Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #2641
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
thank you for sharing the RR

I have really enjoyed reading your ride report. I really appreciate you putting prices of lodging and food, that is very helpful. Wish everybody did that. Can't wait for the next edition.

Doug
Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #2642
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGTHESUN View Post
I have really enjoyed reading your ride report. I really appreciate you putting prices of lodging and food, that is very helpful. Wish everybody did that. Can't wait for the next edition.

Doug
Hi Doug,

Glad to have you along. I had to do a google search to see where the Flatirons are. Looks nice. I will continue to report back prices for food and lodging when I get back down to Colombia in the fall. I know that is useful info that I have benefited from on others ride reports.

As it turns out, Tulsa Oklahoma has the cheapest prices so far on my wanderings. No cost to stay in this mother-in-law that I remodeled last month while I continue buffing out the house next door. My current ride report office from the couch I dragged up from the basement:

Plus they loaded me up with BBQ steak and shrimp leftovers from Fathers Day so my food costs are zero this week. Well except the Tulsa Tuesday Pub Crawl this evening with all the ADVriders in the area.

I could spend some time in Tulsa. Nice folks around these parts. Actually what am I saying? I have been here for over a month. Another couple weeks and I'll have to leave the vortex of tornado alley and hit the highway.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #2643
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Had a fun evening hanging out with the local Tulsa ADVridrer crew this evening;

i wish I could afford to ride these bikes:

I am eternally thankful to Throttlemeister for pointing me to his brother. I finished re-doing his brother's second bathroom. Here are some before and after shots:

100 year old shower before;

and after:

bathroom before:

and after:

That bathroom was as bad as it gets in residential remodeling.

Throttlemeister's family thinks the world of him. The funny thing is, I don't think he ever hears about it. It's a plains state kind of thing I'm pretty sure. I know my Grandpa kept trying to beat the positive mental attitude out of me. Didn't want me to get a big head and think I was something special. He was of the life is hard and then you die school of thought and I think it used to aggravate the hell out of him that I was goofing off and having fun all the time.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #2644
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 363
If you ever come to NC, I've got a bathroom that needs a makeover.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #2645
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
If you ever come to NC, I've got a bathroom that needs a makeover.
Hi drdubb,

You're number four on the list for the 2014 Summer ADVrider Hobo Remodeling Tour (S.A.H.R.T.). It turns out that corporate sponsors aren't interested in funding my South America Sherpa adventures so I'm having fun coming up with travel money the old fashioned way.

I have to say, buffing out ADVrider's houses is the most fun I've had in a long time. I look forward to riding South America and keeping you entertained next winter until I run out of money and return stateside for more remodeling adventures in 2014.

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 02:10 PM
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #2646
staticPort
Meditrider

Oddometer: 148
... next in line ...

Sure have enjoyed your odyssey JD! Hope it's not too late to get in line for services in summer 2014 or '15. Got a cabin in East Tennessee that needs work, will PM details.

Write on!

Clif
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #2647
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
John,

If you need a fifth, or ever want to escape the winter cold and come down to Texas, I have a small 1920's bungalo on a couple acres that needs some "buffing out". I've got it level, foundation and roof good, sheetrock in. It needs a bathroom, kitchen installed, floors refinished, and a few windows fixed. Thompson, TX...40 miles from downtown Houston.

Peter
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #2648
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadman View Post
John,

If you need a fifth, or ever want to escape the winter cold and come down to Texas, I have a small 1920's bungalo on a couple acres that needs some "buffing out". I've got it level, foundation and roof good, sheetrock in. It needs a bathroom, kitchen installed, floors refinished, and a few windows fixed. Thompson, TX...40 miles from downtown Houston.

Peter
Hi Peter,

More than happy to be of service. I'll be in South America continuing this ride report starting October through next winter, but later in 2014 if you still need work done I'd be honored to help out.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #2649
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,525
is this still a ride report,? If not move it
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #2650
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticPort View Post
Sure have enjoyed your odyssey JD! Hope it's not too late to get in line for services in summer 2014 or '15. Got a cabin in East Tennessee that needs work, will PM details.

Write on!

Clif
Hi Clif,

I got your message. If I understand you right you have an air-conditioned room, food, a WR250 to ride?
Hell yes, I'll be in Tennessee in 2014. I think you are the last person though. 2014 looks booked for the S.A.H.R.T. tour.

Your pal,
John
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #2651
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
is this still a ride report,? If not move it
Hi 805gregg,

Sorry if I offended you. Yes it is still a ride report, but your point is well taken. I'll stick to ride reporting from now on and respond to other stuff by PM from now on and ask that others do the same.

Until I have more riding to report I'll shut my yap. Thanks for the heads up amigo.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #2652
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
I like it....

Every day is a new adventure!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #2653
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 880
Hey dude, my buddy might want some work done in Tulsa in september/october, you sticking around there?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #2654
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
From the perspective of some of who quietly follows and very much enjoys this thread daily. I hope it continues as is. I dont know what Mr. 805s problem is, but part of the interest of this thread from the begining has been all of the periphery points of interest and skills relating to the expertice, life and times of the OP. After all there is more to life than dirt roads, camp sites, mountain vistas, beaches, great food and friends. Well maybe not much more. Carry on.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #2655
Connito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
From the perspective of some of who quietly follows and very much enjoys this thread daily. I hope it continues as is. I dont know what Mr. 805s problem is, but part of the interest of this thread from the begining has been all of the periphery points of interest and skills relating to the expertice, life and times of the OP. After all there is more to life than dirt roads, camp sites, mountain vistas, beaches, great food and friends. Well maybe not much more. Carry on.
Very well said! I am also one of those quietly following your report from just about the first day. It is a great source of information about border crossings, places to stay and daily costs, but mostly it is very entertaining! I am looking forward to the updates every day, even while you are in the US. It is very well written and I enjoy it very much! I believe that making money the "old fashioned" way to sponsor your trip to South America is just brilliant! Not to mention that it is a great idea for some people who could possibly follow your steps. Please continue to entertain us!

All the best,
Pete (hopefully Pedro someday:-)

Neil Peart

Connito screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 06:53 AM
Closed Thread