ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #1351
sonnypump
n00b
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 1
Get the Sherpa going!

Being a "John Thomas" myself, I want to see that steed back on the road.

sonnypump is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #1352
mario33
Howling around...
 
mario33's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Oddometer: 145
Pity the Sherpa is now out... Let us know how it goes. As soon as you decide what to do next, I'll add something to the 'Sherpa recovery pot'.

EDIT:
Those are 36 mm tubes. Nowadays, 'junior' Kawasaki machines use them (like KX85) but with longer travel... Would help if you tell us exact model of your bike and year,John...

I found those on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Sherpa...788b03&vxp=mtr

Will do ? If they're OK and you dont get any replacement - I'll get it sorted (including payment; any help from fellow ADVriders would be apprreciated sure thing). Just need a person that collect them in US and send them somewhere to Colombia (address will be needed).

As for the hub, which of those parts got damaged ?

http://www.partzilla.com/images/diag...1910/F2230.png

mario33 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 03:26 PM
mario33 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #1353
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad
 
GRinCR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Alajuela, Costa Rica via MN.
Oddometer: 320
Bluhduh Bummer!

Very sorry to hear the Sherpa got pinched. Better than getting dumped into the drink, I guess.
+ =
Good thing you don't drink, becasue the Sherpa fund would be taking a beating with the latest.

Can't wait to what hapends next!
__________________
Greg Smith
'90 DR650RS
Costa Rica: Trippin' with GR , The Bike Teardown
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #1354
ratbikemike
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 22
Busted little sherpa

Sorry to hear about the mishap on the dock. Lotsa parts will fit that thing. I'm sure with your skills and resources and they help of your posse a plan will hatch. I am hanging out in Costa Rica sorting out my travel options. Your ride report is more interesting as time goes on. A better, slower reading, with fotos is in order. Thanks for your help and if I can help make sure you call. ratbikemike
ratbikemike is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #1355
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Pity the Sherpa is now out... Let us know how it goes. As soon as you decide what to do next, I'll add something to the 'Sherpa recovery pot'.

EDIT:
Those are 36 mm tubes. Nowadays, 'junior' Kawasaki machines use them (like KX85) but with longer travel... Would help if you tell us exact model of your bike and year,John...

I found those on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Sherpa...788b03&vxp=mtr

Will do ? If they're OK and you dont get any replacement - I'll get it sorted (including payment; any help from fellow ADVriders would be apprreciated sure thing). Just need a person that collect them in US and send them somewhere to Colombia (address will be needed).

As for the hub, which of those parts got damaged ?

http://www.partzilla.com/images/diag...1910/F2230.png
Hi Mario33,

Thanks for the 36mm size info. The Sherpa is down but not out by a long shot. I will frankenbike my little mule and continue this ride report. I find that adversity not only builds character, but you meet the nicest people when your bike goes tits up.

The Sherpa is a 2002, but they all use the same front end. Not likely to find Sherpa parts down here, but I have no problem grafting another front end on this mule. Importing parts is too much hassle. Others have tried and it is a customs nightmare. I will find something down here. I can feel it.

The bike has taken a beating as have I. But it's all part of the fun on the roads less traveled.

Saludos,
Juan Capurgana
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #1356
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Very sorry to hear the Sherpa got pinched. Better than getting dumped into the drink, I guess.
+ =
Good thing you don't drink, becasue the Sherpa fund would be taking a beating with the latest.

Can't wait to what hapends next!
Hi GRinCR,

You and me both can't wait to see how this pans out. Already a guy has loaned me his cellular internet USB stick so I can respond to comments like a banshee. The bit rate down here is 4kb/sec so it is like watching paint dry loading pages. But responding to comments uses little bandwidth.

Glad you are still following along caro sobrino.

Seimpre,
Tio Juanito
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076

JDowns screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 02:11 AM
JDowns is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #1357
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbikemike View Post
Sorry to hear about the mishap on the dock. Lotsa parts will fit that thing. I'm sure with your skills and resources and they help of your posse a plan will hatch. I am hanging out in Costa Rica sorting out my travel options. Your ride report is more interesting as time goes on. A better, slower reading, with fotos is in order. Thanks for your help and if I can help make sure you call. ratbikemike
Hi RBM,

Glad to see you made it to Costa Rica. You move at my kind of pace. I'll get the Sherpa back together somehow. Where there's a will there's a way. I'm a stubborn old coot and as my friends know well, I have encountered much worse fubars than this.

Get down to South America. The living is easy and the women are beautiful.

Saludos
Juan Mechanico
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #1358
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnypump View Post
Being a "John Thomas" myself, I want to see that steed back on the road.

Hi sonnypump,

Glad to have you along for the ride. ADVriding is addicting and there is no cure.

The Sherpa will ride again. With zip ties I have it rolling, and there is nothing that will keep me from those kickass Colombian backroads.

Saludos,
Juan de Fuca
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #1359
mario33
Howling around...
 
mario33's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Not likely to find Sherpa parts down here, but I have no problem grafting another front end on this mule. Importing parts is too much hassle. Others have tried and it is a customs nightmare. I will find something down here. I can feel it.
OK, I'm sure you'll manage to get it repaired :)

Kawasaki got this contact page in Colombia that also lists repair centres as well as contact numbers. There you may source the parts if needed be.

http://www.kawasaki.com.co/atencion-al-cliente

Plenty of service centres in Medellin and they even list two in Apartado (next to Turbo):

CENTRO DE SERVICIOS - DISMOTOS - Cra. 101 #95-25 Teléfono: 828 21 01

SU MOTO DE URABÁ - Cl. 99 #99-6 Barrio Los Fundadores Teléfono: 828 00 26

Anyway, keep us in the loop. And shout when donations are needed more then ever.
mario33 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #1360
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
OK, I'm sure you'll manage to get it repaired :)

Kawasaki got this contact page in Colombia that also lists repair centres as well as contact numbers. There you may source the parts if needed be.

http://www.kawasaki.com.co/atencion-al-cliente

Plenty of service centres in Medellin and they even list two in Apartado (next to Turbo):

CENTRO DE SERVICIOS - DISMOTOS - Cra. 101 #95-25 Teléfono: 828 21 01

SU MOTO DE URABÁ - Cl. 99 #99-6 Barrio Los Fundadores Teléfono: 828 00 26

Anyway, keep us in the loop. And shout when donations are needed more then ever.
Hi Mario33,

Thanks so much for the info! Very helpful. This internet connection is so slow that I have a hard time loading pages.

It's not like Ed Zactamundo's situation where he needed donations to pay for hospital care etc. This is a minor bump in the road. But thanks for the offer of financial support. I still have 3500 bucks left and will continue on until it is all gone. Still should be able to entertain the snowbound crowd for a while longer.

Saludos,
Juanito
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #1361
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Hi John,

So sorry about the Sherpa damage... but glad you are OK and in good spirit, that's most important. I sent a little help for the Sherpa recovery fund. I'll inquire with a Colombian colleague if he has some advice on moto repair shops and will PM you if I get any useful information by tomorrow. But likely you will find something to get going again, given enough patience.

I am following this thread few times a day, wishing your epic travel to continue safe and well.

Edit:

Medellin looks like most likely the place you will find a place and parts/assistance.
There are quite few motorcycle shops coming up on Google "Search nearby" Medellin, including a Kawasaki dealer.

Macrocentro

Calle 38, No 52 - 34 Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia
macrocentro.net‎
PBX 262-3481 (you need to find area code)

Good luck!
Hola my dear friend from Transylvania,

Good info! thanks so much. I appreciate the financial support as well. With friends like Dracula all will be well.

Saludos,
Juanito
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #1362
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 100,139
Sorry to hear about the mishap. I'll keep an eye out for Sherpa parts.
Klay is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #1363
mario33
Howling around...
 
mario33's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Oddometer: 145
Kawasaki page lists following 'centros de servicio' in Medellin:

AFRICA MOTOS - Cll 37 # 52 - 92 261 59 96-311 630 44 90
ASTERMOTOS E.U. - Cl. 44 #80-15 Teléfono: 412 55 63
MACRO CENTRO - Cl. 38 #52-34 Teléfono: 262 34 81 - 262 32 81
MOTO FORZA SAS - Cl. 30 #65-50 Teléfono: 235 18 22
MOTO HOUSE - Calle 10A #40-28 Teléfono: 354 29 18
MOTO SPORT - Cra. 41 a # 10 - 54 311 06 65-301 780 95 67
MOTO TEST - Cra. 43A #19A-87 Local 78 Centro Automotriz Teléfono: 2621137 - 2326604
R2R BIKES - Cll 10A 36-54 372 46 21
SERVIAUTEC - Cra. 80 #64A-22 Teléfono: 434 51 60 - 322 84 38
SINCRO BIKE - Cll. 31 a # 75 - 64 444 94 93-312 834 78 81
mario33 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #1364
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Sorry to hear about the mishap. I'll keep an eye out for Sherpa parts.
Hi Klay,

Glad you're still following along. My sister just sent me a private message with parts availability. If I can't find what I need down here, I'll take a cheap jetblue flight from Bogota back to the states and bring back a hub and forks. Or have them sent down. Anything is possible.

Saludos,
Juanito
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #1365
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Bassett, NE
Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Kawasaki page lists following 'centros de servicio' in Medellin:

AFRICA MOTOS - Cll 37 # 52 - 92 261 59 96-311 630 44 90
ASTERMOTOS E.U. - Cl. 44 #80-15 Teléfono: 412 55 63
MACRO CENTRO - Cl. 38 #52-34 Teléfono: 262 34 81 - 262 32 81
MOTO FORZA SAS - Cl. 30 #65-50 Teléfono: 235 18 22
MOTO HOUSE - Calle 10A #40-28 Teléfono: 354 29 18
MOTO SPORT - Cra. 41 a # 10 - 54 311 06 65-301 780 95 67
MOTO TEST - Cra. 43A #19A-87 Local 78 Centro Automotriz Teléfono: 2621137 - 2326604
R2R BIKES - Cll 10A 36-54 372 46 21
SERVIAUTEC - Cra. 80 #64A-22 Teléfono: 434 51 60 - 322 84 38
SINCRO BIKE - Cll. 31 a # 75 - 64 444 94 93-312 834 78 81
Hi Mario33,

The power of the internet is strong. My problems are weaksauce and haven't got a chance of keeping me down for long.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan de la internet
__________________
South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076
JDowns is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014