Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #76
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Wow. This post committed suicide pretty quick. On one long weekend of riding, the most courteous, competent (and not slow) rider I came across was a guy on a big Harley. The biggest douche bag, rudest asshole (and dangerous) rider I came across was a guy... on a big Harley. Gosh, maybe it's the rider and not the bike? It's polite to move over to let someone pass. I do it in a car, with a bike it's barely an effort. I must admit until this thread I'd never read another rider say they enjoy their ride, blocking other bikers.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #77
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
There's a lot of whining here.

I let faster riders go past cuz I don't want someone on my tail and I REALLY don't want some asswipe to plow into my backside when I hit the brakes to avoid deer/rocks/drunk. And if they pass me it's kinda interesting to find out what happens to them farther down the road if they crash or get nailed by the cops.

However, when I come up on people I never expect them to "let" me pass. it's nice if they do, but I don't get upset if they don't make way for me. I understand if I'm passing people I'm generally speeding, and I don't expect people to aid me.

Most importantly, if I can't pass another rider or group of riders or car or truck or haywagon on a freakin' motorcycle when I go solo then I should get my mancard pulled. And I ride a slow motorcycle.

Cakeeater

Especially that last part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
You know, I really don't think I agree. I

Whether or not you agree is inconsequential. It is the still the truth.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #78
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Right Ginger, unless you're following fifteen bikes that don't leave spaces. You can do it, but it's dangerous.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #79
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Right Ginger, unless you're following fifteen bikes that don't leave spaces. You can do it, but it's dangerous.
If you are following 15 bikes that are riding so close together that there are no spaces, then you probably should not pass them. 15 riders riding in a tight pack. hmmm. who could that be? (Chances are that they are not going that slow.)

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #80
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
If you are following 15 bikes that are riding so close together that there are no spaces, then you probably should not pass them. 15 riders riding in a tight pack. hmmm. who could that be? (Chances are that they are not going that slow.)
At least around here not only are they "slow" but they're 1/2 the speed limit slow. At least the HD riders. The squids at least hit the limit before they wad.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #81
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
At least around here not only are they "slow" but they're 1/2 the speed limit slow. At least the HD riders. The squids at least hit the limit before they wad.
And yet they ride in a tight group. at half the speed limit. so they have some riding skills but ride real, real slow. wow. I would never have thought that, I stand corrected. carry on.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #82
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
You know, I really don't think I agree. If you are just toodling along at the posted speed or at the limit of your comfort zone in primo twisties, taking in the sights, then it's no big deal to move over and let the faster/better rider by. I mean, it's not like you're in a hurry.

Move over. You get to enjoy your sightseeing ride and so does the rider who likes to ride faster.

And this from a guy who rides a Harley.
Yep ... there is usually no reason to block another bike. It is legal here for bikes to lane share so you aint even breaking the law to let them slip by in your lane.

Mind you I was recently out for a tootle on my Hardley when I had cause to block a sportsbike rider for a short while ... even gave the slow down signal which he chose to ignore. Anyway he blasts by me giving me the finger I couldn't actually hear the swearing from inside his helmet (but could imagine it) as he passed the mobile radar van that was parked not too far around the next corner I knew it was there having just come by it 10 minutes before
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #83
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post
Yep ... there is usually no reason to block another bike. It is legal here for bikes to lane share so you aint even breaking the law to let them slip by in your lane.

Mind you I was recently out for a tootle on my Hardley when I had cause to block a sportsbike rider for a short while ... even gave the slow down signal which he chose to ignore. Anyway he blasts by me giving me the finger I couldn't actually hear the swearing from inside his helmet (but could imagine it) as he passed the mobile radar van that was parked not too far around the next corner I knew it was there having just come by it 10 minutes before
Lol. Now that's a good reason to impede traffic.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #84
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post

haha that sucks for the other guy. i try to warn fellow riders of the same sort of thing. except im normally 10-15mph over whatever limit is posted, or a lot over out in the country.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #85
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwone View Post

Normally that works but last spring on the Skyway I ran across a Triumph Rocket 3 and a newer Goldwing. This was a new on me, they would go through the turns ~ 25 mph and run full throttle down every straight stretch. These are not slow bikes and that was very frustrating. So I passed them and the look on the guy face on the Goldwing was priceless. I didn't want to out run them that way but I didn't want to stay behind that for 40 miles.

These situations can be frustrating ... those kind of bikes usually have it all over both of mine in a straight line

so I make it a game ... let them shoot away in the straight and catch 'em in the corners. Funny how I'm often all over their arses in the tight bits
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #86
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post

However, when I come up on people I never expect them to "let" me pass. it's nice if they do, but I don't get upset if they don't make way for me. I understand if I'm passing people I'm generally speeding, and I don't expect people to aid me.

Most importantly, if I can't pass another rider or group of riders or car or truck or haywagon on a freakin' motorcycle when I go solo then I should get my mancard pulled. And I ride a slow motorcycle.

Cakeeater
Guess the roads you like to go riding on aren't sinuous mountain roads having most curves marked with yellow signs that suggest a speed of between 15-30mph.

Now how exactly is one supposed to execute a pass in the left lane on a blind corner?

The only safe way to pas is when the slow traffic pulls on to a pullout. They don't even have to stop, just slow down a little and use some of the pullout. Most of the people up here do.

They get an enthusiastic wave and thumbs-up as I go by.

If I have to wait for one of the rare places where I can see far enough ahead to execute a pass in the left lane, they get the finger.

Sometimes I have to pull over too--I'm not exactly riding a sportbike.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #87
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 719
The speed limit is so wrong, in so many ways. It shouldn't even really apply to bikes.
Hall monitor cops, Harley blockers; people going 5 under, don't you gotta take a piss or something?
Just go!
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #88
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Indian Motorcycles, FTW!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #89
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
This
Quote:
For crying out loud, if a fellow rider wants to go faster, get the hell out of the way and let him go.

Sanctimonious spoilsports with attitudes.
Plus this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
The same can be said about someone that wants to force others off the road just because they are trying to enjoy a nice relaxing weekend ride .... on a public road no less..
Divided by this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
What kind of Nancy boy motorcycle rider can't pass a slow-moving vehicle unless the driver/rider of that vehicle "lets" them? If you can't pass a slow-moving vehicle on a motorcycle you shouldn't be riding in the first place.
Equals,
Ride your own ride
Old 10-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #90
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
I agree, ride your own ride, but I think BCC had it right. Let people pass. People in Germany have no problem letting others go about their business. On in America do assholes hang out in the left lane and hit the brakes because they are somehow offended by you wanting to go faster then them.