User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
dwenglis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Holligan w/ Hardbags

Okay heres another post requesting advice.

I currently own a 07 Tuono with a few minor mods like heated grips, pipes, and screen. It has 7100k on the clock. I use it for commuting as well as weekend fun.

Here lately I am finding that I am not satisfied with the commuting abilities of this bike. If I am running to the grocery store after work I have no place to store my gear, nor bags to transport the gallon of milk home. I have a tank bag which I use as well as a back pack. Both are useful but lack the convenience of a top box or panniers. I know lots of folks tour on the tuono, but this is an entirely separate task from commuting. If all I did was tour, then I would buy a Ventura rack and be done with it.

Now I love my bike but I constantly suffer from the "shiny and new syndrome." Ideally I would buy a bike similar to mine with hard bags but I don't think it exists. No one seems to make a holligan with hardbags IMHO. So.

I have searched high and low and found you can get HB c-bow bags for the tuono. Which are tempting... but don't really seem to solve the problem. And I can modify the pillion pad and put a top box on it as well. The question is will sinking more money in the bike make me happy? I know only I can answer this, but I would love some other opinions.

Does a true Holligan with Hardbags exist? Should I make one? Does anyone have a cure for the "shiney and new, grass is always greener" syndrome?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Just buy a top box. They're pretty cheap.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by duxrneet View Post
Just buy a top box. They're pretty cheap.
Agreed, and since you apparently only ride a little over 1000 miles a year it shouldn't be a big issue for you.

About the shiny and new thing... I have the opposite problem. I like to tinker with my bikes and set them up to my preference with regard to comfort, ergos, and performance. So once I get a bike that I like sorted out for me, I find it hard to let go of it.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
celticus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
That is a good question. hooligans are some of the nicest looking bikes but I am an old woman when it comes to hard bags. I like them. I don't however like a top box. Ruins the looks of anything.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Ktm SMT
Ducati multistrada / hyperstrada
Ninja 1000 with bags
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
Dankarnov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I have a Speed Triple, so I'm in a similar scenario. The stubby tailsections of these bikes, especially with high pipes, just aren't great for luggage, hard or soft. My commuter solution is a Kriega US20 on the pillion. This is enough for bringing lunch into work. If I need more storage (like grocery shopping) I have a Kriega R35 backpack. Between these, I can handle any realistic around-town shlepping.

If you're looking to leave, say, a riding suit on the bike while you're off on foot, obviously the US20 doesn't lock and is somewhat easily stealable itself. Your only real option is a lockable hard case with a fairly secure mount.

As far as hoolie bikes with hard bags, a BMW K1300R can take bags, but is a big ride. You can always try streetfightering something like a Triumph Sprint.
Dankarnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,727
Quote:
The question is will sinking more money in the bike make me happy? I know only I can answer this, but I would love some other opinions.
Probably not. You already don't put a lot of miles on it. That tells me it's not "the one." Why fight an upstream battle for a bike you don't, like, love, man?

Quote:
Does a true Holligan with Hardbags exist? Should I make one? Does anyone have a cure for the "shiney and new, grass is always greener" syndrome?
Anything can be made. Who gives a crap what the manufacturers and suppliers offer? If you have time, $, or friends with skills who work for beer, you can hardbag any bike out there. It's not that hard.

As for the social component, people who do what it takes to make a bike they love work for them get a lot of respect from hardcore riders. It's always nice to see how someone resolved their incongruous wants against the limitations of the factory and market.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Carry stuff, why not get a hooligan scooter

or if that not your style there is always the Buell Ulysses.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
There is a definite tradeoff between "sexy" and cargo. I'm convinced a frumpy set of luggage means I get treated as a non-hooligan by local drivers and LEOs, but that might just be in my head. OTOH, for the month or so I had the f800r I felt able to actually do more hooligan things (passing over the double yellow, lanesplitting, passing over the double yellow, parking in weird places, and also passing over the double yellow).

Maybe a sporty standard that has good Givi or SW-Motech luggage rack options would do the trick, and you wouldn't even need to go european: The pre-2012 or 2013 ninja1k had luggage options and similar power to your Tuono. Yamaha's fz1 is another option, and even a VFR1200 might do you, but it is a bigger bike than your Tuono (visually and in terms of weight).

IMHO, it is pretty rare for any bike to still look "sexy" with luggage on. It might look "rugged", but that's something for the beasts forum. I don't expect you're going to go get lost on a muddy trail at Uwharrie

I think there are topbox mounts for street/speed triples, if not hard side luggage. Luggage like that sort of makes any sporty standard look frumpy as hell, though.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
There is a definite tradeoff between "sexy" and cargo. I'm convinced a frumpy set of luggage means I get treated as a non-hooligan by local drivers and LEOs, but that might just be in my head. OTOH, for the month or so I had the f800r I felt able to actually do more hooligan things (passing over the double yellow, lanesplitting, passing over the double yellow, parking in weird places, and also passing over the double yellow).

Maybe a sporty standard that has good Givi or SW-Motech luggage rack options would do the trick, and you wouldn't even need to go european: The pre-2012 or 2013 ninja1k had luggage options and similar power to your Tuono. Yamaha's fz1 is another option, and even a VFR1200 might do you, but it is a bigger bike than your Tuono (visually and in terms of weight).

IMHO, it is pretty rare for any bike to still look "sexy" with luggage on. It might look "rugged", but that's something for the beasts forum. I don't expect you're going to go get lost on a muddy trail at Uwharrie

I think there are topbox mounts for street/speed triples, if not hard side luggage. Luggage like that sort of makes any sporty standard look frumpy as hell, though.
A couple that come to mind:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r100rs/b...0rs-photos.htm

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/phot...ille%20(3).jpg
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,678
+1 on the Ninja 1000

another option would be to make a short list of the bikes you may want, then check to see what options/accessories are available for them. For example, if you go to the Givi website, they have a "my motorcycle" option - you can use this to see what all they offer for the bike you are interested in. You can do this with SW Motech as well.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
Carry stuff, ...there is always the Buell Ulysses.
Bingo! Great hooligan bike and lots of carrying capacity. And the XB12XT version even came with a top box as well as the hard bags.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Ktm SMT
Ducati multistrada / hyperstrada
Ninja 1000 with bags
Any of these three would be great.
I'd probalby lean toward the Ducati if money wasn't an issue but since it always is I'd probably end up with either a used SMT or a nice hold-over Ninja
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 962
Touratech enables your deep dark desires.

WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 274
I have a Givi rack and 45L boxes on my Naked Bandit 1200, and I consider that bike to be a hooligan. Well, it makes me feel like one anyway

Here's the box (http://www.duncansbeemers.com/pimages4/Givi45N.jpg)

And the Top Box (Kind of ugly but plenty of storage) (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...onokey-topcase)

Just came back from a 200 mile overnight trip with a pillion and it is still hooliganesque.

Her: "It has room for all of our stuff AND a Go button!"

-Jake

YJake screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 05:07 PM
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote