Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #586
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
This afternoon I wandered around backroads and hiked up pyramids. Never made it out of the State of Campeche (Com-pay-chay). The only main road over to the next State of Quintana Roo is straight as an arrow in most places:

Just set the bulldozers on autopilot and let 'em rip through the undergrowth and pave a straight line seems to be the program down here in the flats of the Yucatan.

Whenever a side road pointed down towards a pyramid the bike turned. Sometimes I ended up at a lake;

or down a road these guys were strutting down;

finally went down this road to the lost world of Balam-Ku:

It got progressively worse and more cracked which is always a good sign. Finally came to a parking lot and paid a 35 peso entry fee to walk up this jeep trail for a half mile out into the jungle:

I was the only one out here in the middle of nowhere. Nice original ruins with living areas and progressively bigger pyramids as you walked through the jungle. I won't bore you with more pyramid pictures. Well maybe just a few.

Nice original wall with great sculpted stone masks inset:

This is fairly recently discovered and isn't on any map. Mexico historical society sent the C team of masons out here to embellish the ruins and their work is so crappy I bet even you can see the junk they piled on the 4x8 wooden lintels they added to make a doorway out of a grand entrance to the lower pyramid:

The Mayans down here were using the same square rectilinear facing stones as the boys over at El Tigre. Really nice work on the doorway and back wall. You can see the Mexican additions on this wall and crap cornice. I don't know what they were thinking adding this stuff to such fine original masonry:

The lower minor pyramid had been mostly rebuilt by the C team with only the bottom four stairs and some sidewall remaining from the fine Mayan work:

more later as the pictures upload on this Yucatan dial up here in Xpujil (Ish-poo-heel)

JDowns screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 07:09 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #587
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The upper large pyramid was the piece de resistance. Half ton limestone stairs two feet tall on the bottom ten steps. These boys were no dummies they put the 500 pounders on the upper stairs. Nothing compared to what Cheops had his boys doing over in Egypt 4000 years earlier mind you, but still impressive:

Fabulous rounded corners on this pyramid:

and climbing a staircase, the caretaker unlocked this doorway:

that led into a huge forty foot long gallery with ten foot tall stone sculptures that were truly awe inspiring. You weren't allowed to use a flash for some reason so these were the sculptures nearest the door. Ten feet tall and coated in red plaster:

The color and size doesn't come through in this blurry pic. Nicer than anything I saw at Palenque. Truly impressive work. These guys were artists. Really nice work out here in the middle of nowhere.

I made the mistake of stopping to eat and ran out of daylight. They didn't want me camping at the lost world, and I really want to follow a road down out in the middle of nowhere near the border of Belize and Guatemala 40 miles into the jungle and see some new ruins down there tomorrow so kept riding until I found a cheapish hotel for 250 pesos. The prices in the Yucatan are like Baja. Mucho dinero. So I spent 578 pesos or 46.24 today on gas food, entrance fees and lodging. But totally worth it.

Adios amigos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 07:39 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #588
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Okay Idahosam,

Dos Ojos it is after a swim in Xel-ha. It looks like I will be transitioning from Pyramid aerobics to aqua-aerobics in the next few days as soon as I get some swim trunks. I'll spend the money and report back. I owe it to all my devoted sponsors to report back with pics to keep them entertained until their next big ride.

Have you left Idaho yet?

Saludos,
Juanito
You sir are exactly where I want to be! I love Quintana Roo to Oaxaca and back again Met a great guy who runs a small Hotel in Bacalar... so are you ready for this....Hotel Posada I think there's more than one with that name down there.

His names Alain; 250 pesos a night for a room. Chetumal is another little known jewel. I better shut-up

I almost have enough money to head back down.... your killing me man. Oh on the way into Chetumal just past the Check Point across the street from a Pemex is a vendor who sells Pollo Askado well a year ago it was pretty good.

No, really I'll shut up now Sorry

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #589
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
You sir are exactly where I want to be! I love Quintana Roo to Oaxaca and back again Met a great guy who runs a small Hotel in Bacalar... so are you ready for this....Hotel Posada I think there's more than one with that name down there.

His names Alain; 250 pesos a night for a room. Chetumal is another little known jewel. I better shut-up

I almost have enough money to head back down.... your killing me man. Oh on the way into Chetumal just past the Check Point across the street from a Pemex is a vendor who sells Pollo Askado well a year ago it was pretty good.

No, really I'll shut up now Sorry
My man Sam,

It's folks like you that make this ride more fun. I'm not too bright and can use all the ideas you can throw at me.
Like Alain in Bacalar. Or Dos Osos.

Keep it up. People reading this need to know the good spots to go.

You could sell the Katoom and hit the highway with the proceeds on that other kickass bike of yours. Just an idea. Quintana Roo is calling. No need to freeze your butt off up in Idaho this winter.

Saludos,
Juanito.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #590
Team Vegas
98.6°

Oddometer: 196
In enjoying the ride
Team Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #591
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,310
Wow! I'm glued to this John.

Nice ruins you found there, I love that stuff.

This is exactly the same time of year I was there for the first time in 1976. Lots of rain down south. Glad you are taking your time and reporting all this stuff.

The accounting is such as bonus, thank you oh so much.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #592
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Wow! I'm glued to this John.

Nice ruins you found there, I love that stuff.

This is exactly the same time of year I was there for the first time in 1976. Lots of rain down south. Glad you are taking your time and reporting all this stuff.

The accounting is such as bonus, thank you oh so much.
Yes, I check the weather and it is still forecast to be raining every day in Costa Rica this week. I hate camping in the rain.

Yucatan is a nice diversion. The rainy season is slowly sagging south as November turns to December.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #593
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Vegas View Post
In enjoying the ride
Hi Team Vegas,

Glad to have you along. It's only a matter of time before you head down here as well. Reading ride reports is the first step down a slippery slope.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #594
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 487
Do you have gps coords for the ruinas you found?
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #595
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
My man Sam,

It's folks like you that make this ride more fun. I'm not too bright and can use all the ideas you can throw at me.
Like Alain in Bacalar. Or Dos Osos.

Keep it up. People reading this need to know the good spots to go.

You could sell the Katoom and hit the highway with the proceeds on that other kickass bike of yours. Just an idea. Quintana Roo is calling. No need to freeze your butt off up in Idaho this winter.

Saludos,
Juanito.
Aside from your being a witty writer and in all likelihood............. probably an outstanding Orator of BS, You make this very entertaining. So folks like me do nothing more than provide a future preverbal anecdotal from you.

In regards to my Katoom, I too pondered but after all the work I put into it It's difficult to do. I did nothing to that bike (other than oil changes) for three years and flogged it; that said, I think a DRZ 400 would more than suffice for travels south of the border. You do understand your damn thread has me salivating uncontrollably right now. and the colder it's getting here well.....................

Belize, so many people blow by Belize or fail to recognize it's presence on the quest south (mostly due to time constraints) if your in no hurry you can go through to Guatemala putting you close to Tikal.

Belize is a former British colony as in "British Honduras" hence it is a English speaking country, albeit everyone is bilingual. with a multitude of blended ethnicity . Most folks just blast through but I'd say give it a week. Gasoline is very expensive there, last year it was 5.30 a gal USD

Oh where's the location of that last ruins you visited?

Aldous Huxley
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #596
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Sam dont sell the Katoom, you will regret it.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #597
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Sam dont sell the Katoom, you will regret it.
My man Vinnie Now after all of what I've done to her these last few weeks Valves, plugs, filters, flush, massage, etc. she's running like new.... I'm ready to head south again. I have other things I can sell, if'n someone would buy them.

So where's your mighty steed packed away?

Sorry John, no hijack, just a slight diversion. and now back to our program.

Aldous Huxley
Old 11-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #598
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Happy Thanksgiving from one Zombie camp rider to another.
Dirt2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #599
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
My man Vinnie Now after all of what I've done to her these last few weeks Valves, plugs, filters, flush, massage, etc. she's running like new.... I'm ready to head south again. I have other things I can sell, if'n someone would buy them.

So where's your mighty steed packed away?

Sorry John, no hijack, just a slight diversion. and now back to our program.
Diversion away. I've been out in the jungle finding more ruins. Somebody has to keep this thread going while I'm wandering around getting lost.

I've never been to Belize. Always have skipped the Yucatan and Belize. So probably time to stop by and see what's there. My bike doesn't use much gas and it's a small country so why not?

You have good ideas, like not selling Katie Em. Glad you're following this report.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 11-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #600
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving from one Zombie camp rider to another.
Thanks!

I'm still wearing my Zombie camp shirt today and it isn't any cleaner than it was yesterday. Especially after climbing pyramids, hiking in the jungle, and sweating like a pig .

Speaking of pigs, I hope to make it to SLAP next year. You guys know how to have fun!

Kindest regards,
Nebraska John