Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
AdrenalineGirl OP
Adventure Junky

Oddometer: 73
1 Mom, 2 Teenage Sons & 9K Miles Western US Motorcycle Trip

"Hey boys, do you want to head out west on our motorcycles this summer?"

"YES! WHEN?" was the enthusiastic response I got in return.

Isn't that how most motorcycle trips with Mom start? I suppose, but to be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. So even after I reminded them that they'd be stuck with me for two months, they were still fired up and ready to go. With that amount of enthusiasm, I figured it was ok to let the trip planning begin.

My job is flexible (I am a marketing consultant and can work from wherever I am). The boys, Riley is 16 and Robbie is 18, have taken 2 months off from their jobs. My husband Lorin is the least flexible with his career and will be joining us for the first week, a week in the middle, and the last week of our rambling journey. You can read a bit more about us here (if you'd like).

Since we still have snow on the ground here in Upper Michigan, the next three weeks are going to be a crazy scramble to get our bikes, ourselves, and our gear ready for the next 9,000 miles. Here's our tentative route:

My plan is to camp out as much as possible, visit some family along the way, ride a lot of epic roads, and to show my boys some of this country's most gorgeous places. Oh, and blog about it along the way.

Info on our bikes, gear, etc., will follow soon...

Old 04-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
With a trip like this , with family , all on individual bikes, you can bet there will be lots of us ADV type following your adventure.

Ride safe/smart
Best of everything!!
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 266
Im In.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Shmily
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
count me in

With a hot biker mom like that, I'm in....
Shmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
OnTheWay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Fascinating!

I've enjoyed following along!

Three boys there?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
old fart bob
Armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I'm in

You did almost the same trip we did last year except we got chased out of Oregon because of the forest fires. I wanted to go down through California, across the south and back up through Missouri, Illinois and back to Michigan. We never made it. The other two guys I was riding with had all sorts of problems. We cut it short and headed home. My Harley Sportster ran fine the whole distance. I don't care what anyone says about H-D, I like my Sportster.
old fart bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Shmily
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart bob View Post
You did almost the same trip we did last year except we got chased out of Oregon because of the forest fires. I wanted to go down through California, across the south and back up through Missouri, Illinois and back to Michigan. We never made it. The other two guys I was riding with had all sorts of problems. We cut it short and headed home. My Harley Sportster ran fine the whole distance. I don't care what anyone says about H-D, I like my Sportster.
Impressive to do it on a Sportster!
Shmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,156
Subscribed. Sounds like a great trip. Try to dip into the NE corner of Nebraska instead of blasting across SD.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
AdrenalineGirl OP
Adventure Junky

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart bob View Post
Bob - I'm sorry your trip got cut short. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good fortune and smooth riding, however, a motorcycle trip isn't a motorcycle trip without a couple of unexpected twists and turns (no pun intended). And to do it on a Sportster - kuddos to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheWay View Post
Three boys there?
The "third boy" in the the picture is my husband. He'll be joining us during parts of the trip. Since there are times he is like another kid, you aren't too far off the mark!
AdrenalineGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
Me4speed
Dirt/pavement=Relief

Oddometer: 49
Thumb family trip

way cool, been riding since I was 7 and we would take trips down the west coast every summer in our cage, I would look out the window of the car and imagine riding my bike all the way down to L.A. from Washington state, I can not tell you how awesome the trip your taking would have been for me, have fun ,stay safe, I will be waiting for your reports, plan on doing trips like this with my son when he turns 16, can't wait.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #11
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
I was in for this one as soon as I saw "Mom.......Sons.....Motorcycle trip."

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #12
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
IN......

You've got a good route...which will of course change

Keep it coming.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:07 AM   #13
OnTheWay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
[QUOTE=AdrenalineGirl;26645254
The "third boy" in the the picture is my husband. He'll be joining us during parts of the trip. Since there are times he is like another kid, you aren't too far off the mark![/QUOTE]

From the first post, you did mention on that your husband will go with you during parts of the trip. I could not believe he is the third boy.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:28 AM   #14
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalineGirl View Post
"Hey boys, do you want to head out west on our motorcycles this summer?"
You should just let your kids hang out all summer, play video games, text their friends, do drugs in the street, and let them be bored and get into all sorts of trouble

I am just messing with you. I have to admire your parenting skills, in on act, you are going to teach them a huge amount about actually doing something, keep them away from bad things, and they will have a good time while they are doing it

There is always a risk to a motorcycle trip, but there is even more risk to leaving them bored running in the streets. This country would be a much better place if all parents did things like this... Now your job will be to keep the kids from riding to crazy and taking foolish chances - Yeah I remember being a bulletproof teenager I look forward to following your trip !!!

Mike
Old 04-24-2015, 04:58 AM   #15
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,509
I'm in for the adventure. Such a cool Mom you must be.