Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Dubl-A OP
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
Tiger 800XC Replacement air filter options

Hey guys/gals,

Anyone have any experience with MWR air filters? I'm hesitant to purchase a K&N being the documented dust filtration is less than ideal. What are you guys running on your Tiger??

$125.00

Here's their site
http://store.proitalia.com/mwr-trium...-p-161022.html
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,670
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Dubl-A OP
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Yea, almost 100 views no response. I'm seeing a trend with my threads.

Are you still running the stock filter? Have you looked what it looks like so far? Mine is in bad shape @ 3k/ 2 months.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Stay with stock and get a pre-filter. Thats what I am doing. With the pre-filter you should be able to keep the stock filter clean for a minimum of twice the time it would normaly need changing.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
I think the stock filter has acceptable performance but don't like that it can't be cleaned and is a pain to get to. Uni in Australia has a pre-filter that several guys did a group-buy on and I missed it. This is my home-brew solution:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=14515
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Dubl-A OP
SuckerDucker

Pre-filter may be the way to go, easier to get to I guess

What are you guys with 10k+miles /Heavy dirt riding mi doing with your filter, OEM everytime? Anyone experiencing dirty intake manifold area with K&N filters??
Old 10-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Dubl-A OP
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I think the stock filter has acceptable performance but don't like that it can't be cleaned and is a pain to get to. Uni in Australia has a pre-filter that several guys did a group-buy on and I missed it. This is my home-brew solution:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=14515

Slick setup!

One question though. I've seen on the forums the battery area get wet/muddy/etc... do you think the side holes expose a possible water path??
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Dubl-A OP
SuckerDucker

Anyone with a K&N, can you please post up a picture of the clean side of the intake after you remove your dirty filter for cleaning??

I'm going to pull the trigger this week on a reusable or paper filter but I've had mediocre results running K&N filters on dirt bikes with the dust and all.

Any help is greatly appreciated all!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 105
K&N = good for track & good for power.
BAD for engine wear in dusty environments.
Stick with OEM IMHO
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Dubl-A OP
SuckerDucker

yea I figured.

Anyone with the UNI Pre-filter had a chance to snap a pic of what the OEM filter looked like at maintenance time?? Please post up how long/miles you went
Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
I've tried K&N - on Uly wasnt too bad, but air box was up high where gas tank is found on "normal" bikes. Down lower, as found on tiggers, not so good. Found a lot of fine dust in TB's. I use stock filter with uni-prefilter. Some (or many) may argue against this practice - but on my Girlie, I'd GENTLY knock out dust - then submerge filter in bucket of warm water with a few oz of simple green, soak for 5 mins, then swish around, rinse & let air dry completely. Just like small painting jobs, can accelerate drying time with warm (not hot!), extinguished oven. (provided wife is at work - but she has however, inquired: "Hey - How come the chicken smells like cleaning fluid?"... "I dunno - maybe they dipped 'em in disinfectant at the chicken factory?") Anyway - don't recommend any oiled foam filter as final / only source of filtration.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Dubl-A OP
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
I've tried K&N - on Uly wasnt too bad, but air box was up high where gas tank is found on "normal" bikes. Down lower, as found on tiggers, not so good. Found a lot of fine dust in TB's. I use stock filter with uni-prefilter. Some (or many) may argue against this practice - but on my Girlie, I'd GENTLY knock out dust - then submerge filter in bucket of warm water with a few oz of simple green, soak for 5 mins, then swish around, rinse & let air dry completely. Just like small painting jobs, can accelerate drying time with warm (not hot!), extinguished oven. (provided wife is at work - but she has however, inquired: "Hey - How come the chicken smells like cleaning fluid?"... "I dunno - maybe they dipped 'em in disinfectant at the chicken factory?") Anyway - don't recommend any oiled foam filter as final / only source of filtration.
Good info JP, thanks for the insight! I figured this would be the case and I might as well do the pre-filter.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
K&N filters are not "oiled foam" they are a cotton gauze impregnated with oil. Different media. Oiled foam filters are excellent filtration media and work well if properly cared for and maintained. The K&N method is more controversial.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Dubl-A OP
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
K&N filters are not "oiled foam" they are a cotton gauze impregnated with oil. Different media. Oiled foam filters are excellent filtration media and work well if properly cared for and maintained. The K&N method is more controversial.
I did not know that, thanks for the info Kawi!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
I've used oiled "media' (be it foam or fabric) filters on many machines as primary filtration but never as "final" or ONLY filter in extremely dusty conditions. This includes farm machinery, with thousands of hours on the engines. All ya have to do is compare the intake areas using only oiled media filters vs paper - it really shows the difference. A larger % of the really fine stuff gets though. The best set up is to use both. Most my dirt riding aint dusty in this part of the world - only when I head south or east does xtra filtration become necessary.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote