Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #16
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
When I was in Fairbanks at the U I saw all sorts of bikes go up the haul road - a Vespa scooter with two women in their 70s did it - R1 Yamaha - Rebel 250 - Goldwings - Harleys - RTs all did it. The fastest ride down the haul road from Deadhorse to Fairbanks that I'm aware of (about 6 hours) was done on a Yamaha FJR running Metzler 880 tires in the rain. No reason you cannot do it. Most important thing to get is to get your head right. Ride within your abilities and know when to go slow or even take a break. Have you checked to see if they make TKC80s for your bike? If not then there are other good dirt tires that may come in a size that will fit. For example, Heidenau, Kenda and Shinko. A place like Alaska Leather can help you find a tire that will work. Good luck!
Yes they make the tkc80 for my bike and ak leather also have them.. About $400 a set
nuttynu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #17
morethanone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Alaska contact

Nutty,
Will not be taking my 2012 C14 up the haul road. Planning on buying a bike in Alaska just to make that leg of the trip instead of renting one. Think I could buy (and sell upon leaving) a bike just for the haul road for less than renting one from the established shops.
morethanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanone View Post
Nutty,
Will not be taking my 2012 C14 up the haul road. Planning on buying a bike in Alaska just to make that leg of the trip instead of renting one. Think I could buy (and sell upon leaving) a bike just for the haul road for less than renting one from the established shops.
What kind of bike are u planning to get ? U might be able to buy and sell in that te frame. Depends . How long you going to be staying up here ? And I know most place rent for like $1500 for 7 days . Something like that
Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
morethanone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
deadhorse 2013

Renting is not a viable option due to overwhelming liability when used off road. looking for something less than $3000 that needs no repairs except tires and brakes and able to take on the haul road. think I can probably do more than $3000 in damage to my new C14 on that haul road. so I prefer to park it and use something more disposable. I am willing to buy a bike for $3000 and sell it for $1000 two weeks after and consider myself ahead of the game. will start looking in the bike for sale ads to see what's in fairbanks.
morethanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Sounds good Morethanone.

For all whom been up to dead horse . Beside staying in rooms .. What are th option of tent camping ????
Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
Sounds good Morethanone.

For all whom been up to dead horse . Beside staying in rooms .. What are th option of tent camping ????
Zero.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #22
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I have spoken to someone who camped a few kms outside DH. Personally I would not do it, too cold and the chance of polar bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
morethanone you have mail. Ad is post 706 in the sticky for pic of the bike
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

It can't be tht cold camping out in dead horses in July ...? I'll. bring my gun in case of bears or wildlife ...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Check with the guys at MotoQuest, they may have an older style KLR for sale that you could buy, beat up, and choose what to do from there. Shoot maybe even a new style?
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
It can't be tht cold camping out in dead horses in July ...? I'll. bring my gun in case of bears or wildlife ...
As Kevin stated, you can't camp in Deadhorse...the cops will run you off because of concerns with polar bears, so unless you plan on shooting the Trooper to secure your camping spot, you'll have to head south. The problem with heading south is there's NOTHING to act as a windbreak, and if the wind kicks up to 40+ mph (which is regularly known to happen) yes it can be that cold in July.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

And here I was thinking that "Zero" would be clear enough for just about everyone..... Guess not.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Zero huh ?!! Man that stinks. Why don't designate an are. Guess I have to book a room that's going to cost $100 just for one night!! Man that's a shyhigh
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #29
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Well you don't have to stay in Deadhorse at all unless you want to. Ride to Deadhorse then head back south to Coldfoot or at least until you find a suitable camping spot. If Alcan Rider ever pops-up on the forum again, then he will be able to give you the precise distance from Deadhorse to the first camping area, along with pictures and the nicknames of the local bears and squirrels. But he seems to be away on some sort of sordid trist with Maggie. Come up for air Jack.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

I heard about 5 miles north of cold foot , there's was a camping place. Will read milepost for info