User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,063
Stuck screws/bolts

You know how Hondas have those two plug screw things on the left side for the timing mark and the a bolt you turn for TDC? I need to adjust/check valves on a buddies quad and the top one will not come out, Someone tightened them waaaay too tight, and the soft metal was stripped before I got to it. What do I do?

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,153
Can you post a pic of it?

If it is somewhat exposed try a pair of small vise grips. My favorite tool is most often a pair of needle nose vise grips.

If you cannot break it free due to clearance issues, seriously think about having a shop look at it or have your buddy live with it.

One more thing, is you need to at least try using a hand impact driver on it, even if it is hollowed out. Find a bit that can fit and then tap it in, then put it in the driver and give it a rap. When you are already hosed it usually is an exercise in futility as it is usually not that successful but it does work enough to try anyway when you have nothing else to lose.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Idiots should not be allowed to work on machines, I don't know why people think you have to crank the living shit out of bolts and screws. An easy general maintenance task is now a trip to the machine shop! And it's only gonna take a pro a minute to get it out, and I will feel bad because I told my buddy "Fuck paying a mechanic, I can teach you how to do this, and it will cost nothing." I guess it will be okay til that engine gets a lil tappy unless he wants to get it machined out. The maintenance will need to be done eventually though.

We're gonna try some putting penetrating oil on it every couple hours for a couple days, but I highly doubt this will make a difference since the aluminum and magnesium don't rust n stuff.

RIDE RED!

RFVC600R screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 07:03 PM Reason: bad grammar son!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Heat can be your friend. Torch around the screw and give it a shot while the case expands before the screw does. Worst case, capillary action may drive the penetrating oil into the threads.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Heat can be your friend. Torch around the screw and give it a shot while the case expands before the screw does. Worst case, capillary action may drive the penetrating oil into the threads.
I'm getting an impact driver tomorrow, I called my uncle who is a skilled mechanic and he told me to bring it to him and it he will take care of it. He said he is going to cut another slot in it so we can use a big ole' phillips instead of a big flat-head and it will have a new non-stripped slot to start all over with. Special tools on site for worse case scenarios. He said he ran this problem a few times over the years. He even got a bunch junk Hondas on his property so we can probably find a new plug too after we get the stripped shit one out. I'm relieved

Thanks guys!

RIDE RED!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Like He Said!
Heat - properly applied will probably solve this! Often it is as simple as riding it, getting it up to normal temperature and trying to loosen before it cools off. Heating with a torch is also a plan, provided you are dilligent about heating the right part to the right temperature, you do NOT want to heat and expand the plug - it's the case around it that needs to be gently heated. A bit that fits the slot correctly is usually the first thing that gets overlooked, 'Close Enough' ISN'T! A loose fit can be improved with a touch of valve grinding paste or the bit could actually be glued into place before you try loosening.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

Just an update before this thread dies off forever.

We cut a new slot with a dremel and it came right out. Turns out the valve clearances are fine. Thank you guys. I wanna try that heat idea some time, I like fire

RIDE RED!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
ScEd
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
I bought a cheap impact tool from harbor freight years ago. This thing has never failed me and turned out to be one of the best five bucks I ever spent on any specialty tool.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
RFVC600R OP
SAND EATER!

damn 6 bucks! I'm buying one right now! thanks!

RIDE RED!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
I know this is late but if you can find the liquid carborundum in a tube sometimes called screw loose
it can work wonders. You put some of this liquid on the tip of the screw driver or in the screw head
and it increases the friction like 1000 times. It has been my best friend many times over the years.
It's just hard to find. I always buy a tube when I see it. Hardware store, lumber yard, places like that.