Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #1006
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
John,

Can you please write us something about how you manage to stay safe, by pure luck, doing research and go around places you are not supposed to be, or safety down there is just not a concern, and anyone with common sense could travel safe. I have a Colombian colleague who claims when he visits home never takes out his cell phone except in public places that have security, or wears a watch or other personal items that would be desirable, he dresses plainly not like in USA. During my Alaska trip last summer I met and spoke to some Colombians who said if I wanted to ride there, I better not take "that motorcycle" (my GS 1200) as it attracts attention and I may be asked to "donate it". Not that you would have to worry about that, but I just love the comfort of my 83 K miles fat girl and she is all I have now and am not going to buy a second bike for the trip South, I have traveled and got lost in central Mexico and felt people were genuinely nice, but occasionally you can sense a weird vibe now and then, Then one night in San Miguel De Allende I heard what appeared to be fireworks but were in fact AK 47 shots I learned later about. If you can speak about similar encounters and how you handle it, it would be great info. This is all coming from someone who was kidnapped at 7 years age by Romanian gypsies and managed to escape out of pure luck, so perhaps biased

Cheers,
Vic
Hi Vic,

I'm still looking for the dangerous places people keep telling me about. Haven't found them yet, but I'm still looking.

Every country I go to the story is the same. It's muy peligro in the Northern Mexican mountains, the middle Mexican mountains, you'll get keeled in Oaxaca, Chiapas, the Peten, the mountains of Guatemala, Honduras is nothing but criminales, Nicaragua is dangerous.

I'm sure there are dangerous spots here and there. Especially in the larger cities. But as an old man riding around on a little bike I have met nothing but friendly and helpful people.

Plenty of people ride their GS12s to South America. Just get on your bike and go. If you get kidnapped by gypsies along the way at least you have the skillset to get away.

My skills are weak. I'd still be living in a caravan playing gypsie music if that had happened to me.

Best,
Juan Vagabond
Old 12-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #1007
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
That's because he left his other pair at my house
I miss those socks

I think subconciously I left them in order to have an excuse to come back and visit the Tricefamily.

I'll trade you the Palenque mask touched by the Mariposita goddess for my socks when I get home.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #1008
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 397
Just found this RR, got a lot of catching up to do! Can't wait!

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #1009
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
You have a nice wardrobe for a doller-two-ninety-eight !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #1010
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Vic,

I'm still looking for the dangerous places people keep telling me about. Haven't found them yet, but I'm still looking.

Every country I go to the story is the same. It's muy peligro in the Northern Mexican mountains, the middle Mexican mountains, you'll get keeled in Oaxaca, Chiapas, the Peten, the mountains of Guatemala, Honduras is nothing but criminales, Nicaragua is dangerous.

I'm sure there are dangerous spots here and there. Especially in the larger cities. But as an old man riding around on a little bike I have met nothing but friendly and helpful people.

Plenty of people ride their GS12s to South America. Just get on your bike and go. If you get kidnapped by gypsies along the way at least you have the skillset to get away.

My skills are weak. I'd still be living in a caravan playing gypsie music if that had happened to me.

Best,
Juan Vagabond
Buenos dias Senor Juan,

Your words are reassuring and generous encouragement for those still dreaming, and I would add, your travelling skills are just as good as your literary style that really made me laugh today.

Wishing you a peaceful and enjoyable Christmas, wherever your Sherpa takes you these days.
Vic
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #1011
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
You have a nice wardrobe for a doller-two-ninety-eight !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Hi Don,

The helmet was 50 on craigslist as was the jacket. The riding pants were free. A buck for the pants. Same for the hat. Socks were 16 and the down jacket 2. 50 cents for the tee shirt. Plus I have capolene long underwear that were 30. Gloves are a gift from GuateRider. Boots are a gift from Throttlemeister. Knit cap to keep my head warm was 2. I just got out of the pool and my wet swimming trunks I am wearing are a gift from Alain in Bacalar, Mexico.

I'll have you know I have invested heavily in my eclectic wardrobe. I had to ride over 9000 miles to collect all this quality stuff.

Who needs Santa when you've got your pals from ADVrider keeping your wardrobe looking spiff?

ˇFeliz Navidad!
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 10:21 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #1012
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wedge View Post
Just found this RR, got a lot of catching up to do! Can't wait!
Hi Max Wedge,

Love that name. Glad to have you along for the ride.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 12-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #1013
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
John:

In case I get too busy tomorrow, best wishes for a very Merry Christmas

and have a special dinner on me. Yes, for once, splurge a little and have a good meal. You deserve it for keeping us entertained. You are my daily routine and I look forward to more Reports from SA

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #1014
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Finally left the Ecolodge this afternoon after cooling off in the pool. Headed south along the shores of Lago Nicaragua with Omotepe in the clouds off in the distance:

I owe this afternoon to rtwpaul's excellent ride report and his beautiful pictures of a beach north of San Juan del Sur and the lovely Matilda's surf camp. I rode through San Juan del Sur and headed north on the coast road. It has a feeling of Hawaii 100 years ago out here riding north under the monkeypod trees:

until the road turns to fast smooth gravel:

stopped for a coke and asked two drunk fishermen for directions and they pointed down the road and said follow the signs to Majagual (ma-ha-hwal):

then it was just a matter of remembering rtwpaul's picture directions to the end of the road and Matildas where I found some other bikes. Sam and Carrie from Michigan are riding this Triumph to South America on their honeymoon:

Here is the cute couple:

Donnie Mackenzie from California is on this GS:

Here's Donnie:

I walked with him down this beach and around the point in the distance:

with kids bodysurfing:

to a pizza place with wifi to upload these photos.

A tip of the helmet to rtwpaul. This place is awesome. 80 cordobas ($3.50) to camp. I might have a hard time leaving this place. Great place to spend Christmas. The border is closed Christmas anyway, so I'll spend a couple three days here I imagine.

I spent 280 cordobas ($12.00) today on food and lodging.

Buenos noches,
Juanito
Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #1015
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:

A tip of the helmet to rtwpaul. This place is awesome. 80 cordobas ($3.50) to camp. I might have a hard time leaving this place. Great place to spend Christmas. The border is closed Christmas anyway, so I'll spend a couple three days here I imagine.

I spent 280 cordobas ($12.00) today on food and lodging.

Buenos noches,
Juanito
glad you found the place John, say Feliz Navidad to Marta for me in the little two table shack outside Matildas, they are sisters if you haven't found that out yet (hopefully she remembers me, if not tell her the english guy with all the tattoos)

...and to you, have a great christmas, i guess you are walking two bays south to the Monkey Poop Ranch (yes people that is its real name, John and search places like this out) to use the internet so probably won't hear from you in a week or two as i know that place is real difficult to leave and quite honestly why would you want to!!!

BTW have a reread thru my report on the penas blancas frontera as it had changed quite a lot since i was there last year, and is now a lot easier, i did both sides in about 1 hour...
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #1016
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 385
Merry Christmas! I am enjoying this immensely and appreciate your skillful eye for bringing great photos and commentary to the ride report. It's better than any travel book I've every purchased so I put a little stocking stuffer in your paypal account.
Cheers!

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #1017
Jba797
Gravel Hound

Oddometer: 31
John,

I heard about your RR through some riding buddies on ADV. I'm new to this type of entertainment & really enjoying it. I'm really enjoying your photos as I love photography. Your RR has inspired me to plan some adventures in the future. I look forward to more great photos.

Merry Christmas & God Bless

jba797

04 KTM 950 ADV
07 KTM 300 XC-W
looking to acquire a KTM 500 plated soon
Jba797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #1018
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,764
In.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #1019
Baja_Bound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Here is the cute couple:

Am I the only one who noticed his left hand? Heck, they are on their honeymoon!

Thank you for the great ride report and photos of the architecture. This is only my second RR to follow from start to finish and I can not tell you how inspiring it is. After reading each post, I find myself saying 'He's doing this, so why can't I?' The media continues to show us how dangerous life is there, but I can't help but think that the majority of people in the world are good, caring helpful folk. I have been trying to convince my wife (and two small children) that a ride greater than 30 minutes from a major metropolitan city, has 911 responders, and gladly accepts medical insurance, is a good thing. No luck yet.
Baja_Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #1020
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
John you've hurt me with your stop at Playa Majagual for Christmas. Please, please relate every negative aspect you can think of. Are the beers not sufficiently cold? Do you miss the holiday shopping crowds? Certainly palm trees, sun, sand and surf makes you yearn for bare trees, gray overcast skies and freezing temps.

Help a brother out...
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote