rauchman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Thinking of a cruiser

Greetings all,

I've owned..
2002 SV650S bought as new
2002 Yamaha Roadstar bought as new
2007 SV1000S bought used in 2008 that I've cafe racerized (this is my current ride)

I have an itch to get back to a cruiser since
A. I'd like something to ride that doesn't get targeted as much by "the man".
B. I'd like something that doesn't need to go really fast to be enjoyable.
C. I'd like something that is more comfy for long distance riding. I know there are many advocates here for the rear set type of riding position. I've found I like the cruiser/standard sitting poistion w/ the feet in the sitting in a chair position better. Not a fan of feet way forward though.

Some candidates I'm looking at are...

Triumph Thunderbird Storm
Yamaha Roadstar Warrior
HD Superglide
HD Street Bob
HD Fat Bob
HD Switchback
HD Road King
Victory?

Some questions...
1. How much of a difference is there in ride quality between a Dyna and HD Touring frame? How is it different?
2. Any comments on touring on a Triumph TBird?
3. Of the Dyans, which gives the best ride quality?
4. Victory - Is there a difference between the touring rigs and cruiser frames in terms of ride quality? If so, how?
5. Any other recommendations?

The only other bike, that is noncruiser, that interests me right now, is the Triumph 800 Tiger. Thoughts?

rauchman screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 09:55 AM
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
I don't have much to offer regarding HD bikes. I can tell you that the Suzuki M109 bikes sell on the used market for a really reasonable price. My understanding is that the engines are really good and the subframes really strong. I think they're an odd bike in respect to how owners like them. It's either a love or hate relationship.

As per the Triumph 800, never heard a bad thing (first hand) from an owner. Have you considered the Triumph Rocket III? If I were in the market for a cruiser I'd probably be looking at it.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
If you want to tour comfortably then get a bagger for sure. They are made for that and are well thought out to serve that purpose with the right seating position, weather protection and suspension. If u get a cruiser and try to add bags it will likely leave u withtoo many compromises and much to be desired. As far as which bagger, that depends on your body shape and size. Just have to sit on as many as u have access to until you find one that " speaks to you". Good luck.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Sean Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Cruiser

Used HD touring are almost reasonable these days. Usually they are loaded with extras and well maint. The Touring is buch better than the Dyna.
The new 106 Victory is awesome. I rode one but went with a used Rocket 3 Touring, that I can't say enought about. I would recomend that bike except you said you don't want to go fast

The Royal Star Tour Deluxe is also a great value. The hard part is getting a low milage one. The owners seem to ride them over 40k before the ever come up for sale.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
JerryH, this your moment of destiny.

Seize it.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post

Seize it.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
rauchman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Smith View Post
. I would recomend that bike except you said you don't want to go fast
Not exactly. Don't want to be noticed by "the man". I've found riding a bike that is not a cruiser, puts one on "the man's" radar a lot more frequently than when one is on a cruiser.

Interesting about the Rocket III. Hadn't considered that.

rauchman screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 01:20 PM
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Nothing unusual about someone wanting a cruiser, they are some of the best bikes out there. They are THE most comfortable, they are excellent for touring, you can pack a ton of stuff on them. And they give a very relaxed, unhurried ride. You can just settle in for a long comfortable day on the road.

Unfortunately I have not ridden any of the bikes you mentioned, but I haven't heard anything bad about any of them either. Since the main thing about a cruiser is long distance comfort, I would be looking for a good fit more than anything else.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I recently wanted a cruiser also and were looking at similar bikes, not really harley's though I didn't want to spend a bunch of money. I have a B-King and CBR600rr in my garage and wanted something comfortable but still could get out of it's own way. After looking at stuff like the V-rod, M109r and others I actually settled on a VTX1800C. They can be found fairly cheaply on the used market and the first hand accounts show they last for quite a long time. Not really the best for touring because of their small tank.

On a side note, I'm taking a trip in a few months and renting a SV650, I'm afraid that I'm going to like it too much and want to buy one when I get back.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
The ride quality of the HD Touring frame is noticable compared to the dyna if talking about comfort for highway miles and laid back touring. They are both rubber mounted style frames ( not identical, but similar) , the geometry of the touring bikes and the overall larger dimensions of the frames make them more planted for eating up miles. The Dyna frames will be narrower, the bike will be lighter and it will offer a more sportier ride around town. Pick what suits you and your riding best.

Of the dyna's you listed - if by best ride quality , you mean comfort for crusing and doing highway miles and lazy backroads, then the Switchback would edge out the others.

If you want a sportier ride and not so much about comfort on the highway, than the superglide would be better for that.

The rest of the HD's mentioned would fall in between those 2.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
sloryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Cruisers

Rauchman, may I add to the list a VTX 1300? I had one for a few years and it was very comfy. Got right at 50 mpg with it on a trip. Also, consider a V-Star 950. You can pick one up brand new for $7200, or the touring model for $7900 at Lake Hill Motors, Corinth Ms. The bikes you mentioned are also great rides, but just figured ca$h is always a consideration.
sloryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
bisbonian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
If you don't like feet forward then I'd scratch the Warrior off your list.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,580
Your size may factor in.
I lusted after a road king,
but my lack of child bearing hips
made sitting on that wide bastard rather uncomfortable.
5'8" 32"inseam.

Ended up with a switchback.
same 103" and 100lbs less,
although I don't think mids are an option.
I hate forwards myself, but the floorboards on the FLD are well placed.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post

Seize it.

I opened this thread looking for JerryH's heavy handed opinions.
And now... I wait..
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
All cruisers are feet forward to a point, that is what makes them so comfortable. Why do you think the put a footrest on a recliner. The idea of a cruiser is to have most of your weight supported by the seat. And for anyone with a back problem, a riders backrest makes them way more comfortable. Cruisers are not designed to go fast, though some do. But they are definitely not designed to handle well at high speeds. That's what you give up for comfort. The new CTX may change some of that.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote