue to report back expenses next year. It's one of the critical things to know about when you're thinking about taking off. Of course, you can always ride until you run out of money, park your bike and fly home to earn some more. That is my current program. I'll let you know how that works out.

Best,
Johnboy

JDowns screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 02:27 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #2433
oisterska
d00b

Oddometer: 76
Bravo, well played sir. Thank you very much.
oisterska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #2434
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 726
Glad to see you made it back safe

Hi John,

Good to see you made it back to the old US of A.
On my short ride today I meet a young marine who just returned from Afghanistan and we kicked some tires talking about life and motorcycles. He was riding an Indian and I told him about your trip and ADV site. As we were there an old gentleman over 80 came asking about bikes, he remembers riding his early Indian model with suicide shift he bought for $250 way back in the days.
And I thought of you for no particular reason.

Best,
Vic
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #2435
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
John - good to see you safely back in the US, but do make sure it's a temporary visit, you have more reporting to do for those of us stuck behind a desk all day

Have very much enjoyed your report - thanks for sticking with it!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #2436
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
John:

I don't know who is experiencing the Worst Withdrawal . . .

You for driving a truck (4 wheels), and having to abide by the rules of the road,

OR

Us, your faithful readers who are left with nothing to read while at work

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #2437
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. It has been great having you guys along for the ride. Had to finish my taxes and continue unwinding here in Arizona. I must say this is a wonderful climate to hang out in. I checked the weather in Nebraska and it is in the 30's this week and snowing. Hmmmmm. I think I'll hang out in sunny AZ for a while before heading north.

Been painting some interior walls for my sister today, eating her excellent home cooking and easing back into life. Such a nice change of pace to when I was younger and had to ride like heck all weekend so I could go to work on Monday. I highly recommend giving yourself some time to adjust after a long ride before diving back into your daily work life. Of course, that is a luxury few can afford.

Have to go. Another plate of French toast needs my attention:

Hasta luego,
John Gordo Gringo Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 12:17 PM
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #2438
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
I can paint walls and I like French toast with strawberries.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #2439
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Eagletalon,

It was about 7000 bucks all in for the 6 months I was on the road. That includes everything. So around 1200 bucks a month. I think 1500 bucks a month is a more reasonable frugal amount for people on a tight budget. It's tough doing it for less if you have to cross the Darien and make it through Central America with all the border crossing fees and relatively expensive gas.

Of course you can spend a lot more than that if you have the money. You could stay in nice places and eat like a king and drink yourself silly if you cared to. But I can't imagine making to Tierra del Fuego from the U.S. for less than 10,000 bucks on a tight budget. And probably most people spend more than that. Not much reported back in ride reports.

Best,
Johnboy
Well, I think I came in at around $20,000 for the whole six months. That includes air freight for the bike from Buenos Aires to Portland and a plane ticket for myself. I didn't live frugally, but on the other hand I wasn't spending like crazy either. I took the middle of the road approach. A quote that I heard somewhere sums it up best: "I spent the majority of my money on motorcycle parts and beer; the rest I just wasted."
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #2440
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Well, I think I came in at around $20,000 for the whole six months. That includes air freight for the bike from Buenos Aires to Portland and a plane ticket for myself. I didn't live frugally, but on the other hand I wasn't spending like crazy either. I took the middle of the road approach. A quote that I heard somewhere sums it up best: "I spent the majority of my money on motorcycle parts and beer; the rest I just wasted."
Hi Brice,

Money comes and goes. I have never regretted the money I spend on travel. Thanks for reporting back. What a ride you had! Those pics of yours from the Careterra Austral and Torres del Paine were epic. Glad to see you made it back safely amigo. From the time I spent with you, I noticed you ate three times as much as me so maybe that explains it. I'll hunt you down in Oregon if you're around this summer.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #2441
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,835
i'll throw a figure in for reference...only have my last 165 days on the road documented, it came to $9800, that included the stahlratte panama to columbia and flying the bike back from Bogata to Miami

if you hang around AZ long enough think about coming to Overland EXPO there will be lots of people who know you electronically
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #2442
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i'll throw a figure in for reference...only have my last 165 days on the road documented, it came to $9800, that included the stahlratte panama to columbia and flying the bike back from Bogata to Miami

if you hang around AZ long enough think about coming to Overland EXPO there will be lots of people who know you electronically
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the financial report. I think its very helpful for people starting to plan their rides to know what a ballpark figure is. 10-20K for six months seems like a reasonable amount to shoot for. I know the DRZ Albanian boys (as in from Albany Oregon) Al and Andy were shooting for 10K for five months and it looked like they were going to overshoot by a couple thousand when I saw them last week in Medellin. Half of that was for liquor though I'm pretty sure:

Just kidding.

Checked out the Overland Expo link and that looks like fun. Alas, I will probably be back home by then. Hope life is treating you well amigo. I always enjoy your entertaining ride reports. Hope to see you down the road someday.

Best,
John

JDowns screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 08:15 PM
Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #2443
scrappyscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I'm going to miss this thread, can't wait for the next installments.
scrappyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #2444
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Continuing to come back to earth here in AZ. Everyone speaks English around here mostly, although I was listening to the Spanish radio station and am amazed at how much more of the staccato rapid fire commercials I can understand. I think I like Colombian Salsa and Brazilian Jazz more than the predominantly Mexican music up here that is heavy on accordians and horns and almost like Latin Polka music.

I was listening to the radio on the way to Home Depot this morning to pick up paint and heard this song:

and realized I've been in big cities for a bit too long. Although I definitely enjoyed threading through traffic in Medellin with the stylish Latina moto gals in six inch stiletto heels, designer clothes and long dark hair flowing from under their helmets, I just can't picture them branding calves, baling hay or fixing fence. I look forward to getting back to the tough independent ranch gals and wide open spaces of the northern plains.

It was 29 degrees and snowing when I checked northern Nebraska weather this morning, so I'll probably wait until the end of the month to head north.

Best,
Nebraska John

JDowns screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 04:44 PM
Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #2445
Big John0021
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Still way back in pages but loving the report
Big John0021 is offline   Reply With Quote