ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Shane OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3
Anyone else trying to decide between the Super Tenere and Tiger 800XC?

My ride for the past 5 years has been an ultra-reliable 2005 Wee Strom, but both the Super Tenere AND the Tiger 800 XC are tempting me to strongly consider a new bike. I realize these two bikes have some significant differences, but I really think either would fit the bill for my type of riding (long hauls on the pavement with sudden and uncontrollable bouts of dirt road curiosity).

What do you see as the strengths/weaknesses of these two bikes when comparing them directly? Any of you far more experienced ADV riders (and that means pretty much everyone reading this!) want to share a bit of your wisdom with me?

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents!

(Come Back) Shane
Longtime Amateur ADV Rider in Paradise
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
siyeh
Lawn Nazi
 
siyeh's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Evansville, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,482
test ride both of them

see which one speaks to you

biggest dif to me is shaft vs chain

and yes I am torn between the two,,,,
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
S_Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Baker City
Oddometer: 164
I was torn too, the triumph's lighter weight is a big deal for me but in the end I picked the ST.

I think anywhere I would take the tiger I can take the ST, neither are dirt bikes and their limitations have to be accepted.

Price, only $200 difference, the Yamaha has adjustable suspension, tubeless tires, traction control, and has been on the road for a year. Their owners seem to love them, while the tiger is still an unknown. One big item for me is that Yamaha seems to have a dealer in almost every town, Triumph's are few and far between.

Can't wait for May, I hope I made the right choice.
S_Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Besides shaft vs. chain you are also looking at one LARGE bike vs a medium to small bike. The Tiger 800 is closer to your Wee Strom in both weight and size ... actually more compact than your Wee.

Yamaha admit a 575 lbs. wet weight on the Tenere' ... my guess is the true weight will be 625 lbs. fully fueled and ready to ride.

The Tiger is claimed to weigh about 465 lbs. wet ... but it too will likely be more. Probably 480 lbs. wet or very close to that. For reference, your Wee Strom is about 490 lbs. wet.

So ... around 140 lbs. difference? In any sort of off road riding this will be a factor. Everyone says the Tenere' rides nice and light ... but trust me, picking it up or wrestling it through mud, sand or deep gravel will not be easy. I rode my V-Strom 1000 in such conditions ... not easy .... and its only 520 lbs. wet. I have 25 years of dirt riding experience.

As suggested ... ride both and decide. Much has to do with the character of the motors. I really enjoy the triple motors. I had a Yamaha TDM 850 which is very similar to the Tenere' lump. Never liked the character of it, but it never missed a beat. 100% reliable with 26K mile service interval.
But the sound and feel were uninspiring ... boring actually, IMHO.

Suzuki's Strom motors were both better than the TDM motors for me.

Neither bike is here yet .... and won't be for a while. I'd be patient and enjoy your Wee until the real reports start coming in and you can ride both bikes. Good Shopping!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante
 
Gustavo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sometimes in Hillsburrito
Oddometer: 2,267
No.





Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
Murf2
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 795
Adv Grifter, Does the ST hold twice as much fuel as the Tiger?

Murf2
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
PMC
riding rider
 
PMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Cities MN
Oddometer: 795
I'm headed to the I M S this weekend and hope to throw a leg over both of those bikes. I'm not in the market for new wheels but both of these look very interesting. I'd need to ride both (not an option in this case) and if my main goal was to cover big ground on paved roads with less than 10% on gravel, I'd pick the one that felt best on the road.

The other big factor for me is I don't have a Triumph dealer close to me that I'd do business with. It'd be a 70 mile drive at a minimum and I don't know much about them. Maybe not a big deal but if I need to have recalls done that could turn into an all day deal.

I've got another 30-40k to put on my Vstrom 1k before I start thinking about a replacement for it
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #8
stromsavard
Sergio
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Lorrainville, Québec Canada
Oddometer: 143
I was considering the same 2 bikes!! It's great someone ask because my English is not very good!! But thanks for the answer!!! I love the Super10 but Triumph with the 3 cyl....hummmm!!
__________________
Greenpeace member
stromsavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative
 
llamapacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Doyline, Louisiana
Oddometer: 1,168
No. 2up and shaft drive, done.
__________________
14 KTM 1190 Adventure
14 500xc-w
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?
 
ag_streak's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: At the pointy ends of the bell curve (33702)
Oddometer: 3,141
I have ridden neither, so I will express my firm opinion, which you should follow blindly!

First, take Siyeh's advice. Ride 'em both. Both are on the top of many riders' wish lists!

Second, if your preferences lean towards two-up road riding, S10, no doubt. If you want some semblance of off-road ability and value the benefits of lighter weight and agility, solo, the Triumph seems to be a better choice.

Of course, there are other bikes that do either road comfort/touring or off-road better, but we're comparing these two, so...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
My ride for the past 5 years has been an ultra-reliable 2005 Wee Strom, but both the Super Tenere AND the Tiger 800 XC are tempting me to strongly consider a new bike. I realize these two bikes have some significant differences, but I really think either would fit the bill for my type of riding (long hauls on the pavement with sudden and uncontrollable bouts of dirt road curiosity).

What do you see as the strengths/weaknesses of these two bikes when comparing them directly? Any of you far more experienced ADV riders (and that means pretty much everyone reading this!) want to share a bit of your wisdom with me?

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents!

(Come Back) Shane
Longtime Amateur ADV Rider in Paradise
__________________
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. – J. Krishnamurthy
BC, Canada Ride Report - Nova Scotia, Canada Ride Report

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pm9654's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Oddometer: 171
I like both models, and in the U.S., there is a bigger price difference. I guess I'd have to sit on both, see how they feel with my feet down. I guess the Tenere would make more sense to me because my riding would be mostly street, with only an occasional gravel road thrown in. I imagine it would be better on the freeways. But if it feels too big, I'd head for the Triumph.
__________________
BATMAN
pm9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
MANXMAN
Overlander
 
MANXMAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: BRITISH Columbia
Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Adv Grifter, Does the ST hold twice as much fuel as the Tiger?

Murf2
The ST holds 4 liters more fuel, so only about 7 lbs of Adv Grifter's estimate of 140 lbs difference is fuel weight.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,546
Here's something for you to consider... Aside from the obvious differences between the S10 and the Triumph, there's this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=RkrvJZmJZbI&annotation_id=annotation_615681
At 1:35 - "nuclear-powered dirt bike" "I felt like I was riding a big single"

And then there's this Greek lunatic. Don't know if you can work out what he's saying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2OEGZYA_nI&feature=player_embedded
At 9:00 - "I have one complaint from the engine. The engine is good enough, fast enough, but is working as a street bike. I feel very uncomfortable if I riding a dirty bike, and I feel down of my legs, a street bike."


So depends what kind of engine feel turns you on, and what's more suited to the type of riding you anticipate - high-revving multi, or torquey twin?

It's the S10 for me - I think it will make for a more relaxed ride, and in dirt will haul itself through sand and mud - with the help of traction control - more easily than the Tiger, even allowing for the Tiger's lighter weight. I've seen enough videos of the S10 in dirt to know that it will do what I need it to do there, but will make a great long-haul tarmac tourer as well.

Trevor

__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Palomar Mountain
Oddometer: 157
Keep your Wee.
It offers good bang for the buck like the Yamaha, but it is light like the Triumph.
coast range rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
ibeme1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Oddometer: 72
Weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Besides shaft vs. chain you are also looking at one LARGE bike vs a medium to small bike. The Tiger 800 is closer to your Wee Strom in both weight and size ... actually more compact than your Wee.

Yamaha admit a 575 lbs. wet weight on the Tenere' ... my guess is the true weight will be 625 lbs. fully fueled and ready to ride.

The Tiger is claimed to weigh about 465 lbs. wet ... but it too will likely be more. Probably 480 lbs. wet or very close to that. For reference, your Wee Strom is about 490 lbs. wet.

So ... around 140 lbs. difference? In any sort of off road riding this will be a factor. Everyone says the Tenere' rides nice and light ... but trust me, picking it up or wrestling it through mud, sand or deep gravel will not be easy. I rode my V-Strom 1000 in such conditions ... not easy .... and its only 520 lbs. wet. I have 25 years of dirt riding experience.

As suggested ... ride both and decide. Much has to do with the character of the motors. I really enjoy the triple motors. I had a Yamaha TDM 850 which is very similar to the Tenere' lump. Never liked the character of it, but it never missed a beat. 100% reliable with 26K mile service interval.
But the sound and feel were uninspiring ... boring actually, IMHO.

Suzuki's Strom motors were both better than the TDM motors for me.

Neither bike is here yet .... and won't be for a while. I'd be patient and enjoy your Wee until the real reports start coming in and you can ride both bikes. Good Shopping!
Please take no offense to this-I promise I am not being arumentative at all. It seems like your weight estimate is high...again please take no offense because no offense is intended.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2381
ibeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014