Clark . Im IN no matter where I live.
BARANSKY76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #32
shrineclown OP
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
I'm an off-road enthusiast from Maine who runs an Moto Adventure company out of Peru, South America looking to share what we do. Is this the event for that kind of thing?

Toby
I would be willing to allow you the opportunity to do your dog and pony show and would be interested in seeing it myself. But I cannot guarantee many would participate in the viewing. They tend to have other things on their mind when they get to camp. Last time we tried something similar, I'd say about 10-12 folks took advantage of it. This is a low key deal and nobody is required to do anything they don't want to do. We like it that way. So, you would get those interested in what you are talking about and that is it. If folks chime in and say, "hey I'd like to hear that" and enough do so to make it worth your while. It is up to you at that point.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Sorry, shouldn't have mentioned the tour company. It IS what I do to be able to stay in Peru. But what I was willing to share was about the rides we do among friends in South America.

About every 3 years (since 1998) we do an EPIC (at least 30 day) ride together. Grant Johnson asked me to share at the HU rally in NC 2 years ago about taking my 16 yr old son on his 'coming of age' trip in 2007 on dirt bikes for 10,000 km around South America. I think they enjoyed it by the enthusiastic response. In 2010 my 21-yr old daughter joined us on a 36-day ride all over Andes and Amazon of Peru. THAT'S what I want to promote! The relationships formed on the trail are the most important thing!

This January a group of us are chasing the Dakar 2013 down the coast of Peru, so that trip will be fresh for the telling this coming September. And my residence in Maine is not too far away....

Our next friends epic trip will be a 66-day across 4 South American countries, catching a World Cup Soccer game in Brazil, riding to the "Lost World" plateau on the border of Bolivia/Brazil (the place that spawned the idea of 'Jurassic Park') and to Iguazu Falls in Argentina/Brazil just mention a few.

Or I could do a free (short) seminar for the ADVer dreaming about doing their own version of the famed Alaska to Tierra del Fuego run. I know there is beer to be drunk, but maybe some 'dream catching' in the middle of it all would be good too!

Cheers! Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #34
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,278
Hey Clark,
I'm in for '13, this ankle should be healed up by then!

Meat, Thursday, riding up.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #35
shrineclown OP
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Hey Clark,
I'm in for '13, this ankle should be healed up by then!

Meat, Thursday, riding up.
How is it going? Getting around ok?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #36
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
How is it going? Getting around ok?
Yea, the ribs are healing well, clavicle is healing, the ankle is in a cast and will undoubtedly require lots of therapy. I got out of the rehab facility Wednesday, it is nice to be home! Looking forward to the 2013 riding season!

Thanks for asking, hope you are and remain well. Everyone seemed to enjoy the '12 Cromag, and i know your efforts had a lot to do with it.

George
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #37
shrineclown OP
(AFKA Prince)

Good to hear, wish you well in getting back to 100%.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #38
shrineclown OP
(AFKA Prince)

Still looking

For feedback on the leanto idea and proposed bidding rules. I will give it a few more days, but if I do not hear some more yeah or nay on it, it is going to stay as a FCFS policy. PM me if you are uncomfortable with commenting publicly. It will go no further than to give me an idea if this is popular or not.

I do not want people to be mad that the procedure changed and not let me know that in advance. That is why this has been floated out there early. If you think it is a good idea as a fundraiser for the charity, I want to know that too.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #39
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
I'm in...Thursday, meat, BO

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #40
vonotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I'm in Friday, meat, camp, ride in.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #41
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,692
I think its a good idea, but I don't stay in the lean-tos....
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #42
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,714
Thursday, bike only*, meat.

*subject to change, I might be tempted to bring my Husky in the pickup. You never know?

Mr. Ray #1, missed you this year.
Beez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #43
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post

*subject to change, I might be tempted to bring my Husky in the pickup. You never know?
I didn't regret bringing the small bike this year...
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #44
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post

Mr. Ray #1, missed you this year.
do that. Bryant Rd and Randolph Gap are not-quite GS friendly but good new places to go, was really glad I brought the DR this year (Well, I wouldn't ride them on MY gs but might try 'em on YOUR gs ).

You can ride all day without getting more than 15 miles from the park

Plus a pickup truck is a very good way to carry a beer cooler
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #45
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
Sorry, shouldn't have mentioned the tour company. It IS what I do to be able to stay in Peru. But what I was willing to share was about the rides we do among friends in South America.

About every 3 years (since 1998) we do an EPIC (at least 30 day) ride together. Grant Johnson asked me to share at the HU rally in NC 2 years ago about taking my 16 yr old son on his 'coming of age' trip in 2007 on dirt bikes for 10,000 km around South America. I think they enjoyed it by the enthusiastic response. In 2010 my 21-yr old daughter joined us on a 36-day ride all over Andes and Amazon of Peru. THAT'S what I want to promote! The relationships formed on the trail are the most important thing!

This January a group of us are chasing the Dakar 2013 down the coast of Peru, so that trip will be fresh for the telling this coming September. And my residence in Maine is not too far away....

Our next friends epic trip will be a 66-day across 4 South American countries, catching a World Cup Soccer game in Brazil, riding to the "Lost World" plateau on the border of Bolivia/Brazil (the place that spawned the idea of 'Jurassic Park') and to Iguazu Falls in Argentina/Brazil just mention a few.

Or I could do a free (short) seminar for the ADVer dreaming about doing their own version of the famed Alaska to Tierra del Fuego run. I know there is beer to be drunk, but maybe some 'dream catching' in the middle of it all would be good too!

Cheers! Toby
ive been to HU meet before and any presentation they've had have been very interesting. i would attend for sure
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote