Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #1426
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,610
Parts can be sent easily enough through the US if need be using a freight forwarder out of Miami to bring stuff in a lot easier. Each of the larger cities in Colombia seem to have their best forwarder. Could be the fastest way to return the Sherpa back to original condition if you have a hard time with the repair, but being in Colombia you ought to be okay.

Nice thought CaptDan
Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #1427
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Hi John, I just got back from my ride thru Mexico and Central America, My 03 Sherpa is sitting in the garage now, Its no problem to go out and pull any parts you need, I also have brand new front and rear brake pads, wheel bearings, and sprockets I'd be willing to donate so you can finish the trip. Guess the only hard part would be figuring how to ship them to you from the Seattle area?? Anyway whatever you need just let me know.
Regards, Dan
Hey Sherpa brother,

Thanks so much for the offer, but I think I've got it handled. Importing parts into Colombia is expensive and time consuming. I like the frankenbike look. My Sherpa is going to kick ass when I get done with it. God knows it needs some love after getting the shite kicked out of it for the last 12,000 miles. I have done dick-all maintenance since I left Throttlemeisters pad in Oklahoma three months ago other than change the oil 4 times, fix a few flats and replace the rear tire. I have lubed the chain 0 times and the sprockets still look good. The front end, not so much.

Glad to hear you got out riding in Centroamerica on your Sherp. It's an epic bike. But don't tell anybody. I might need to buy another and I don't want people jacking up the used prices for girls bikes.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #1428
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Parts can be sent easily enough through the US if need be using a freight forwarder out of Miami to bring stuff in a lot easier. Each of the larger cities in Colombia seem to have their best forwarder. Could be the fastest way to return the Sherpa back to original condition if you have a hard time with the repair, but being in Colombia you ought to be okay.

Nice thought CaptDan
Hi TM,

Always an option. We'll see. I should listen to your advice more often. I think I remember you telling me to boogy through Central America and avoid the harsh winter winds crossing the gap.

I'm a slow learner.

Saludos,
Juanboy
Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #1429
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi TM,

Always an option. We'll see. I should listen to your advice more often. I think I remember you telling me to boogy through Central America and avoid the harsh winter winds crossing the gap.

I'm a slow learner.

Saludos,
Juanboy
It's Tuesday Night PubCrawl in Tulsa again with the Zoombie Fest crew and you will be a topic of discussion

Everybodies got to do their own thing and you look like your doing a good thing in my book, even with the bike troubles, just let me know if you want to trade places for awhile

Giver hell and goodluck!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #1430
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Hey Sherpa brother,

Thanks so much for the offer, but I think I've got it handled. Importing parts into Colombia is expensive and time consuming. I like the frankenbike look. My Sherpa is going to kick ass when I get done with it. God knows it needs some love after getting the shite kicked out of it for the last 12,000 miles. I have done dick-all maintenance since I left Throttlemeisters pad in Oklahoma three months ago other than change the oil 4 times, fix a few flats and replace the rear tire. I have lubed the chain 0 times and the sprockets still look good. The front end, not so much.

Glad to hear you got out riding in Centroamerica on your Sherp. It's an epic bike. But don't tell anybody. I might need to buy another and I don't want people jacking up the used prices for girls bikes.

Saludos,
Juanito
If there anything you need that can't be repaired give me a shout and I'll pull and figure out how to get it to you.
I pulled a bonehead move and stripped the case out of the oil drain plug down in Lake Atitlan changing the oil, sealed it up with teflon tape and jb weld then rode all the way back to Sacramento then thru it in a uhaul to get home.
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #1431
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Hi Mario33,

Thanks for the 36mm size info. The Sherpa is down but not out by a long shot. I will frankenbike my little mule and continue this ride report. I find that adversity not only builds character, but you meet the nicest people when your bike goes tits up.

The Sherpa is a 2002, but they all use the same front end. Not likely to find Sherpa parts down here, but I have no problem grafting another front end on this mule. Importing parts is too much hassle. Others have tried and it is a customs nightmare. I will find something down here. I can feel it.
Well John, if you insist on doing that locally.... then I sent another donation to Sherpa Restoration Fund well, I think that might suffice to get you some nice forks

Keep us posted Reading with great interest during that 'nice' Central European winter...

mario33/Mariusz O.
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #1432
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 648
parts for the bike

Just look for Hispanic stores near where anybody lives and see if they do "ENVIOS". Easiest way to ship parts and wave customs. You just declare it with the shipment. I've sent small car parts that way. It takes 1 to 2 weeks which Juan Paisa could use as a break, doing minimalist pedestrian adventure in Medellín

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories

trespalacios screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 06:32 PM
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #1433
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,691
Quote:
Looking forward to seeing some gnarly weld beads and neck bolts on your budget bike. I know we can count on you to document the process here.

Quote:

"Cheap Way 'Round" ??

You give me hope, Brother.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #1434
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Hola Juanito,

Like so many others, I have added a little to the Sherpa recovery fund. While I have no doubt you'll get everything sorted without braking a sweat, hopefully we can collectively cover some unexpected expenses and help you keep this ride report going as long as possible.
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #1435
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
It's Tuesday Night PubCrawl in Tulsa again with the Zoombie Fest crew and you will be a topic of discussion

Everybodies got to do their own thing and you look like your doing a good thing in my book, even with the bike troubles, just let me know if you want to trade places for awhile

Giver hell and goodluck!
Hey bro,

Say hi to the Tulsa crew for me. Giverhell happens to be my middle name.

I may need the name of the machine shop in Medellin if I need to remove the steering head bearings and press out the Sherpa steering stem and press it into a new triple clamp lower. I'll let you know.

The Sherpa zombie will rise from the dead to fest at Carnival in Baranquilla if I have my say.

Saludos,
Hermano Juan
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #1436
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I spent the afternoon watching the world go by here in Turbo and listening to music from the park across the street. Lots of conga and maracas with horns and trombones along with salsa Colombiana vocals. I'm really liking this place. Hate to leave tomorrow.

There are virtually no cars in this town. Just thousands of 125 motos. My kind of place. I went down the block to improve my front end moto vocabulary. I found out the following Spanish words that will come in handy:

Fork tube= barra

Fork leg= botella de escopia

upper triple tree= orquilla superior

lower triple tree= orquilla anterior

brake rotor= freno disco

rim= rin

spokes= radios

axle= eje de lantero

bearings= balineras

hub= campana

brake master cylinder= bomba de freno

brake caliper= pinza de freno

at least that's what I was told the Colombian names are. If anyone knows different let me know.

more later….
Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #1437
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
John, heres the 'moto dictionary' I found useful while travelling. Its multilingual but Spanish is there too. Sorted by English terms:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/gea...le-translation

Theres also spreadsheet version avaialable - ideal to download to your computer but I dont know if your Mac handles Excel...

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tec...ranslation.xls

Here's also what mr crashmaster recommends: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=16193454

mario33 screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 03:40 PM
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #1438
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 775
Medellin

They can fix any damn thing in Medellin
Al
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #1439
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
If there anything you need that can't be repaired give me a shout and I'll pull and figure out how to get it to you.
I pulled a bonehead move and stripped the case out of the oil drain plug down in Lake Atitlan changing the oil, sealed it up with teflon tape and jb weld then rode all the way back to Sacramento then thru it in a uhaul to get home.
Hi Cap'n,

Thanks for the kind offer. I need a parts bike about now. A case of JB weld would be nice as well. I'll have to see what I find in Medellin. I have no idea how easy or hard it will be to find solutions down here.

Having a torn apart bike in Medellin doesn't sound so bad though. Good excuse to hang out with the locals and enjoy Colombia. I sure like it so far.

Muchas gracias,
Juanito
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #1440
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Looking forward to seeing some gnarly weld beads and neck bolts on your budget bike. I know we can count on you to document the process here.

"Cheap Way 'Round" ??

You give me hope, Brother.
Cheap Way Round sounds like a good name for my next ride report. It has a nice ring to it.

You need to keep slowoldguy company down in Mexico. You've been working too hard Señor Schizz. Time to head out on the highway.

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Saludos,
Juan Turbo