ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #346
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR
 
ruffntuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
Oddometer: 107
Thank you from the bottom of my heart

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank everyone following this thread. I never imagined writing this would have impacted and influenced so many.

Each report is a challenge to write and has been taking me longer and longer to finish. However, I still enjoy every minute of it, and I certainly love all the positive feedback and messages that have been keeping me pumped to write more.

This experience remains a healing process. Sometimes I shock myself with what I end up writing. At times I think I didn't realize how I really felt or what was happening until now. Now that I'm looking back on it all, trying to articulate it.

Communicating has been a struggle in my life, and writing this is helping me overcome that.

When the thread went over 100,000 views, I was floored. I could not feel more honored to have the support I feel following me with this.

Thank you all so much, especially those that have sent me heartfelt personal messages about their own losses. I embrace you with all the goodness humankind can possess.

I vow to finish this report for Dan, for me, and for you.
It may just take longer than you like ;)
__________________
May the road rise up to meet you
And wind be always at your back
ruffntuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #347
dirtdreamer50
long time rider
 
dirtdreamer50's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: texas coast
Oddometer: 1,029
Thanks...

Thanks. That was a great read, as usual. Now I'm waiting for the next update. That bald eagle was beautiful, and BIG, too... tp
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #348
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR
 
ruffntuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
Oddometer: 107
clearing things up

Hey Rich, glad to know there's another Radian lover out there!

As far as I'm aware, there were and are no issues with my bike causing it to suck gas. Even today, as when I got it, I can get about 120miles on a tank of gas.

On my trip however, yes, I averaged 80miles. In the beginning I played around with fuel. I tried premium and mid-grade but neither seemed to change anything, so i ended up sticking to regular.

What I did find, and I didn't realize this until the Denali Highway when I made it almost 150 miles on one tank, is that my gas consumption depended completely on how much I used the throttle.

Earlier in my trip I was on highways cruising at 85 mph and I would get only 80 miles to a tank. But if islowed down to 65 or 70 I could get 90 to 100 miles on a tank. On the Denali Highway, I averaged 15 mph and got almost 150 miles.

As for elevation, I never really felt that impact the performance of the bike until I was above 7000 feet in California.

Hope this makes you feel a little better about our loyal iron horses we've committed ourselves to. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

By the way, I still need a fender if you know where I can find one ;)
Take care,

anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheese View Post
Higher altitude riding can certainly affect the Rad's performance, as it is has carbs instead of Fuel Injection.

The highest I ever was (on a motorcycle) was when I crossed Cottonwood Pass in Colorado, at a bit over 12,000 feet. My Radian that was tuned for sea level. I definitely did notice performance issues at that height, and probably had performance issues that I didn't notice at maybe lower altitudes.

However, when Anna wrote that she "was shocked when after just 80 miles my tank ran out of gas and I had to switch it to reserve," she was in West Virgina, which, although it has "Mountains," is really only hilly, compared to the West.

The highest point in WV is only 4863 feet (according to google).

I defy you, or anyone else for that matter, to discern a difference in performance with their ass-o-meter...I grant you that there will be less fuel economy 5000 feet above the altitude that the bike is tuned for, but it's minimal.

We are talking about a 33% reduction in fuel economy (80mpT versus 120mpT) and I still think that at some point Anna will chime in to mention a mal-adjusted clutch cable, or some other gremlin was sapping the bike of its reliable 45+ MPG (Highway).

This isn't just my opinion about the Radian's MPG averages, I cite these numbers with years of experience of not only riding, but also participating in the Radian Newsgroup. There have been discussions there in the past regarding fuel consumption.

I hope I don't sound argumentative...I am certainly passionate about my bike...and I am trying to make sure that people don't assume that this great little bike get's only 80 miles to a tank...because that is completely inaccurate in my, and many other, Radian owner's experience.

I hope I explained myself in a clear and concise manner.

Best regards,

Rich
__________________
May the road rise up to meet you
And wind be always at your back
ruffntuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #349
Nc987
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 22
Thank you

Anna,

Like so many others have stated, thank you for writing this. I am planning my own Alaskan adventure this summer by myself and reading your story has been an inspiration to me. This is one of my favorite all time ride reports. Keep up the good work and safe travels.
Nc987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #350
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,735
Ruffntuff,
Another excellent installment!
I don't know if you write professionally or not, but you might want to consider it.
My daughter loves to write, so she went to journalism school, and now writes almost daily. (I don't think it's turned into "work" for her, yet)
I have a difficult time stringing more than a few words together..
Thanks again, for another great update!
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #351
Merlin III
Mean SOB
 
Merlin III's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 1,310
Anna, the thing that keeps bringing me back to your report is it's sincerity. There are a lot of reports out there, but most are about the trip and not the rider. You have shared a part of who you are and that is priceless. Thanks for letting us get to know you.
Phil
__________________
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #352
tvbh40a
PSUViking
 
tvbh40a's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
Hey Rich, glad to know there's another Radian lover out there!

As far as I'm aware, there were and are no issues with my bike causing it to suck gas. Even today, as when I got it, I can get about 120miles on a tank of gas.

On my trip however, yes, I averaged 80miles. In the beginning I played around with fuel. I tried premium and mid-grade but neither seemed to change anything, so i ended up sticking to regular.

What I did find, and I didn't realize this until the Denali Highway when I made it almost 150 miles on one tank, is that my gas consumption depended completely on how much I used the throttle.

Earlier in my trip I was on highways cruising at 85 mph and I would get only 80 miles to a tank. But if islowed down to 65 or 70 I could get 90 to 100 miles on a tank. On the Denali Highway, I averaged 15 mph and got almost 150 miles.

As for elevation, I never really felt that impact the performance of the bike until I was above 7000 feet in California.

Hope this makes you feel a little better about our loyal iron horses we've committed ourselves to. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

By the way, I still need a fender if you know where I can find one ;)
Take care,

anna
Nice job again Anna.

A note to your readers and those planning a ride to Alaska. Late one night last July I was trying to make it to my next camping destination on the Alaskan Hwy I was cruising along about 70 mph.
I passed a nice looking pickup going the other direction and noticed in my rear views the guy was doing a u-turn. This pickup turned out to be a RCMP officer. He pulls me over to the side of the road. Now I knew full well the speed limit is 100 kmh (62mph). He asks for all my paper work, mentions that I am from Idaho and obviously on vacation and a tourist. And the rest of the conversation goes like this.

"Mr. Anderson, here in Canada if you go 30 kmh over the speed limit (80mph in the 100/kmh zone) we WILL seize your conveyance and you will wait to see the magistrate to get it back. Now that would put a damper on your ride wouldn't it? Just want you to know so you will have a pleasant time in our country."

I said yes it it would. He let me go with that small piece of knowledge. I made damn sure to keep it under 75 the rest of the trip.
__________________
"Do today what other's won't, so you can do tomorrow what other's can't." Jody Sears-West Point
It is not enough to want to make the effort. Its in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals."
Just tell her my wife said it's OK-Handy
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #353
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer
 
Rockmuncher's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 760
Bears

There's nothing quite like the feeling you get when you not only see the bear, but you know that the bear sees you. You know you're alive at that point.
Thanks for the great RR.
Rockmuncher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #354
Streetslammer
Littering and.......
 
Streetslammer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Southern, Maine
Oddometer: 82
Thanks for sharing your adventure, I love the fact that you could not wait to be on your bike all day every day!!!! Looking forward to your next installment!

SS
Streetslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #355
BumpyRoad
Adventurer
 
BumpyRoad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: New England
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
I would just like to take the opportunity to thank everyone following this thread. I never imagined writing this would have impacted and influenced so many.

Each report is a challenge to write and has been taking me longer and longer to finish. However, I still enjoy every minute of it, and I certainly love all the positive feedback and messages that have been keeping me pumped to write more.

This experience remains a healing process. Sometimes I shock myself with what I end up writing. At times I think I didn't realize how I really felt or what was happening until now. Now that I'm looking back on it all, trying to articulate it.

Communicating has been a struggle in my life, and writing this is helping me overcome that.

When the thread went over 100,000 views, I was floored. I could not feel more honored to have the support I feel following me with this.

Thank you all so much, especially those that have sent me heartfelt personal messages about their own losses. I embrace you with all the goodness humankind can possess.

I vow to finish this report for Dan, for me, and for you.
It may just take longer than you like ;)
Anna,

I have been following your report from the beginning but I don't often post. I start many ride reports but there have only been a handful that are compelling enough that I look forward to each installment.

My Alaska trip is in the queue for the summer of 2014 after I retire at 63.

Your brother would be proud and gratified but I'll bet he would like you to find peace, satisfaction and a little happiness after this journey.

Many thanks!
BumpyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #356
zilla
Beastly Adventurer
 
zilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: People's Republic Of Illinois
Oddometer: 1,596
Anna, terrific ride report!!!!

I spent 9 days in Alaska last year riding on a Motoquest tour I won, and I can't come up with the words to describe everything I saw and encountered there. Luckily I have my pictures.

I'm patiently waiting to read more of yours.

Thanks.
__________________
" The lesser of two evils is still evil"
zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #357
Bullspit
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Splitting Lanes Between MI and CA
Oddometer: 48
Thanks for sharing your ride with us. Writing can be hard, it can also be healing. Here is to healing!
Bullspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #358
tvbh40a
PSUViking
 
tvbh40a's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpyRoad View Post
Anna,

I have been following your report from the beginning but I don't often post. I start many ride reports but there have only been a handful that are compelling enough that I look forward to each installment.

My Alaska trip is in the queue for the summer of 2014 after I retire at 63.

Your brother would be proud and gratified but I'll bet he would like you to find peace, satisfaction and a little happiness after this journey.

Many thanks!
Amen to that.
__________________
"Do today what other's won't, so you can do tomorrow what other's can't." Jody Sears-West Point
It is not enough to want to make the effort. Its in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals."
Just tell her my wife said it's OK-Handy
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #359
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 406
Hi Anna,
I've been to Alaska twice and have really enjoyed your RR. I've also wondered if you had it to do over would you leave a couple of weeks later for greater probability of better weather?
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #360
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: EN ZED
Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Hi Anna,
I've been to Alaska twice and have really enjoyed your RR. I've also wondered if you had it to do over would you leave a couple of weeks later for greater probability of better weather?
I was weeks earlier and had way better weather.. colder but with sun. I met Anna in the Yukon on the way down on her way up. You can't plan the weather. Its a crap shoot. Roll your dice and go.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014