Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
BalefireX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
R75/5 exhaust favors one side? Stalling at stops?

Recently got my bike back from service and I've noticed something strange.
When I start it, I can feel exhaust coming out of both sides, but I only *see* exhaust on one side (always the same side).
Any reason why it might be doing this?

In a possibly unrelated issue, it has a tendency to stall out at a stop unless I give it a very little bit of throttle to keep it going, especially when cold. Carb balancing issue? The bike seems to run well at speed.
BalefireX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
ritetwist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
My theory:with bike parked on sidestand after a run condensation gathers to the low side and burns off on startup.
(left side).
Could be tuned out with carb adjustments,I would lean toward letting the bike warm up a bit more on start-up.
Just my thoughts.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,798
Airhead motorcycles mostly need a little throttle or a little enrichner when cold. It's almost Winter now. you will find that you might leave the enrichners half way on a little longer and be twisting the throttle a little longer, till engine warms up. This is normal.

You see the exhaust coming out of the left pipe because you are parking on the side stand. A little of this is considered tolerable but you could cut way down on the smoke, if it's a heavy smoker, by using the center stand. There is also another technique that works for those that have to use the side stand and that is to, when parking the bike, turn off the ignition, lean bike to right side for 20 or 30 seconds. Doing this with the engine off allows most of the engine oil to get back into the sump instead of pooling in the left cylinder and seeping past the piston rings. Try it, it works.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
BalefireX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks guys. It's not a lot of smoke, only visible if I look closely. I'm parking it on the center stand now, and I'll just give it a bit more throttle early on.

It's okay to leave the enrichner (i assume this is the choke lever) halfway? The /5 owner's manual suggests that for the R75/5 the choke should only be used completely on or completely off, although I'm not sure why.
BalefireX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,798
I was unaware of that advice. I don't know why. The enrichners do have internal orifices of a graduating size and they would seem to be intended to be used in varying degrees just because that is how they are made. But it may work just fine for you the way the book says. Every rider and every bike is different.

If the smoke is not from the parking on the side stand issue then you may be having more serious problems and be needing more expensive repairs soon. Would be good to perform a leak down test or if not available then at least a compression test.

It is not a choke lever. The carbs do not have chokes. They have enrichners. It is the enrichner lever. But if you really have to say choke we will know what you are talking about. Just pay no attention to me as I will correct you every time I see it in print. Well maybe not every time. I will get tired of ranting and raving and all the screaming makes me horse too. But don't pay any attention. I'll be OK. Go ahead say choke. I dare you.

really I'm just kidding, really.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,406
Could be the muffler bearing or just the age of the top end.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalefireX View Post
Recently got my bike back from service and I've noticed something strange.
When I start it, I can feel exhaust coming out of both sides, but I only *see* exhaust on one side (always the same side).
Any reason why it might be doing this?

In a possibly unrelated issue, it has a tendency to stall out at a stop unless I give it a very little bit of throttle to keep it going, especially when cold. Carb balancing issue? The bike seems to run well at speed.
You could be running too rich
My bike will shut off at idle if my enricheners would be left on by mystale.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalefireX View Post
Does the stalling issue happen regularly when its fully warmed up? Only when its cold? Only when its warm? All the time?

Stumbling/stalling is usually idle too low or a little to rich on the idle circuit. If it happens when its fully warmed up, its usually because the carbs heat up a bit (they are right behind the cylinders). When they heat up, it means more vapors and a slightly richer mix.

A half turn IN should lean out the idle mix a bit if its running to rich. It seems that the enrichener circuit on the 64/32 carbs isn't completely gas-tight, so I do think that some escapes regularly into the mix. Just my theory.