Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
KTM450SX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
950 Stupid Enduro + Shroai battery dead??

My 950 super enduro has been sitting for about 6 months. I left it charged. I thought these shorai batteries were supposed to last a year without charging?

I tried charging it and my charger will say its done after about and hour but there is not enough power to even turn the dash lights on and the headlight just barley turns on.

Is my battery done for good?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
It is most likely.

Here are some details on these batteries:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770364

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=shorai
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
KTM450SX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks well crap. I guess they all need to be on a tender..I got the shoria because i'm really lazy about putting them on tenders.

Whats a good normal battery that isn't $300 like the stock battery lol.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
The Shorai - just like all other LiFePo4 batteries - will not drain by itself significantly even over a longer period.

If you've got a parasitic draw on the system even while turned off that's a whole other issue.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,586
Li-po is not ready for prime time IMO. My SE ate a RR so I'll exclude the 4 batteries it ate up, my SXf505 went thru 4 of 2 different Mfg AND a Shorai. Couldn't keep a charge over a week. A old, original 4 or 5 series 2007 lead acid went back in and the troubles disappeared. Ditto my 530EXC and Burg 570. Though, to be fair, those only saw Shorais that wouldn't hold juice. Again, the original 7 series Yuasas are just fine today and still in service.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
pepetrueba
PePeBaJa

Oddometer: 195
Wicked shorai

I have no complains on my shorai. Bike any times spends a couple of months with no use, I just have lights and rigid dually on for 15 seconds,pull the choke and starter spins like a turbine like it was running with 24 volts!. Starts right up.
Pepe
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
The clock will drain any battery if you don't charge or ride the bike for long enough. Try recharging your Shorai. I discharged my 2 year old one to 4 volts by inadvertently leaving the GPS on for a week. I simply put it on the trickle charger for 24hrs and it's been totally reliable ever since. Suggest you look for a parasitic draw on your SE's battery before leaving it without a maintenance charger for long periods, or disconnect the battery if it will set idle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
KTM450SX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll try the light keeps coming on on my 1amp charger saying its done though after a few minutes.

I guess i need a volt meeter.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 693
The dedicated Shroai charger that charges each cell individualy is the best way to recover one that has been over discharged. Not that I would sugest throwing more money at the problem. Best bet may be to try and return it. I have had 2 replaced for free .

I will only run one on my 450exc. I have been able to make it last a year by putting it on the dedicated charge after each ride to top it off then take it off the charger.

It is not recomended to leave one on a standard Battery tender type charger for storage.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,021
Laugh Buy their charger... or buy a Yuasa & start again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
The dedicated Shroai charger that charges each cell individualy is the best way to recover one that has been over discharged. Not that I would sugest throwing more money at the problem. Best bet may be to try and return it. I have had 2 replaced for free .

It is not recomended to leave one on a standard Battery tender type charger for storage.
+10 on using the Shorai's charger/tender as it monitors & charges each cell on its own- but more importantly it charges at the proper higher voltage for the battery. Standard charger/tenders can not charge them fully...

I wouldn't own a Shorai without their charger- period. It comes with its dedicated cord to wire & leave on your bike- long enough for our battery locations as well!

They have good customer service but I wouldn't ask for a replacement battery without buying the charger if you want this barttery to last the 5yrs or so it should.
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post

I wouldn't own a Shorai without their charger- period.

They have good customer service but I wouldn't ask for a replacement battery without buying the charger if you want this barttery to last the 5yrs or so it should.
For sure... After killing 2 of them I bought the charger and my 3rd one has lasted well.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,622
Fwiw, the Shorai in my SE is on month 14. Totally discharged once from a RR failure October 2011; charged with a Battery Tender brand trikle charger and has been fine since. Other than that, it's not been on a charger. Gone through one NJ winter and started the bike as low as 30 degrees F (with the drill" though) repeatedly. We'll see how it fares this winter.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
My 950 super enduro has been sitting for about 6 months. I left it charged. I thought these shorai batteries were supposed to last a year without charging?

I tried charging it and my charger will say its done after about and hour but there is not enough power to even turn the dash lights on and the headlight just barley turns on.

Is my battery done for good?
Problem is most of the battery companies have misled everybody. They offer the balance chargers as an option, but in reality they are required. Trickle chargers like the "battery tender" cannot bring a LiFePO4 battery back to life due to a "parasitic drain" as accurately described in posts above. ... because they cannot overcome an out of balance cell. These batteries were developed and primarily used by RC model enthusiasts none of which have engine stators / regulator rectifiers to charge the batteries. So they ALL use balance chargers. They also use cheap balance voltage checkers to test cell banks for uniform voltage. Because.... unless you have a perfect motorcycle charging system (which, for example most KTM 450 or under do not) you are basically undercharging these batteries. When that happens, ...much of the time one or two cells become undercharged and cannot recover when left for long periods. Hence the 6 month no trickle charger yet dead battery situation. The dead cells stay dead. The healthy cells take more voltage tricking you into thinking your battery will work. "It reads 13.5 volts and it won't start my bike....!" Heard it all.

So possible it was a parasitic drain for you. More than likely it was simply not balanced and one cell faded.

So the comment that LiFEPO4 batteries are not "ready for primetime" is pretty true. WE insist that balance chargers be used and sell cheap testers to prevent this from happening. But thats really just a band-aid.

Just about every computer, cellphone, iPad etc is using some kind of Lithium battery and they all have a circuit board that provides battery management/over/undercharge protection. So look to for next generation Lithium Iron Phosphate battery makers to build them into their batteries. Until they do, expect variable results.

Such is the case for new tech.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Problem is.......Such is the case for new tech.
Thanks for that!!! That is the most direct, concise info about the LiFEPO4 battey I have read to date.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,503
When storing the 950 for weeks and weeks.....REMOVE THE CLOCK FUSE

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote