Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #2491
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,635
Ridingagin dropped down for a visit this evening. He flew in for a conference in Phoenix and dropped down to Casa Grande to take me out for dinner and talk of motorcycles, travel, and all things of great importance.

Really nice meeting Dennis. I forgot to take my camera so no pics. Really great guy. As are all the ADVriders I've met in the last six months. I'll have to sign his name on the tank when I get back to Medellin, as he gave a generous donation to the South America Sherpa fund. I've only been back a short while and the ride fund is growing. It's only a matter of time before I'm back ride reporting like a banshee.

Best,
Juan Banshee
Old 04-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #2492
roaming_art
In transit...

Oddometer: 172
JDowns,

I read your first ride report back in 2010 and was so impressed by your outlook on life and your minimalist traveling style that I almost purchased a used Sherpa I found at a dealer for $1500. The Ukrainian in me even haggled the stealer down a bit lower. Still wish I would have picked it up, they never sold here in CA, but the functionalist inside talked me out of a 2nd bike. I couldn’t part with my trusty KLR! That said, your last ride report completely invigorated my desire to get on the road less traveled and take my time. I don’t know if I’ll ever make it down to South America, there’s still so much that I haven’t seen here in the States! Central America alone seems like a place where you can spend years traveling through and only scratch the surface of its people and culture. I’m 25 years young and I just wanted you to know that you are an inspiration to me and I wish more of my generation had values that coincided with yours, I’ve always thought that I was born a couple generations too late. Here’s to you Juan and may you have many more adventures to come!

-Art
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
roaming_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #2493
Tomaso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Finally!

I must be the world's slowest reader; it's taken me about 2 weeks to get through Minimalist Adventure. And now I feel like starting over . . . sort like Lord of the Rings, ya gotta read it twice to fully savor it.

One question, John: do you think it's possible to rent, for a decent price, a 250 or so cc in Medellin? I've seen a number of SA motorcycle rental agencies on the web and they all charge over 100 bucks a day for big bore bikes! That's a lot of money added up over a month of riding. I now believe I could be quite content on something smaller, cheaper, minimal-er.

I'd love to ride my wee-strom from Long Island across the USA, down thru Mexico and Central America, over the Darien Gap and all over South America, but that's not practical at this point in my life. What could work would be a month in Colombia and Ecuador on a cheap rental.

Anyone with any thoughts on the matter?

Cannot wait for your return in the fall to your sweet Sherpa, John. I'll be donating to the cause next time! Though quite possibly I'll be looking for you on those southern roads, if I manage to save enough to make the trip in the fall.

I've enjoyed every moment of your ride report and all of the intelligence, wit and soul you brought to it.
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #2494
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Ridingagin dropped down for a visit this evening. He flew in for a conference in Phoenix and dropped down to Casa Grande to take me out for dinner and talk of motorcycles, travel, and all things of great importance.

Really nice meeting Dennis. I forgot to take my camera so no pics. Really great guy. As are all the ADVriders I've met in the last six months. I'll have to sign his name on the tank when I get back to Medellin, as he gave a generous donation to the South America Sherpa fund. I've only been back a short while and the ride fund is growing. It's only a matter of time before I'm back ride reporting like a banshee.

Best,
Juan Banshee
Hey Juan Banshee,
Good to have an eye to eye and discuss travels and tips.

I forgot to get a photo also as I had my iPhone. I guess it was a long day, but I will have to figure out another time to meet again. Maybe at the Shamrock. Take car Amigo.

Dennis
:-D
Old 04-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #2495
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaming_art View Post
JDowns,

I read your first ride report back in 2010 and was so impressed by your outlook on life and your minimalist traveling style that I almost purchased a used Sherpa I found at a dealer for $1500. The Ukrainian in me even haggled the stealer down a bit lower. Still wish I would have picked it up, they never sold here in CA, but the functionalist inside talked me out of a 2nd bike. I couldn’t part with my trusty KLR! That said, your last ride report completely invigorated my desire to get on the road less traveled and take my time. I don’t know if I’ll ever make it down to South America, there’s still so much that I haven’t seen here in the States! Central America alone seems like a place where you can spend years traveling through and only scratch the surface of its people and culture. I’m 25 years young and I just wanted you to know that you are an inspiration to me and I wish more of my generation had values that coincided with yours, I’ve always thought that I was born a couple generations too late. Here’s to you Juan and may you have many more adventures to come!

-Art
Hey thanks Art. CA has plenty of great riding on back country roads. I still dream of Hwy 36 through the coast range, the gravel roads overlooking Big Sur, cranking through the Trinity National Forest, as well as all the minor passes through the Sierra.

You have a lifetime of great riding ahead of you. ADVriding is a state of mind. No need to ride to South America to have a great time on the roads less traveled.

A Sherpa for under 1500 bucks? Art???? What were you thinking passing that up? Just kidding.

Best luck,
Juan Abuelo
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #2496
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaso View Post
I must be the world's slowest reader; it's taken me about 2 weeks to get through Minimalist Adventure. And now I feel like starting over . . . sort like Lord of the Rings, ya gotta read it twice to fully savor it.

One question, John: do you think it's possible to rent, for a decent price, a 250 or so cc in Medellin? I've seen a number of SA motorcycle rental agencies on the web and they all charge over 100 bucks a day for big bore bikes! That's a lot of money added up over a month of riding. I now believe I could be quite content on something smaller, cheaper, minimal-er.

I'd love to ride my wee-strom from Long Island across the USA, down thru Mexico and Central America, over the Darien Gap and all over South America, but that's not practical at this point in my life. What could work would be a month in Colombia and Ecuador on a cheap rental.

Anyone with any thoughts on the matter?

Cannot wait for your return in the fall to your sweet Sherpa, John. I'll be donating to the cause next time! Though quite possibly I'll be looking for you on those southern roads, if I manage to save enough to make the trip in the fall.

I've enjoyed every moment of your ride report and all of the intelligence, wit and soul you brought to it.
Hi Tomaso,

The DRZ boys were looking for any bike to rent in Medellin when their friend flew in for the week and they struck out. It's a tough business. Anything over a 125cc is super expensive in Colombia and the bikes get thrashed so a lot of rental companies come and go. There is nobody in Medellin at the moment.

As far as I know, there is only Mike at Motolombia in Cali who is reliable and rents decent bikes. But yes they are expensive. Maybe email Mike and see if he has a 250 for rent that isn't on his internet list.

You can't take rentals across borders usually. I seem to remember someone in Ecuador that rented 250 Hondas. So 2 weeks in Colombia and 2 week rental in Ecuador.

Compared to flying your bike to Colombia and back, 100 bucks a day is not the end of the world. If I had the money and limited vacation time I'd do it. I met a dentist from Canada up in the Colombian mountains who flew down and rented an F800GS from Motolombia and he was having plenty of fun. There is no cheap way to get a bike to South America.

Best luck amigo.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #2497
FoolishADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Hi FoolishADV,

I'm in Casa Grande at the moment stuccoing Trevorheaths cement block fence. Should be back in Apache Junction by Sunday or sooner. I'll PM you the address when I get there. Look forward to meeting you amigo.

Kindest regards,
Juan Stucco
I saw the pics. Now that's some serious ADV karma!

t
FoolishADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #2498
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Music is the rhythm of life. I was listening to a classic rock station this morning. I remember this song going through my head down in the Darien after my bike got smashed on the docks. Cue it up on your iPod next time
you ride into the ditch and the situation looks dire. It might lift your spirits and bring a smile to your face. It sure did for me. The intro even sounds like metal parts getting smashed:

When life is too much, roll with it, baby
Don't stop and lose your touch, oh no, baby
Hard times knocking on your door
I'll tell them you ain't there no more
Get on through it, roll with it, baby
Luck'll come and then slip away,Yu've gotta move, bring it back to stay.

You just roll with it, baby
Come on and just roll with it, baby
You and me (your bike), roll with it, baby
Hang on and just roll with it, baby

Kindest regards,
Juan Música

JDowns screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 11:47 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #2499
low-post lurker

Oddometer: 204
I just wasted 2 days of my employer's time catching up on this. You truly have a gift for story telling...
I think a how-to book on minimalist touring might be a good project for you. I'd sure be interested. I always would pack a ton of stuff just for a weekend, but then again I was packing a wife also.
Chapters on gear, clothing, bike choice, stealth camping, money management, eating cheap, roadside maintenance & repair, getting along with strangers & local cops, & whatever tips & tricks you can share. Maybe not specific to any country, just good general info.
Can't wait for the return trip. Thanks for sharing.
Ray

396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #2500
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396 View Post
I just wasted 2 days of my employer's time catching up on this. You truly have a gift for story telling...
I think a how-to book on minimalist touring might be a good project for you. I'd sure be interested. I always would pack a ton of stuff just for a weekend, but then again I was packing a wife also.
Chapters on gear, clothing, bike choice, stealth camping, money management, eating cheap, roadside maintenance & repair, getting along with strangers & local cops, & whatever tips & tricks you can share. Maybe not specific to any country, just good general info.
Can't wait for the return trip. Thanks for sharing.
Ray
Already been done. In a way.

Read the "SURVIVE!" section.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #2501
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Music is the rhythm of life. I was listening to a classic rock station this morning. I remember this song going through my head down in the Darien after my bike got smashed on the docks. Cue it up on your iPod next time
you ride into the ditch and the situation looks dire. It might lift your spirits and bring a smile to your face. It sure did for me. The intro even sounds like metal parts getting smashed:

When life is too much, roll with it, baby
Don't stop and lose your touch, oh no, baby
Hard times knocking on your door
I'll tell them you ain't there no more
Get on through it, roll with it, baby
Luck'll come and then slip away,Yu've gotta move, bring it back to stay.

You just roll with it, baby
Come on and just roll with it, baby
You and me (your bike), roll with it, baby
Hang on and just roll with it, baby

Kindest regards,
Juan Música
Thanks John,
I need this in my life now. You must know I love you by now.
Life in solitude creeping toward outer edge of compliance trying to escape the clutches of normality is my aim.
Screw all nay sayers and safe players.
House is in sale contract, my health is not going to be better later and the only thing still confusing me is whether I should throw all possessions away and roam the earth or park all this crap somewhere and have some time to plan my trips.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #2502
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Thanks John,
I need this in my life now. You must know I love you by now.
Life in solitude creeping toward outer edge of compliance trying to escape the clutches of normality is my aim.
Screw all nay sayers and safe players.
House is in sale contract, my health is not going to be better later and the only thing still confusing me is whether I should throw all possessions away and roam the earth or park all this crap somewhere and have some time to plan my trips.

Cheers,
Vic
Hi Vic,

I sold everything I owned and traveled around the world in my earlier years. I had a giant garage sale and sold 42,000 dollars worth of stuff in a month. The problem with getting rid of everything is that when I got tired of vagabonding after a year it was back to buying the same basic stuff of life for living and working.

My advice is to store a minimalist set of your more expensive nice things for your eventual return. Have a giant garage sale or get rid of the rest.

Although I must admit it was like a load off my back not having any possesions for a year. Nothing to worry about. No overhead. Just travel to new countries and see what was over the next mountain range.

Hope this helps,
Juan Vagabond
Old 04-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #2503
craftsmanjoc
In for the long haul

Oddometer: 21
So much flippin fun

Hey JD
Been following since the beginning. Thanks again. I'm not one to really comment but wanted to say hey. It would be cool to see a picture collage of all our names that were on your tank. I'm headed south on July 5th. I loo for ya this fall.
JC
craftsmanjoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #2504
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanjoc View Post
Hey JD
Been following since the beginning. Thanks again. I'm not one to really comment but wanted to say hey. It would be cool to see a picture collage of all our names that were on your tank. I'm headed south on July 5th. I loo for ya this fall.
JC
Hi craftsmanjoc,

Glad you are still following along. I will get right on a pic of the gas tank when I get back to Colombia. Just need to touch up the faded names with a fresh permanent marker.

Do a live ride report if you can. You won't regret it, and it will give me some good reading material while I'm working over the summer.

Hope to see you down south next fall amigo.

Buena suerte,
Juanito
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #2505
hakes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Awesome ride report just got caught up after weeks reading on and off. This is my favorite one that I have read so far. Looking forward to the next chapter. Liked seeing all the ruins with your dialog. Thanks for the great read John.
hakes is offline   Reply With Quote