Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #631
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
It is difficult not to post in your RR Juanito.

There is something more than serendipity happening here me thinks.
Post #548 and the Mayan mask...

Best Regards,
OldPete
Hi OldPete,

You are welcome to post as much as you like in this ride report on any topic your heart desires. As a Chief Executive and sponsor you have unlimited access.

Best,
Juanito
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #632
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer: 226
Tires and pumps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I didn't think to take a reading when I was out at the turn-around mud pit.

I spent 457 pesos or $36.56 on food, gas, internet, rear tube, patches and a hand pump yesterday.

Juanito
Hey John, I thought you had a 12V mini-pump? Why the hand pump? I must say you are a brave man to tackle the mud pits with a nearly bald back tire. Or did you change it? I guess there are places to get a 4.10-18 in Belize.

Do the lobsters off of Yucatan taste the same as they do in Maine? My wife and I wound up spending three days in the same place during our bike trip to Maine a few years ago. A lobster pound was the cause--they taste much better fresh boiled in sea water. I would have been tempted to keep company with Robert for a few days and help with the lobster harvest.

Sherpa related--we took our first winter ride with the Sherpa last weekend. I used an electric jacket liner for much of the day and the little bike handled the extra electrical load just fine. We are so glad that you are taking your time and turning down all those side roads. Thanks.
RayAlazzurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #633
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAlazzurra View Post
Hey John, I thought you had a 12V mini-pump? Why the hand pump? I must say you are a brave man to tackle the mud pits with a nearly bald back tire. Or did you change it? I guess there are places to get a 4.10-18 in Belize.

Do the lobsters off of Yucatan taste the same as they do in Maine? My wife and I wound up spending three days in the same place during our bike trip to Maine a few years ago. A lobster pound was the cause--they taste much better fresh boiled in sea water. I would have been tempted to keep company with Robert for a few days and help with the lobster harvest.

Sherpa related--we took our first winter ride with the Sherpa last weekend. I used an electric jacket liner for much of the day and the little bike handled the extra electrical load just fine. We are so glad that you are taking your time and turning down all those side roads. Thanks.
Hi RA,

The Sherpa rear tire still has knobs. That pic where the tire looks bald was taken after spinning through the mud and ruts and the tire and bike got completely caked so the tread disappeared until I hit a dry section and the mud all spun off.

I have a 12V pump but the wire broke off and I had to hold it together on the last flat repair. Juaqin soldered it back together but it got me thinking that if I was out in the sticks and the walmart battery powered pump bit it, I would have to hoof it or catch a ride in a collectivo to get air. This can be a long way out here in the sticks and cost a lot. So when I picked up a new tube in Bacalar yesterday they had a slick small hand pump for 80 pesos ($4.80). I bought it along with some patches.

Mind you I almost never have flats. But I have been pounding down some pretty rough roads this trip so I went the Eagle scout be prepared route on this.

I am no langosta (lobster) expert, but it tasted good to me. Glad you are enjoying your Sherpa. It's a good bike.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #634
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Where I camped in Xcalak this morning at first light;

Very tranquil place. Here is Robert's hammock by the sea and a fire for making early morning coffee:

We bought some eggs, potatoes, onions, garlic, bacon, avocados and tortillas off a truck that makes the rounds to the tiendas. Here Robert is cooking up some bacon on a coconut husk fire on the beach:

Very filling. As much as I enjoy the hobo beach bum lifestyle I must travel onward this morning and check out some more remote places before heading to Belize.

More later….

Adios amigos,
Juanito
Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #635
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Mind you I almost never have flats.
Juanito

Bad idea to say that.

Great stuff Juanito, you are now in your traveling groove for sure.

Shit, now I need to go ride the Yucatan. January sounds like a good time.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #636
Ruan
Adventurer to be

Oddometer: 78
Awesome RR and pics. Congratulations

Portugal to Andorra in 1984
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817041
Ruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #637
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Subsrcibed

nvklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #638
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Bad idea to say that.

Hay, Hay, Hay........ let's not spread this! That's what I liked about this area off the beaten path. OK Jaunito, let's tone it down now.................... When did you say your heading into Belize Make sure and ride the Hummingbird Highway (old English narrow Gage railway, now a road.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #639
beerguy
adrenaline junky

Oddometer: 30
add another day to your trip

proud owner of a new to me 2001 sherpa. I look for all threads involving sherpas. stumbled on yours two days ago. just caught up. subscribed, donated and looking forward to the rest of your trip. recently took up off road travel after strictly pavement. planning a week on the TAT next spring with a buddy who just bought an '09 KLX 250s. you inspire our desire to go minimalist.
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #640
lualca
motero

Oddometer: 13
Yet

Yet (try to explain that word in Spanish ) I think your super sherpa is the tool for the job. Just sayin'.

Yet can have to meanings in spanish, if you used it refering to time:" todavia", but in this case refering to an alternative: "sin embargo"
hope it helps
lualca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #641
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Bad idea to say that.

There's a lot of long straight riding on the main roads getting to the cool stuff, but yes, I think you need to come down here. Your KTM could rip down the long lonely highway out here in between the good back roads.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #642
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruan View Post
Awesome RR and pics. Congratulations
Muchas gracias Ruan,

Glad to have you along.

Saludos,
Juan
Old 11-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #643
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

So after riding down the straight and narrow this afternoon for a couple hundred miles I arrived at Tulum ruinas at 4:30PM. It closes at 4:15.

Ah well. I think I'll ride down to Punta Allen and see if I can find a cheap place to stay. This place is a zoo filled with touristas. But hey, I'm just a tourist as well. Nothing wrong with that. The most good looking gringas I've seen in a while that's for sure.

No pictures worth posting today. I spent 348 pesos on gas and food so far. Not sure if I can camp in this zoo so I may have to add some habitacion costs to the total.

I'm catching some free wifi at a hotel that has a password that is the name of the hotel. Just thought I'd give it a try and it worked, so I'm typing away in the parking lot at my desk which is the back topcase with the lid popped up.

It's getting late and I better go find someplace to stay and come back for ruins gawking mañana.

Adios amigos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 03:18 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #644
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Hay, Hay, Hay........ let's not spread this! That's what I liked about this area off the beaten path. OK Jaunito, let's tone it down now.................... When did you say your heading into Belize Make sure and ride the Hummingbird Highway (old English narrow Gage railway, now a road.
Hi Sam,

Hummingbird highway. Check chief. I'll get right on finding out where that is. I like the sound of it.

Suerte,
Juan
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #645
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
proud owner of a new to me 2001 sherpa. I look for all threads involving sherpas. stumbled on yours two days ago. just caught up. subscribed, donated and looking forward to the rest of your trip. recently took up off road travel after strictly pavement. planning a week on the TAT next spring with a buddy who just bought an '09 KLX 250s. you inspire our desire to go minimalist.
Hi beerguy,

I can't wait to write your name on the side of the gas tank as a proud sponsor. It looks like we have Co-Executive directors of the food and beverage division now. Hope Craftsmanjoc doesn't mind sharing this prestigious position on the Executive Council.

Much appreciated!

Best,
Juanguy

JDowns screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 03:34 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote