Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #931
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Took the day off yesterday. Starting with pancake breakfast at Las Macadamias with Julio and Luisa as well as Richard and Suzanne (Richsuz), ADVriders from Guatemala City. Forgot to take my camera so no pictures.

Came back to do my laundry but the entrance to the hostel was flooded. The PVC plumbing pipes in this place are coming in from the street over the floor and protected with a wooden step cover. The exposed pipe had cracked and water was spraying everywhere. I could have fixed it in 15 minutes with some hot blue glue and a slip-fix. The water was off all day as they fixed it Guatemalan style.

So I'll do my laundry today instead and head to Honduras tomorrow. Antigua is an easy place to hang out. The internet was out here yesterday. Probably wet phone lines I imagine. I'll go down the street and post this later if it doesn't come back on today.

No water and no internet means no backpackers staying here tonight. Just ratbikemike and myself. It is interesting to see how important wifi is to the backpacking crowd. When the internet went out in Flores near Tikal, the backpackers fled the place like rats off a sinking ship. If you want a serene hostel experience, cut the phone lines. Just kidding. That would be WRONG.

People ask me, "Is riding a motorcycle in Latin America dangerous?" I'm sure it is. I'm not the right person to ask. I've been doing it so long it seems normal to me. People can scare themselves to death thinking too much about all the bad things that might happen in life. It's more useful to redirect your thinking to avoiding the obstacles, keeping a positive mental attitude and finding the smoothest way through.

I don't waste too much time planning and have never made a reservation in my life. Although now that I think about it, E-mailing people on the tentspace list for the first time this trip might qualify as a reservation. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I might do more planning in the future. Some of the best times I've had on this ride were thanks to fellow ADVriders.

I do love the freedom of traveling solo. That way there is nobody to ask. And if the weather is crap on one side of a country in the morning, you can head to the sunny side. Stop where you like to take as many pictures as you want. Take the day off if you don't feel like riding. Or if it's cold in the mountains, you can head to the warm beaches.

What is wrong with this picture?

Laying out a tile floor is a bit like playing chess. You have to think several moves ahead. Especially transitions. When the tile layout is off by an inch at a transition, the proper way to make this turn would have been to cut an 1/8" off the last 8 rows before the turn so the field tiles would have been full tiles throughout and no need for diagonal cuts or this goofy diagonal row of tiles to try and hide the mistake. Or better yet, if this wasn't a remodeling addition, start at the critical transition and work your way towards the back of the hostel. Just an FYI in case you find yourself setting tile for some reason. Most people wouldn't notice this glaring mistake I imagine. Every tile setter who comes through this hostel will, I guarantee it.

When you break a few Greco design border tiles or somehow end up 5 short, best to start at the entrance and omit the border tiles back at the service entrance or in a closet where fewer people will notice instead of the other way around:

Or better yet, order more border tile and come back to replace the solid tiles with border tiles when they come in next month.

Random observations from the roads less traveled. I spent 102 quetzales yesterday on food and lodging not counting breakfast. I'm not saying how much that was since it was my pleasure to treat the GuateRiders and my new friends the Richsuz's.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 05:47 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #932
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Was reading Kedgi's Lobsters to Llamas ride report and borrowed his pictures of a Super Sherpa he met in Colombia. Australian gal riding around the world for the last six years has over 100,000 trouble free miles on her Sherpa:

They're tough little bikes. Nice to see what mine will look like in another 70,000 miles. Hope my bike gets to meet his bad-ass Ozzie cousin down the road.

Siempre,
Juan de Nepal con Sherpa
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #933
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Or better yet, order more border tile and come back to replace the solid tiles with border tiles when they come in next month.

Or just live with it.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #934
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post

Or just live with it.
True, there is that option. I would rather live with it in the closet and not have to see it every time I came in the front door. But that's just me.

Best,
Johnboy
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #935
richsuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Took the day off yesterday. Starting with pancake breakfast at Las Macadamias with Julio and Luisa as well as Richard and Suzanne (Richsuz), ADVriders from Guatemala City. Forgot to take my camera so no pictures.

Random observations from the roads less traveled. I spent 102 quetzales yesterday on food and lodging not counting breakfast. I'm not saying how much that was since it was my pleasure to treat the GuateRiders and my new friends the Richsuz's.

Saludos,
Juanito
I loaded this picture to FB. Do you have/use Facebook?

richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #936
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
True, there is that option. I would rather live with it in the closet and not have to see it every time I came in the front door. But that's just me.

Best,
Johnboy
I understand.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #937
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz View Post
I loaded this picture to FB. Do you have/use Facebook?

Hi richsuz,

Glad there are back-up photographers to fill in the missing pictures on this ride report.

It was so nice meeting you and Suzanne!

I think I'm the only person on the planet not on Facebook. I suppose I should look into it. Probably a good way to get in touch with people and share pictures.

Everytime I look at a picture of Mark Zuckerberg I get kind of creeped out and avoid joining up. I should get over it.

Saludos,
John
Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #938
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
Regarding tile work and such:

Good to see math is not a strong point of the CA peoples. Perhaps the World will not end on Friday after all

When we travel and see stuff like this I love it. Thanks so much for the observations and commentary, it's right up my street!

I wouldn't bother with Facebook John, it's a time waster, too much crap and not enough motorcycles!

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #939
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:

I think I'm the only person on the planet not on Facebook.
That makes 2 of us. Facebook is against my religion.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #940
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
+3 and my girl friend.
We should find a way to get together and talk about it.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #941
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
+3 and my girl friend.
We should find a way to get together and talk about it.
Hi YOGOI,

I don't think there's anything to talk about. Facebook is an ad venture and this is an ADVenture. If Facebook is against Vin's religion, that's good enough for me. I always suspected that Zuckerberg was the anti-Crashmaster. Now I know.

Not that I have anything against all the women here staring at baby pictures on their phones and texting their girlfriends on Facebook. Nothing wrong with that.

The thing is, when I'm not riding I'd rather waste my time reading ride reports and checking out pics of Super Sherpas with 100k miles on them.

Best,
John Downs
Old 12-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #942
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Hi YOGOI,
I don't think there's anything to talk about. Facebook is an ad venture and this is an ADVenture. If Facebook is against Vin's religion, that's good enough for me. I always suspected that Zuckerberg was the anti-Crashmaster. Now I know.
Nooooooo!!!! I thought I was the ONLY one not having facebook... you guys are bringing me down, I previously thought I was the only one to ride a motorcycle to South America... what do I have to do to be the only one? Walk on the moon???
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #943
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Mon frère dans l'aventure,

You are the one and only nightflyer Quebequois from Kazak posting on this ride report.

If that doesn't impress the women, you'll have to rely strictly on your good looks and fat wallet.

Joyeux noel et bonne année,
Jean Thomas
Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #944
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
That makes 2 of us. Facebook is against my religion.

Add me to this list as well !!! Not only against my religion but also because I do not want to cooperate with big brother watching me
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #945
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Add me to this list as well !!! Not only against my religion but also because I do not want to cooperate with big brother watching me
Thou shalt not Facebook.