Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Ratski OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Question help me pick a Point and Shoot!

I just lost my Casio Exfilm to a roller coaster, it fell out of my pocket, Six Flags was good enough to return it to me when they found it but is not quite as straight as it was the last time I saw it.

I looked around a bit but am boggled by the amount of choices. I'm looking for a good value, (I'm kinda broke) so, $100 is the celing. Gotta be able to put in in the back pocket so I'm looking for the roughly pack of smokes size, you know what I mean. It just needs to take pictures and the occasional video. I'm not "into"photography, so am not gonna try to win any contests or blow up prints to wall size. Just wanna have pics for birthday partys, vacations and photo tag stuff. help me out here and shoot a few recommendations my way, pluses if you own it and can tell me what you do and don't like about it.
Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Ratski OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Nothing? Somebody's gotta have a camera they love.

Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,564
Nikon P300

you wouldn't believe the kind of abuse this camera has had in the last 2 years..
HIGHLY recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-...rds=nikon+p300
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,199
Casio Exilim EX-H5 (Really!)

I bought one after my Canon P&S bit the dust. It's got 12mp and a 10x optical zoom and lots of features (that I'll probably never use). It works as well as the Canon used to for less $.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Exilim-E...o+Exilim+EX-H5

This Amazon price is awful - I recently paid $85 at a local electronics store (PC Richard) on sale. This model might be discontinued, though.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 667
I'm a real estate appraiser and use my camera ALOT.

Take a look at the Canon SX260HS

Trust me, fantastic camera. fast, 20x optical, great battery life, priced right , great pictures, big screen
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,039
really loving my new RX100, but it'll cost you
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,142
I see nobody noticed the $100 limit. It's easy to spend someone elses money. I have a Sony DSC W560 from Best Buy for under $100 that works and you've seen my kids at work with it. I also picked up a little waterproof job from Target for $60 that takes just fine pictures for a waterproof camera. I wish I could find it.

My next camera will probably be a Panasonic Lumix TS20 pretty much kid proof and rugged. About $140 from Amazon.
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
you wouldn't believe the kind of abuse this camera has had in the last 2 years..
HIGHLY recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-...rds=nikon+p300
Amazon has the P310 for 250 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-...rds=nikon+p310

But for the 100 dollar limit everything is going to be similar.

The Nikon L26 seems to be getting good reviews.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Sony DSC-WX50
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+C...wx50&cp=1&lp=1

Best Buy is offering it with a free 4gig SD card, right now.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
In your price range you want to head on over to Craig's List. Find something lightly used and you're good to go.
If you want something new, check eBay and Amazon for factory refurbished units. They come with the factory warranty for a lot less dough.
All of my P&S cameras have been factory refurbished and have never given me any trouble.
Don't fall for the more megapixels is better BS. An internal rechargeable battery will provide more shots than AA batteries as a rule.
Most of the time it's necessary to upgrade your data card to get enough photo storage capacity.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Timely thread.

I reckon the original question has been answered so I propose we step it up a notch.

I have been looking for a decent point and shoot for a while, but as mentioned theres a lot of choice and BS about.

So I'm looking for something sub-DSLR. These are just to bulky, expensive, fragile, etc, to be carrying around to get beaten up, possibly lost and damaged and I won't be making a living from the device.

Lets put price aside for a moment.

The primary considerations are:
-picture quality.
-low light capability (I have seen a few night time shots that came out really well, but have been unable to find out what was used to take it)
-zoom lens
-removable storage media. (it really sucks if the internal storage is full and you're stuck until you can download the contents.)
-removable battery. Proprietary or disposable. Its pointless being out bush with a device that needs mains power every four hours.
-video capability in unnecessary. Theres other devices to take of that.

Go!
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
I picked up a Canon for 75 bucks at a boxing day sale...it has survived life at the gold mine I work a for a couple of years so far...I chose it because it uses a standard SD card, and AA batteries, which are stocked where I work.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow10 View Post
So I'm looking for something sub-DSLR. These are just to bulky, expensive, fragile, etc, to be carrying around to get beaten up, possibly lost and damaged and I won't be making a living from the device.

Lets put price aside for a moment.

The primary considerations are:
-picture quality.
-low light capability (I have seen a few night time shots that came out really well, but have been unable to find out what was used to take it)
-zoom lens
-removable storage media. (it really sucks if the internal storage is full and you're stuck until you can download the contents.)
-removable battery. Proprietary or disposable. Its pointless being out bush with a device that needs mains power every four hours.
-video capability in unnecessary. Theres other devices to take of that.

Go!

I did a lot of research and soul searching on this topic recently, and just sold a couple thousand dollars of DSLR gear and bought a Fujifilm X10. Currently $550 at most retailers.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig.../fujifilm_x10/

28-112 F2.0-F2.8 lens. All things equal, there is no substitute for LIGHT. Those who love the Canon G12, sorry, F5.6 at the tele end sucks. That's 1/4 as much light as F2.8, or the difference between ISO 800 and 3200.

The EXR sensor Fuji created allows neighboring same-colour pixels to be paired in low light (or to enhance dynamic range and avoid clipped highlights), which makes for fantastic images at half-resolution (6MP vs. 12MP) 6 is more than enough, I have 8x10s from an old 6MP camera on my wall. Here's a technical discussion at dpreview.

External controls for most things, and firmware v2.0 has a quick menu assigned to the RAW button for faster access to other shit.

Zoom is a ring on the lens barrel, like a proper camera.
Viewfinder mechanically coupled to the zoom lens, and has diopter adjustment (I sometimes wear glasses)
Shutter is threaded for a cable release, old school style

I've only had it a little over a week, but have taken about 300 pictures with it, between a trip to STL and some other bullshit.

I'd recommend any of the Fuji X-series cameras, they have slightly different feature sets, pick whichever suits you.

I'll leave you with this, taken handheld while I burped rye whiskey on myself.

And this: it is a very nicely built, metal bodied, solid camera.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #14
taranaki
statale

Oddometer: 1,310
+1

Not the solution for the OP, but worth a look for those with a bigger budget who value portability, sensuality, and great looking photos.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,537
You could buy a $100 PS every year or 2 or get something good that'll last. That Fuji above looks nice, but I had one of their older models (finepix 2000 something or other) and it took good photos but it took forever to process so an action shot of anything was out of the question. That thing was expensive too. After that and a Sony, I learned my lesson and only buy Cameras made by camera companies not Film or stereo manufacturers

Find a nice used G11 or G12. I think I paid $300 or so for my G11 a few weeks after the G12 came out from a photographer that wanted the HD video function of the G12. I'm going on 2 happy years with the G11 and have no compliants. My experiences with the lower end stuff (used to be expensive too) is they end up with either functionality issues or the batteries taking a dump needing a $30+ battery in a year.

Here's a few compressed pics taken in jpeg, you can do much better in RAW

Macro

Zoom (lombard st taken from Coit Tower)

For the price I don't think it can be beat. Anything better is going to cost a lot more and for not a whole bunch more than the bargain basement featureless point and shoots you get far better quality.

Dukeryder screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 02:12 PM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: