Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
Of course not. Did you miss the part where I said that I always stop and talk/apologize to the driver AND WAIT FOR HIS/HER "OK" before leaving the scene?
AFTER it happened, good, apologies are, or at least should be, the norm. Shit happens, everything's fine if everyone's happy with the outcome. What kind of choice do you have after the incident anyway? It's too late so you better apologize.

But it doesn't turn it into a good move in the first place.

Your bike is parked in your local Wal-mart parking lot, a guy passing by think it's a cool and nice bike, decides to put his ass on it just to see "how it feels". Bad balance, sloppy ground, oil patch, whatever...he drops the bike. Oh don't worry, very gently, no damage. You saw everything from a distance but you came too late...The guy appologizes, deeply. End of story? Remember, no damage to your bike. Good move? Let me guess...

SgtDuster screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 03:26 PM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
If the other vehicle is stationary and you hit it accidentally while trying to ride past it,
your riding skills are lacking and it's probably not a good idea to even be trying to
lane split. You might not even belong on a motorcycle on a public road, period.

Spatial awareness is one of the things that keeps you alive riding on the street.
Judgement is another of those things that keeps you alive. It appears you
need to work on both of those.

Like Clint said in one of those Dirty Harry movies : "A man's gotta know his limitations"

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 02:59 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
he drops the bike
Well, I think that dropping a bike is just a little more extreme than barely touching a mirror.

But regardless, if I find myself in your hypothetical scenario, I'd verify that my bike has no real damage and look in the eyes of the perpetrator to see if he is really regretful and apologetic, and if both are true then we're done here, man. It's only a machine, no harm done.

But if there's damage, of course I'd demand full refund. And that's exactly what I do when I'm in the opposite role (let me say it for the third time, maybe this time it'll sink in): I stop, talk to the "victim" of my actions and await for his/her decision. If he says "pay for this tiny scratch", I'll respond with "let me get my checkbook."

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
Well, I think that dropping a bike is just a little more extreme than barely touching a mirror.
"

Again, it's your definition of "barely." The car driver may not see it that way.

If you clip my mirror and say "I barely touched it" I'm going to assume you are an asshole and you are trying to deny responsibility for your fuck up.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
mamm
< advertise here! >

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
You might not even belong on a motorcycle on a public road, period.
Nobody is immune to a brain fart. Even Valentino and Casey sometimes do stupid things on a motorbike.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
mamm
< advertise here! >

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
If you clip my mirror and say "I barely touched it" I'm going to assume you are an asshole and you are trying to deny responsibility for your fuck up.
Shit, it didn't sink in.

Again, I don't say that. I say "I'm sorry, is there anything I can do?"

Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
mamm
< advertise here! >

Anyway, thanks everybody for the chat. I'm taking my GS and going home now, filtering at most of the lights (when is safe). I promise all of you that I'll try my best to not clip any mirrors...

Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
If the other vehicle is stationary and you hit it accidentally while trying to ride past it,
your riding skills are lacking and it's probably not a good idea to even be trying to
lane split. You might not even belong on a motorcycle on a public road, period.

Spatial awareness is one of the things that keeps you alive riding on the street.
Judgement is another of those things that keeps you alive. It appears you
need to work on both of those.

Like Clint said in one of those Dirty Harry movies : "A man's gotta know his limitations"

thanks for the advice
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,037
Don't do it. If you do it, indicate that you are going to pull over and exchange info.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #25
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 468
Such Emotion

Calm Down Boys. Having lived in parts of the world where "Filtering" or "Lane Splitting" as we say on this side of the Atlantic was the norm. I am very much missing the legal blind eye to LS. I think it should be legal everywhere in the USA, just as it is accepted almost universally in the free and sometimes otherwise world. I don't mean to start a debate on the legal or rationality of LS, and I won't engage the trolls if they start...

That said, I have touched a car or two in my travels down the white line. The most memorable was a morning in Stuttgart, Germany in late October of 2010. I was slinking past a looonnnggggggg line of cars along the white line when I attempted to slide past a new-ish BMW sedan to get to the front. The man driving was getting a royal ass chewing from the woman in the passenger seat, I don't know what he did, but my hard case did impact lightly on the left rear corner of his bumper. I stopped, looked over my shoulder and raised my face shield as I made eye contact with the driver. He shrugged and waved me on with an "It's OK" gesture, all the while the woman never stopped yelling at him.

There is no doubt in my mind that a different driver would have had a full inspection and exchange of information, of which I would of course been responsable for.

Lane Splitting is a good idea so long as the Motorcycle Rider understands that in an altercation, they are at fault. Only in America have I experienced the jealous cage driver. I mean they (Cage drivers) are not jelous when it's raining, or cold, or brutal hot. They are only pissed off when they are stuck in the A/C with XM radio for a few minutes and God Forbid I sneak by them, sweating bullets with a slipping clutch in 100 degree heat.

I got off topic and I apologize...if you touch anothers veheicle, you need their OK to move on, other than that, don't be such a Player Hater.

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,879
How can you determine no damage unless you stop and look? Not uncommon for a mirror to cost over $500. Agree with the other poster, it's a hit and run.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
AUSROB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
This is a motorbike forum,and honestly if you are not using those mirrors to look for motorbikes
proceeding up the middle and moving over to give them more room then they deserve to smashed off.

AUSROB screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 05:04 PM Reason: spielling
AUSROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,463
Pissed When johnny saw the angry mob he knew he had worn out his welcome

How's this thread going?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
All I know is if you clip any part of any of my vehicles while splitting, I will be fucking pissed, even if you "think" there is "no damage." Won't be able to catch you, but you bet your ass I'm taking your plate number and reporting you as a hit and run.

Short story -- don't clip people's vehicles. If you can't fit, don't split.
This!

I sat on the 405 for almost 2 hours yesterday (to go 10 miles) and got to enjoy endless motorcycles floundering between the lanes - man, there are some really bad riders out there. I'd say about 25% were doing it right and the other 75% were a wreck or a fight just waiting to happen.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #30
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,261
Filtering / splitting is not legal here ... that aside, back when I had had less practise at it I clipped a passenger side mirror while moving past a stationary 4WD ... my bad. There was no damage to their mirror but the clipping made mine move a bit.

As I waved "sorry" to the driver I noticed they seemed excessively irate for the level of offense. A bit road ragey actually. I thought WTF !!! and racked off out of there as soon as possible.

ok ... it was my bad ... I probably should have stopped ... but a/ there was not even a mark on his mirror and b/ I didn't like his tone so I decided that discretion was the better part of valour. Besides there was nowhere to pull over safely, the light changed to green and anyway ... I was sure that humungous 4WD with all the farkles was destined for off road use so he better get over worrying about the odd scratch or three. Heck, I am sure he bought so his mates thought he was tough and all.
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote