Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 AM   #556
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
we were just pokeing around trying to get her to come back and write more . looks like it worked
Im a huge fan of 30 year old jap bikes . they just refuse to die
you can flog them hard and sure theyll just a little more gas and oil .....but just add and go
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #557
AlaskaSolstice
Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
RR for our daughters

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFishTat View Post
...and then realized, I need to read this to my 6yr old daughter...Kevin (aka HellFishTat)
I too have brought this RR to the attention of my daughter. Except my daughter is 20. She has been riding dirtbikes since I can't remember when, and recently has expressed an interest in taking a MSF class. She will be doing an internship at a zoo this summer, so Anna's RR is particularly relevant.

Thanks for the wonderful reading Anna!

Gary,
Anchorage, AK
Old 06-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #558
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaSolstice View Post
I too have brought this RR to the attention of my daughter. Except my daughter is 20. She has been riding dirtbikes since I can't remember when, and recently has expressed an interest in taking a MSF class. She will be doing an internship at a zoo this summer, so Anna's RR is particularly relevant.

Thanks for the wonderful reading Anna!

Gary,
Anchorage, AK
It's an honor to feel I could me a role model or influence to your daughters. The thought makes me cry actually. Thank you.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #559
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
You are a role model to all of your readers, male and female. We thank you for caring enough to continue this RR, in spite of the effort continuing it causes you... tomp dd50
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #560
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,404
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
You are a role model to all of your readers, male and female. We thank you for caring enough to continue this RR, in spite of the effort continuing it causes you... tomp dd50
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #561
elkgrichard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Sorry about that ANNA, must have been another gal or something. Congrats on the front fender. Notice a dad is reading the ride report to his six year old daughter, how kewl is that.
elkgrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #562
Super T
Ridge Runner

Oddometer: 11
A Book, Now Why Didn't We Think of The Before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Tell them all to wait for the book!
Your writing style connects with the ADV community & now we know it crosses over into bed time story's for inspiration . Your writing could be a way to help made ends meet + heal the soul??? Your ride cross country & 2,100+ miles on the "AT" shows your spirit is strong & looking forward to following you back to Good Old Virginia
Just down the road in Pulaski...Take your time & get it right, we'll be here
Super T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #563
Bmblbee
Dust Monkey

Oddometer: 27
Heartfelt thanks

Anna, your ride report is beautiful in so many ways. It is the first complete ride report I read through, and I've spent the past week doing so in installments. You have a magical spirit and I am very glad you are here.
Bmblbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #564
Mutnik
nOObish

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Heck Yeah! I've always wanted to go up to Alaska and this RR is like a cattle prod of motivation for me to get out and make it happen!

thank you for the inspiring words.
Mutnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #565
Timba
Luckiest Man Alive

Oddometer: 242

"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed." M. Gandhi. (1869-1948)

TnA's travels
Timba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #566
StickJan
Mobilis in mobil

Oddometer: 22
Greetings from Sweden! Fantastic ride report indeed. Well done and hope you will have the opportunity to do more great rides ahead. Thank you for putting this down in words.

All the best and with great respect.

Sincerely//Jan
Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #567
jneiman
200 MPH

Oddometer: 84
So inspiring! I have been following this RR for a long time (mostly while at work ) and have enjoyed every post. I too have shared this report with my daughter (13) and she consistently asks me if there are any updates.

Keep it up!

God Bless!
jneiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #568
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

Leaving Vancouver

Part 2: Day 1
Vancouver, BC – San Juan Island, WA: 132 miles
June 30, 2012

Everyone told me it rains all the time in Vancouver. In the two weeks I was there, it rained three times. It rained when I toured around the mountains of North Vancouver. It rained when I explored Vancouver Island. And, it was pouring when I woke up the morning I had to pack up and head south.

I’m starting to think my Radian is a precipitation magnet.

I moved slowly, avoiding the inevitable, as I packed up my clothes and belongings. I had three piles on the bed. One pile to send to San Francisco, one pile to send home, and one very modest pile to pack on the bike.

At this point I had downsized my traveling necessities quite a bit. Mostly just extra layers of clothes I found myself not using. No matter how cold it was, I could only wear so many layers before I could no longer move or bend my arms. They were just stuck out there, bouncing like a buoy fixed to the side of a tree. I reminded myself of the child from A Christmas Story.

I was being hopeful that my coldest days were behind me and wrestling my arms through my jacket with too many layers on would be an experience of the past.

Dressed in my riding gear, street clothes packed, I walked my boxes down to the post office. It only felt fitting that I allow myself to get wet before departing. I may as well get it over with now.

It felt so familiar walking into the post office, soaking wet in my riding gear, carrying my boxes nearly melting and falling apart by the time I got there. The tape was coming unstuck, labels wouldn’t stick, and even a sharpie wouldn’t mark the soggy cardboard. The clerk had a similar confused expression I remembered the man having when I waltzed in to the post office in Tok as I pulled a wet box out from under my jacket. I held a large grin.

$78 later, I crossed my fingers and hoped my clothes would make it to San Francisco, at least so I’d have something to wear to the Zoo for my first day of work other than underarmor and a Tourmaster outfit that made me look like a blue Power Ranger.

I bought last minute snacks for the road and fancy chocolate to leave my house mates for their kind hospitality. They were my Vancouver family I’ll never forget.

For my last night in the city I went out with Julian and Cliff for a wonderful sushi dinner. It was all-you-can-eat after 9:30 so we wasted time walking along the Sea wall for a gorgeous sunset.

(I got some ass on our lovely stroll)

We saw some interesting rock sculptures people had built. The rocks were so perfectly balanced, stacked one on top of the other, it looked like a magic trick. I investigated them very closely, temped to push one over and check the bottom for glue or tape. I am still perplexed by them.

Later we met up with Jules and Jean at our local pub in North Van where I had my first taste of Canadian poutine, fries with gravy and cheese curds. Mmmm, why had I not heard of this before?! It’s like sex in your mouth! The most erotic mishmash of lustful foods blended together to form one irresistible orgasmic bite.

I thoroughly enjoyed sharing a beautiful house with these wonderful people for two weeks. I was sad to leave, but knew I would always have someone to visit in Vancouver.

(Me and Cliff)

(Julian checking out the Radian)

(Jean and Jules)

By the time I got the bike packed and said my goodbyes, it was two in the afternoon already and the rain had lightened up. I was beginning to feel butterflies tickling my gut, excited to ride.

I didn’t have much of a plan on any particular route to get to San Francisco. All I knew is I had to be there in a week to start work at the Zoo. My Aunt lives in Portland, so I wanted to stop there for the 4th of July, my Dad would be there visiting too. And, I knew I wanted to see Olympia National Forest.

I had debated about riding more inland and following the Cascade Mountains over riding the coastline around Washington. However, Billy continued to tease me, bragging about his enduring adventure after leaving me in Vancouver unable to journey on.

He told me about San Juan Island and a great place to camp where he heard orcas spraying water from their blowholes at night, although he never saw one. I was partially determined to go there, just to see an orca, so I could then brag to him about my fortune instead.

It wasn’t that far from Vancouver and feasible with my late start. I was up for another ferry ride to tour around an island, but going in that direction only made sense if I was to head through Olympic and stick to the coast. I decided the Cascade Mountains would be another ride another time.

I took small side roads leaving Vancouver. I wanted to ease myself back into the groove of riding loaded down on a wet road. Even in the rain, Vancouver is a beautiful city. I rode by Jericho beach and lush green parks rimmed by the water, and through UBC, an impressive campus. I enjoyed every last minute of Vancouver. It’s one of very few cities I truly love. Maybe I’ll live there one day.

Obsessive thought of the day:

I have a tendency to read my horoscope. It was a little unsettling the one I read before leaving Vancouver said, “…something will require fixing…”
Hmm, foreshadow?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #569
ruffntuff OP
TUFRDR

So I typically like to write each post to include the entire day of riding....but since i'm taking so damn long and being such a damn perfectionist, i've decided to just post what I have as I work on it.

So one day may be broken up into multiple posts, but it's all gonna get edited and re-written eventually anyway to hopefully get printed, so I may as well just say "fuck it" and post what I got so I stop dwelling over the same sentence for an hour and leave you all hanging...geese!

Thanks for your patience and following along.

anna
Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #570
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
However you decide to serve it up to us, I know it will be a tasty dish, for sure. Your description of being over dressed made me think of The Christmas Story, as I was reading, and damned if you didn't mention the same thought... Thanks for the thread... tomp dd50