Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
GeoAggie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Thanks again for the encouragement's guys.

Obie - good to hear from you. I still can't believe it happened either. In fact, I was sliding down the road thinking "no freaking way, not me Mr. Cautious and Deliberate in Action" ;-). The lighter GS may have gotten by quicker . . . But that new motor is awesome in the GT. The negative is the overall bike's weight. Since once I heal I may add a bike, has anyone added 'lower' bars to a MTS? I'm looking for a lighter sport touring bike but I need to lean forward a little and the Ducati is bolt upright. Maybe flat bars? Thanks for responding and be safe.
GeoAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Crashes happen - there's always a reason... the important thing is to survive and let it go. I am very happy for you that you escaped this one with only minor injuries (gear rocks!).

Last time I crashed (November 2009) I was hit by a 16 year old that had gotten his license that morning (!) and had 4 same age friends in the car (illegal). It was 100% his fault (no shiet... he drove DIRECTLY INTO me after crossing 3 lanes including a merging lane!) and still... I had taken off in rather "spirited" fashion from the previous light and was alone on a big 5 lane road - if I had been just a bit slower (or faster ) the moron would have missed. Worst thing of all: I was on my way home to load up the truck to go to the track the next day! Grrrrr....

Anyhow... I was wearing full gear (two piece race suit, back protector, gloves, race boots... the whole monty) - I tumbled several times but the only injury I had was a slight pain in my left foot which was sandwiched between bike and car when he hit me. I didn't think much of it and went home without going to the hospital. Within a few hours my foot was swollen huge and hurt like a great mother of fuck. The next morning my wife took me to the doc and I got xrays. I figured it had to be broken for sure given the amount of pain... but it was not. Or rather, the doc said that if there were fractures they were so small they wouldn't be visible in the xrays. Nothing much to do... the foot hurt for a few days (I wore a brace), within a couple of weeks it was mostly OK, in under a month I was back riding. I am guessing something similar is going on with your hip - it'll take some time but you'll be back to new before you know it...

As for your next bike, here's your chance to get the most perfect all-around motorcycle in the world:

Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
GeoAggie OP
Adventurer

That's a sweet ride apessino! I'm not sure however my low bike could take the position for hours at a time. I wish . . . The 2013 GT is in blue and looks fantastic. It appears time will be on my side.

Your story confirms that ATGATT is so very critical. I had removed the hip pads to my Darien over pants for comfort. Go figure, now I have a hip injury.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,423
Yeap,shit does indeed happen quickly sometimes. Ive had some sort of streetbike since high school,long time ago to keep it simple.
Ive survived on dumb luck and dirt riding skills help lots.

I was passing a truck on a dirt road in Nevada. (Like the man said,if cars are moving slow there is a reason)

I got to the front of the truck at about 55mph and a cow that had been backed up to the fence on the right (I never saw it)

Said cow sprinted out in ft of the truck at the very last second,I hit it the second I saw it,no time to do anything.

Left handlebar and side of bike hit cow,I launched over the bars after pulling the bar mount bolts out with my upper leg,then I sailed/slid/bounced for a ways down the road,maybe 60 feet with the bike tumbling along with me.

All of a sudden Im laying alongside the road with a DRZe laying on my legs,the truck guy was ready to call for a life flight.

I had a smushed finger tip from the clutch lever coming back from the cow strike,thigh hurt lots.

Eventually I got up and got on the bike and rode away,went back to camp,had a beer and relaxed for the rest of the day. It was a pretty scarey deal.

I was so stiff and sore all over my whole body,it hurt just to sit there, I got up and rode the next day for 80 miles till my riding buddy did the endo of doom in a snow bank,we called it a week at that point.

Ive felt lucky ever since that day,hasnt slowed me down one iota.

I had layers of gear on,didnt get a scratch from sliding down a gravel road at speed.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoAggie View Post
That's a sweet ride apessino! I'm not sure however my low bike could take the position for hours at a time. I wish . . . The 2013 GT is in blue and looks fantastic. It appears time will be on my side.

Your story confirms that ATGATT is so very critical. I had removed the hip pads to my Darien over pants for comfort. Go figure, now I have a hip injury.
If I leave out 1 piece of riding gear when I trailride,thats where I get nailed,its pretty much automatic.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #21
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,515
Thanks for sharing this. This morning I passed several slow moving cars.. Nothing happened, the person in the lead was just slow. Next time there will be more to think about. Which is good.

Glad you are mostly OK, and hope there are no fractures or tears. Most everything else heals.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,152
Regarding the hip injury... I suffered a pretty good one during plebe year, crashing and burning off the parallel bars to the gym floor... missed the mat.

Bounced up, hurting like a big dog, but trying to "John Wayne" the pain. Continued through the day's classes, but by the post-supper lecture, I could not sit down. Sent to the ER, where X-Rays indicated no fracture. (This was prior to the days of CT and MR. The head nurse may have been trained by Nurse Ratched... she had no sense of humor.)

Evidently the bruising allowed blood to pool near the ball and socket joint, locking it up. Spent the next couple of days flat on my back, getting ultra sound treatments to break up the pooled blood.

The Supt. dropped by the hospital, and when he came to my bed in the large, open ward, I laid at the proper position of attention and saluted.

GEN Knowlton cracked up laughing.

Got better and continued... I hope you'll have the same healing success that I did.

No problems since, and it's been 40 years!?!

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #23
_Davi_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Don't be too hard on yourself...with almost any bike vs a cage, passing is such a simple and effortless joy that we get complacent. Live and learn! And keep riding ASAP.
1977 VW Westy camper bus
1976 feet (no titanium yet!)
_Davi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoAggie View Post
Thanks again for the encouragement's guys.

Obie - good to hear from you. I still can't believe it happened either. In fact, I was sliding down the road thinking "no freaking way, not me Mr. Cautious and Deliberate in Action" ;-). The lighter GS may have gotten by quicker . . . But that new motor is awesome in the GT. The negative is the overall bike's weight. Since once I heal I may add a bike, has anyone added 'lower' bars to a MTS? I'm looking for a lighter sport touring bike but I need to lean forward a little and the Ducati is bolt upright. Maybe flat bars? Thanks for responding and be safe.
First sorry for your mishap, but thanks for posting the experience, helps us all.

I had the k1200GT 07 for a while, and know how easy it is to get lulled into thinking every pass is going to be easy.

On the MTS12, I had one for a year and 9k miles. I hated the wide bars, so proceeded to make them narrow, but found I could only go 1/2" off each end due to all the stuff needed lots of space to mount on the flat straight part. You could gain some space by dropping the turn signal/handguards for something else, but still not easy. Think the flatter you go, the tank gets in the way during lock, also front windshield/dash area.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #25
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Hey GEOAGGIE- Glad to hear that you're OK, sort of. Wanted to let you know, on May 12, 2012, I was riding my R1100RSL when a driver turned in front of me. He said he never saw me! Totaled the bike, 4 broken ribs, collapsed lung, radial fractures of the hip socket. 12 weeks of no weight, 4 weeks of 50% weight, then therapy. While I was no weight, a friend and I went to WI and I bought a 2007 R1200GS. I'd go out in the garage and look and polish. The day the Dr. told me "no more crutches", I went for a 30 mile ride. A little hard getting on and off, but it felt great. I have ridden since I was 14, and I'm now 61. First major accident. I've since ridden over 900 miles, with the longest being about 150. I'm glad I got back on. I've always been careful (ATGATT), but now I'm even more so. In fact, I just ordered a HI-VIZ jacket! If you love to ride, get back on, and for god's sake, be more careful.
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #26
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,589
October 1st was my 7th year anniversary of the very same accident. Riding aggressively tried to pass a line of 6 cars going about 10 mph under the speed limit. By the time I got to the last car I was moving out, then the bluehair in front put her left turn signal on and turned left in front of me.

I don't know if me or those magical servo brakes were screaming louder as I headed straight for her door, but I had some room to work with and got more with a panicked left turn. Gave the space back offroading through a bar ditch and pecan trees disguising the produce stand the bluehair was going to visit. I finally made contact with her left fender and tore her bumoer off but I had bailed out over her hood by then and was only going 20mph or so.

All told the damage to me, the GS and the caddy was relatively minor and I was lucky to only get a couple tickets for my stupidity, my insurance company (dairlyland) fixed everything and didn't even raise my rates.

Live and learn. I'm a bit gun shy passing more than a couple cagers now.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #27
GeoAggie OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4mini View Post
Hey GEOAGGIE- Glad to hear that you're OK, sort of. Wanted to let you know, on May 12, 2012, I was riding my R1100RSL when a driver turned in front of me. He said he never saw me! Totaled the bike, 4 broken ribs, collapsed lung, radial fractures of the hip socket. 12 weeks of no weight, 4 weeks of 50% weight, then therapy. While I was no weight, a friend and I went to WI and I bought a 2007 R1200GS. I'd go out in the garage and look and polish. The day the Dr. told me "no more crutches", I went for a 30 mile ride. A little hard getting on and off, but it felt great. I have ridden since I was 14, and I'm now 61. First major accident. I've since ridden over 900 miles, with the longest being about 150. I'm glad I got back on. I've always been careful (ATGATT), but now I'm even more so. In fact, I just ordered a HI-VIZ jacket! If you love to ride, get back on, and for god's sake, be more careful.
Wow, that was quite a recovery! Glad you're doing well now and back on the bike. I'm currently waiting on the results of the bone scan and hoping for the best.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #28
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
This is a pretty common cause of accidents, and it sucks. I've had close calls doing exactly the same thing, and it seems like rural farm roads that I generally consider the safest places to be riding are the most dangerous when it comes to this kind of pass. It's almost better to make it very obvious to the vehicle in front of you that you intend to pass, and usually they'll just wave you by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
re: the decision to pass ... those decisions happen quickly. I've asked myself the same question even when a decision didn't result in a close call (what COULD have happened?). You can't always do everything perfect when riding these things, there's unavoidable risk. The bad result is nevertheless more experience to have in the bag, and it'll make you a better rider.

Hope you have the quickest recovery.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #29
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,734
Thanks for Sharing

You have been very fortunate in your 20 riding career- It just shows you (us), that we can get into the "mode" of moving at a fast pace and your mind is telling you to continue onward- no matter what. This is a good lesson for all riders, newbies and vets to always read the road a-h-e-a-d of you...
Thanks for your story and get well soon!
hankgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
Gimpinator
Minister Funny Walks

Oddometer: 1,062
GeoAggie -

Sorry to hear of your mishap. I've had a few lapses in judgement over the years, but fortunately haven't been punished yet. I do reflect after the fact though and burn the mistake into my memory.

On the subject of broken hips, I'm pretty much an expert. I've done it twice to the same hip and I'm around the same age as you. Both times were impact trauma from sports. The first involved fracturing the socket (acetabulum). I was lucky and the bones stayed in place so it healed in twelve weeks with no weight bearing. The second was a break in the femoral neck. (Google Floyd Landis' hip break - same type of impact for me.) This one was bad and required big screws right away. I'll be done healing after nine months, so the doc says.

Hip fractures are EXCRUCIATING! If you're walking around today, you should be optimistic.

Best of luck to you. Sorry to hear of the demise of such a beautiful bike