User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #271
Queenie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Anna...YOU GO GIRL!

You RR is absolutely wonderful. It's so inspiring to see a woman take control and just go on a trip like this. I am about to be 47 and my boys are about to go to college and you have motivated me to start planning our (me and the hubby's) trip to Alaska in a year or two. I have been to Alaska before and it is absolutely breathtaking. I'm trying to convince the hubby that when I retire we should move up there for a year.

I know that this ride is good for your soul and your brother is so proud of you...I'm sure he's enjoying your adventure too!

Ride safe!
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #272
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart bob View Post
Don't be like me. I got out of college in 1965 and thought about roaming around the world for a couple of years. I was brought up on the philosophy of getting a job, working hard, save your money and when you retire, then it's time to play. Only one problem with that thought. Now I'm retired. It's time to play. I have the money but my right knee is gone. I just got out of a total knee replacement surgery a couple of weeks ago and the idea of a long ride anywhere is totally out of the question. The rest of my body is in good condition but standing on the pegs floating over the bumps for extended time is only a dream.
Get serious, with your rehab. It'll take some time, but, you'll be surprised how much better your knee can get. Also, highway pegs will be of great benefit.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #273
mildhog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
get serious, with your rehab. It'll take some time, but, you'll be surprised how much better your knee can get. Also, highway pegs will be of great benefit.
+1
mildhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #274
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,685
Quote:
R&T and RoninMoto, If you are going to do a RTW, DO IT NOW! You want me to repeat that? DO IT NOW! Don't be like me. I got out of college in 1965 and thought about roaming around the world for a couple of years. I was brought up on the philosophy of getting a job, working hard, save your money and when you retire, then it's time to play. Only one problem with that thought. Now I'm retired. It's time to play. I have the money but my right knee is gone. I just got out of a total knee replacement surgery a couple of weeks ago and the idea of a long ride anywhere is totally out of the question. The rest of my body is in good condition but standing on the pegs floating over the bumps for extended time is only a dream. Ruff, all I can say is DO IT NOW. The back roads of the world are a magnet you should follow. If this sounds like the ramblings of a cynical old man, the answer is yes.
Yours truly, old fart Bob
good advice, Bob! I too wish I had pursued some of my dreams a long time ago. Old age and failing health is a greater restriction than a tight budget.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #275
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,388
2 TKR's

Quote:
R&T and RoninMoto, If you are going to do a RTW, DO IT NOW! You want me to repeat that? DO IT NOW! Don't be like me. I got out of college in 1965 and thought about roaming around the world for a couple of years. I was brought up on the philosophy of getting a job, working hard, save your money and when you retire, then it's time to play. Only one problem with that thought. Now I'm retired. It's time to play. I have the money but my right knee is gone. I just got out of a total knee replacement surgery a couple of weeks ago and the idea of a long ride anywhere is totally out of the question.The rest of my body is in good condition but standing on the pegs floating over the bumps for extended time is only a dream. Ruff, all I can say is DO IT NOW. The back roads of the world are a magnet you should follow. If this sounds like the ramblings of a cynical old man, the answer is yes.
Right now I know you don't think you are going to be standing on the peg's floating over the bumps. I haven't seen Anna floating on the pegs to get her ride done. I had both of my knee's done on 13 Dec, 2011. 5, July, 2012 went on a 7000 mile trip to Inuvik and back. Hang in there and do your therapy. It gets better. Go around the world if you have time and finances. Your new knee shouldn't hold you back.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #276
jimbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
This story just keeps getting better and better. I sure hope the sun finally follows you for a few days. Keep it coming.

Just remember, a government big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take away all you have. Davy Crockett
jimbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #277
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 364
Ck
Quote:
R&T and RoninMoto, If you are going to do a RTW, DO IT NOW! You want me to repeat that? DO IT NOW! Don't be like me. I got out of college in 1965 and thought about roaming around the world for a couple of years. I was brought up on the philosophy of getting a job, working hard, save your money and when you retire, then it's time to play. Only one problem with that thought. Now I'm retired. It's time to play. I have the money but my right knee is gone. I just got out of a total knee replacement surgery a couple of weeks ago and the idea of a long ride anywhere is totally out of the question. The rest of my body is in good condition but standing on the pegs floating over the bumps for extended time is only a dream. Ruff, all I can say is DO IT NOW. The back roads of the world are a magnet you should follow. If this sounds like the ramblings of a cynical old man, the answer is yes.
It is common for people to get a bit depressed after surgery. But, sitting around wishing for lost youth is a big waste of your remaining life. Knee rehab is tough. Get tougher and get your life back.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #278
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Ck
It is common for people to get a bit depressed after surgery. But, sitting around wishing for lost youth is a big waste of your remaining life. Knee rehab is tough. Get tougher and get your life back.
Enough of the thread hijack. This is about Anna and her ride.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #279
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Enough of the thread hijack. This is about Anna and her ride.
The RR threads are always about the OP's ride and my post wasn't a 'hijack'.

CharlestonADV screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 04:46 AM
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #280
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Just wondering.....
How was the financial side of this voyage?
If you don't feel like discussing that on the board, maybe PM me.
I am having a hard time figuring out an equation for a trip like this.
Probably a bit different doing the SW and Alaska, even though Alaska will be the 2nd voyage.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 AM   #281
astroguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Just wondering.....
I am having a hard time figuring out an equation for a trip like this..
Yes, good question. I second that. Not to be invasive really but just out of genuine interest? I can sit and do a mind model of costs and be fairly accurate though , but reality is always the most acccurate. Of course very understandable if you don't wish to throw this up.
astroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #282
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Just wondering.....
Probably a bit different doing the SW and Alaska, even though Alaska will be the 2nd voyage.
I think I averaged $1/mile. And that was just to cover food, gas, and staying in cheap places/camping along the way. I think that's about as cheap as you're gonna get. Good luck with your planning.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #283
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. Did you actually look up your route and figured where you would be staying and then look up hotels, motels, hostels and campgrounds, plus the average gas price in the area?
Seems a little complicated.....Maybe just save $2 a mile for safety and call it a day! LOL
I will be doing a little more sight seen, so I was thinking 250 miles of travel a day.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #284
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 648
costs

Quote:
Just wondering.....
If the op doesn't mind, I might be able to help with some figures. My wife and
I rolled up the Alcan to home in Fairbanks within a couple days of ruffntuff
(sorry we didn't cross paths.) Our trip avg gas cost/gal was $4.70 (USD) for 91+
octane, regular would be less of course, with 3600 miles in US and 2000 miles
in Canada. Some stations along the Alcan don't have 91, only 87. Typical gas
prices in Canada ranged from $4.80/gal USD in Calgary to a high of $6.00/gal USD at
Pink Mountain BC and Muncho Lake BC. Gas is less in the towns than at the
highway lodges, no surprise there. Our avg food/day was about $30 for two
of us with grocery store for breakfast and lunch and restaurant for dinner.
That is low but our travels had several days staying with friends and
family. We don't tent and avg motel was $95. Best info source for the Alcan
is the Milepost book. And as ruffntuff found, ADV'ers in Ak will help out, just give
us a shout on ADV Alaska regional or send me a PM.
Most of us have been there...
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #285
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
If the op doesn't mind, I might be able to help with some figures. My wife and
I rolled up the Alcan to home in Fairbanks within a couple days of ruffntuff
(sorry we didn't cross paths.) Our trip avg gas cost/gal was $4.70 (USD) for 91+
octane, regular would be less of course, with 3600 miles in US and 2000 miles
in Canada. Some stations along the Alcan don't have 91, only 87. Typical gas
prices in Canada ranged from $4.80/gal USD in Calgary to a high of $6.00/gal USD at
Pink Mountain BC and Muncho Lake BC. Gas is less in the towns than at the
highway lodges, no surprise there. Our avg food/day was about $30 for two
of us with grocery store for breakfast and lunch and restaurant for dinner.
That is low but our travels had several days staying with friends and
family. We don't tent and avg motel was $95. Best info source for the Alcan
is the Milepost book. And as ruffntuff found, ADV'ers in Ak will help out, just give
us a shout on ADV Alaska regional or send me a PM.
Most of us have been there...
Thank you for the info and offer.
I will start my own thread soon to get more info for my trip rather than thread jacking others. LOL........I apologize.....