Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
Dubl-A OP
Chauta Fukup

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
The power connector will be problematic. It is not designed for the excessive amount of vibration that it will see on a bike.
Mini or Micro USB?

Mini Left/ Micro Right

Micro seems to fit and hold better than mini.

Dubl-A screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 05:47 PM
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #32
Dubl-A OP
Chauta Fukup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTi View Post
I'm interested to know what you end up going with to mount your phone. I am thinking of mounting my HTC Evo 3d on my tiger 955i, I can't afford any of these crazy freaking expensive motorcycle GPS units.
If you use an Otterbox they have plug protection. Although I wouldn't suggest leaving power connected during a rainfall.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #33
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Mini or Micro USB?
I have witnessed two failures of the Mini USB, both on phones mounted on bikes.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #34
Dubl-A OP
Chauta Fukup

Garage door opener

Check out this guys garage door opener mod added to his cockpit.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...Yeah-I-said-it)

Right now I have a Genie brand opener but only hangs by the tab which I'm sure isn't that strong. I may try this...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #35
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,715
Na ... I like the BMW installed one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk

Embedding attempt again:

cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #36
Dubl-A OP
Chauta Fukup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Na ... I like the BMW installed one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk

The whole time I was looking at the dash trying to see the button. I actually have the same mod done to all my bikes but my sons are starting to charge a flat fee!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #37
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
I actually have the same mod done to all my bikes but my sons are starting to charge a flat fee!
My wife normally hears me coming home and opens the garage (it's just a press of a button from inside). So, I really don't need a mod ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #38
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

My wife has become accustomed to the particular sounds of my bikes. She'll usually get the door open for me when I am on the 800XC or ZZR12 (both with quieter stock exhausts) just as I am pulling up the driveway. However, when I'm riding the 1098 the door is always wide open before I even turn onto our street.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #39
Dubl-A OP
Chauta Fukup

Quote:
My wife has become accustomed to the particular sounds of my bikes. She'll usually get the door open for me when I am on the 800XC or ZZR12 (both with quieter stock exhausts) just as I am pulling up the driveway. However, when I'm riding the 1098 the door is always wide open before I even turn onto our street.
Did you purchase mounts for your Montana on each bike? What stuff are you running on them?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #40
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Did you purchase mounts for your Montana on each bike? What stuff are you running on them?
I use RAM mounts on everything, so the Rugged Mount for the Montana moves from bike to bike, heat control from bike to bike, (former) Garmin 60Cx from bike to bike, etc. I also have a SPOT II RAM cradle, and in the past have used a SPOT I cradle, all mounted via RAM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #41
Dubl-A OP
Chauta Fukup

Quote:
I use RAM mounts on everything, so the Rugged Mount for the Montana moves from bike to bike, heat control from bike to bike, (former) Garmin 60Cx from bike to bike, etc. I also have a SPOT II RAM cradle, and in the past have used a SPOT I cradle, all mounted via RAM.
So you just purchased the control units for each bike, same heated equipment? That's a great idea!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #42
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
So you just purchased the control units for each bike, same heated equipment? That's a great idea!
Cheaper than that, actually. The wireless heat-troller moves from bike to bike also, as it's just stuck on a RAM base, and takes about 15 seconds to move from one bike to another. Heated gear plugs into all of the bikes as I have hard-wired SAE plugs on everything (except the Tiger, which has two Powerlet-style plugs.) Just a couple different adapters to provide power to the jacket receiver get me heat on every ride.

RAM mounts are the best thing since LEGO toys!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #43
Dubl-A OP
Chauta Fukup

Quote:
Cheaper than that, actually. The wireless heat-troller moves from bike to bike also, as it's just stuck on a RAM base, and takes about 15 seconds to move from one bike to another. Heated gear plugs into all of the bikes as I have hard-wired SAE plugs on everything (except the Tiger, which has two Powerlet-style plugs.) Just a couple different adapters to provide power to the jacket receiver get me heat on every ride.

RAM mounts are the best thing since LEGO toys!

I'm thinking I may have to go this route as it seems the easiest and most hassle free. Thanks for all your info on this.

Just curious, how much did you have to invest in heat (for one bike)?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #44
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
I'm thinking I may have to go this route as it seems the easiest and most hassle free. Thanks for all your info on this.

Just curious, how much did you have to invest in heat (for one bike)?
Well, getting the power wired was pretty simple, about $5-25 per bike, depending upon what connectors you want to use. As I mentioned, the Tiger was easy because it offers a second Powerlet outlet under the seat's left side. All of the other bikes already had an SAE connector wired to the same position, as I use them for battery tenders. All I needed to do was to ensure that the wiring size was large enough to handle the current, and swap out the small fuse in the SAE pigtails for a larger fuse that will handle the heated gear power draw.

The heated gear plus control system, I purchased from Warm-n-Safe via their ADV discount (thread is here on ADV, let me know if you need help locating it.) I went whole hog and got a full set of jacket/pants/glove/socks and the dual wireless controller, plus a couple of different adapters (SAE to coaxial, Powerlet to coaxial.) I'd say it was in the neighborhood of $500; I could double check on that total if you want specifics.

RAM arm and mount base for mounting the wireless heat controller, total about $15-20; I already had the scotch-lock so no expense to me there, but probably about $3 if you buy some at a craft or hardware store.

RAM ball mount for each bike differs on what style mount you use, probably about $7-15 per bike. There are many options for mounting; GPS City is a great source for all your RAM needs.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #45
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,257
All Touratech for me. I like the security and it makes my windscreen adjustable. RKA tank bag when I need it. And a basic ram mount for my ipod/ iphone.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote