User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
dsauer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Dealer Rant (Arizona Superbikes)

My husband has been craving a 2010-2012 Ducati Multistrada for a while now. We finally found what looked like a hot smokin' deal at Arizona Superbikes in Phoenix, it was a 2010, red, 4650 miles, and according to Justin, the store manager, it was "pristine". Both my husband and I talked to sales people there, and we were both assured that this bike was indeed in top condition and fully ready for the ride from Phoenix back to Golden, CO, where we live.

I flew down to get the bike because Dean had to work, and when I got there I found a bike with very probably the original tires, which were, imo, not going to make it the 850 or so miles home. The bike was really dirty, caked on oil and dirt on the chain, the shift linkage and undercarriage. There were a few wear marks in the paint, which can happen, but that's not "pristine" in my book. There were no clamps on the side cases, so I asked about those, the sales guy gave me a blank look and said he didn't know what I was talking about and I could inquire about that at my local dealership when I got home. WTHell??? He is a Ducati dealer! I had a few questions about stuff on the bike, (we usually ride BMWs so this is kind of uncharted waters for us) my questions were met with round-about answers and an insinuation that they were dumb to begin with. I ended up telling them to can the whole deal, at which point the manager Justin said, well, you know, this is a used bike, what did you expect. Swell. Caught a flight back home, very disappointed that 1) I didn't get the bike and 2) I didn't get to ride said bike home from Phoenix.

We've bought a lot bikes out of state and they have always been exactly as stated or better. Ducati is a very fine motorcycle, high dollar and awesome, it's not like this is a little old piece of crap bike you're talking about. I was sorely disappointed by Arizona Superbikes. Rude and nasty and flat out misrepresentation. Avoid avoid avoid.

Thanks, I feel better now.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 395
Wow, that super sucks! I just bought a KTM 950 in California and rode it home to Golden. Bought from an inmate here. Condition of the bike was exactly as seller stated. It was a relief. I did freeze my arse off though. Had to zip tie those disposable hand warmers to the grips.

Good luck with your guys quest.

See you on the road.

S~
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,482
I'm glad you walked.

Increasingly, it seems the new paradigm in customer relations is "You'll eat shit & like it".

Of course this is only your viewpoint presented here, but my sense is that you weren't a local and therefore didn't represent an ongoing source of revenue for them.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
dsauer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
I'm glad you walked.

Increasingly, it seems the new paradigm in customer relations is "You'll eat shit & like it".

Of course this is only your viewpoint presented here, but my sense is that you weren't a local and therefore didn't represent an ongoing source of revenue for them.
I went in SO STOKED to ride this bike home, so I was actually willing to overlook some stuff. I asked about the PO, as I'm looking at scuff marks on the skid plate, and was told he was an 80 year old man who was afraid of the bike. I hope i ride like that when I'm 80! Lots of little deceptions added up to me high tailing it out of there. I know what you mean about the eat shit and like it - you'd think they'd rather be known for honesty and integrity. ??? I guess I'm old fashioned that way.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
I can't believe that dealer did that to you. At least I learned a lesson from this. I will insist on high quality close up photos of the motorcycle ahead of time. In this era with internet and digital imaging there's no excuse for them not to provide this, if asked. If all they can show is dark fuzzy phone pictures I simply won't proceed any further.
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Dracothius
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
I get treated like that at every Ducati dealer I go to. At least every dealer that sells only Ducati. Now I'm not saying it doesn't happen at other dealers, cause it sure as hell does, but I have learned to expect it from Ducati dealers. Because of this I tend not to go to Ducati only dealers. The bikes are awesome but, you have to get past initiation I guess. Oddly enough, Yamaha only dealers seem to be almost as bad. Maybe it's just Florida. Maybe it's just me. All I know is that is not the way to sell me on your bikes or service.
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Well at last you had the good sense to walk away. How much was the deal for?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,162
Really glad you walked on that deal! I admire you for that, having spent the money on the flight and all, super good job on you!

Some salesmen, just don't get it.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
dsauer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Price was very good, $13800 out the door. A new set of PR3s would have been another ~$550, so still not a bad deal at 14350. Not being familiar with ducs I wasn't sure how damaging 4650 miles of zero maintenance would be. So the search continues!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
FacePalm
D'oh!!!

Oddometer: 25
Im glad you walked & outed them for how you were treated.
You'll find your bike
FacePalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Pitiful. Walking was the right thing to do.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,312
Arizona Superbikes...yeah, I'm not surprised.

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I saw that same bike on Craigslist and was also immediately attracted by the price and low miles. Glad I know now.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Bullsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
PM sent - I am getting ready to list an '12 for less than that, and with 500 miles it actually is mint...
Bullsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Hope it works out for both of you. I have never had a bad deal from an inmate.