Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #571
moto74
Displaced

Oddometer: 134
I can't believe I've just found this. Read the intro and thought 'well that's it for the rest of my afternoon then'. I'm humbled by your ADV spirit and what you do for your bro.

moto74 screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 07:18 PM
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #572
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,384
yea!

It's Geese Louise! Sitting in my easy chair next to my wife, I turn on the laptop. CK email and I utter 'sweet'.

My wife say's to me must be another post by anna.....
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #573
norham
flagrant bozo

Oddometer: 325
Just finished a marathon reading session. Such a fine RR, thank you Anna for allowing us to join you. Here's wishing you the best in your future....
norham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #574
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
wow. started reading this last night just before bed...didn't get to bed until 1:30am. got up at 7 this morning to finish reading this. subscribed.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #575
TLR_Mart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
Later we met up with Jules and Jean at our local pub in North Van where I had my first taste of Canadian poutine, fries with gravy and cheese curds. Mmmm, why had I not heard of this before?! Its like sex in your mouth! The most erotic mishmash of lustful foods blended together to form one irresistible orgasmic bite.

That's not a *real* poutine! Ya gotta go to Quebec for that. Fresh curd cheese, the proper gravy, and deliciously cooked "cantine" fries.. It doesn't get better than that! If you went orgasmic for that poutine, you'll explode with the real thing :)
TLR_Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #576
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR_Mart View Post
That's not a *real* poutine! Ya gotta go to Quebec for that. Fresh curd cheese, the proper gravy, and deliciously cooked "cantine" fries.. It doesn't get better than that! If you went orgasmic for that poutine, you'll explode with the real thing :)
OK, you got me curious, now. I've looked at several recipes for poutine, and the only difference between any of them is how the gravy is made. What makes yours better than another?

Here in Texas we eat lots of chili cheese fries. Thick chili, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, melted, and fries. Tater tots work as a replacement for fries, sometimes, too...
Old 06-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #577
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
I think poutine was born in Quebec, so if you want authentic ya gotta go to the source to get the real flavors....

Quebecois, corrrect me if I'm wrong....

This is very different from it's anagram "pitoune" .... (no, not used in the timber sense...)
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #578
TLR_Mart
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
OK, you got me curious, now. I've looked at several recipes for poutine, and the only difference between any of them is how the gravy is made. What makes yours better than another?

Here in Texas we eat lots of chili cheese fries. Thick chili, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, melted, and fries. Tater tots work as a replacement for fries, sometimes, too...
It's mostly in the cheese. You can have different gravies, differently cooked fries (crispy oven style, or deep frier), but if it doesn't have curd cheese (basically it's unripened, non pasteurized cheddar cheese curd) then the poutine is essentially not a poutine. Think about making a pizza with Kraft cheese singles instead of Mozzarella, or Elvis being Asian. Not the same.

While there are many many many variations of poutine, the original is still the best way to try it for the first time. As Anna has so eloquently stated, it is an oral orgasm. I urge anyone who wants to try one, to do so especially if you are in my province of Quebec. There are many "Cantines" (Kan-tins) which are mom & pop chip stands (fry stands?), and they all offer poutine. These are the best places to get them. Or, if you are in Sherbrooke, QC, then head to Louis Luncheonette, and you'll have (arguably) the best poutine around.

While the recipe doesn't look like rocket science, the way it is prepared, and the ingrediants used is *very* important. After 35 yrs of eating it, I've rarely had a good one outside of the province.

If you're ever in my corner of the world, I'd be happy to show you where it all started, and have a good plate of poutine :)
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #579
TLR_Mart
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
I think poutine was born in Quebec, so if you want authentic ya gotta go to the source to get the real flavors....

Quebecois, corrrect me if I'm wrong....

This is very different from it's anagram "pitoune" .... (no, not used in the timber sense...)
Yes it was. The original place is still disputed to this day, but either Warwick, QC or Drummonville, QC is the birthplace. Poutine is slang for "mix", or "mess". The story goes that an old restauranteur had left over gravy and cheese, and a client wanted it mixed together with fries to try out. The owner said, "a va faire une belle poutine!" (That'll make a nice mess!) and the name stuck.

This wiki pretty much gets it right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

And "Pitoune" boils down to Hot Chick. Can be used as a compliment, but can get you into trouble
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #580
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
I've eaten fried cheese curds several times in Wisconsin, and they were good.

I have a strong feeling I will never make it to Canada, but if so, I will make sure to get over to your area to have the original poutine. Try some chili cheese fries, just don't use northern style chili that has beans, etc, It's like your poutine, it takes the correct ingredients to taste just right..

Who created poutine up there is like here in the states, who created the hamburger? Still being debated, today...tomp dd50
Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #581
Bmblbee
Dust Monkey

Oddometer: 27
Like so many other things

It is very possible to get good poutine outside of Quebec-or even Canada, for that matter. Down here in the desert, there is a restaurant that does a damned good poutine-and I've had it in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.

It's a bit like the no true Scotsman fallacy.
Bmblbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #582
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 690
What a great way to honor your brother!
Please don't judge Kansas by what you saw from the Interstate, that isn't a good representation of our state. We don't have any mountains but the is a lot of beauty here. Here are some samples.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=kansas
Thanks for taking us along on your adventure.

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #583
Dirigo
Curious

Oddometer: 302
What a journey

I started reading this yesterday morning and just now caught up. I can say that I absolutey achieved NOTHING at work during this time. However, as I left the office and got on the bike I somehow felt that it was my most enjoyable day at work. I laughed out loud, found goosebumps and even felt my eyes get a little itch (not misty or anything mind you!). Everything between thoughs of your brother to cleavage juice and farts has left me excited for the next installment.
Thank you Anna!!!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #584
Super T
Ridge Runner

Oddometer: 11
Please don't judge Kansas by what you saw from the Interstate, that isn't a good representation of our state. We don't have any mountains but the is a lot of beauty here. Here are some samples.
.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Good Vibes of Kansas, well done
Super T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #585
slowarc
Whiskey Tango

Oddometer: 2,385
I found this RR from a link in the basement. Best ever.