Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #256
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,202
It's like Cyril's homage to Basil Fawlty...

"Don't mention ze Japs "...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #257
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Seem's he takes it easy...
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #258
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Npo tv...

Tech Inspection Day 00 for rallye Maroc and prolog action for the Baja Maroc competitors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ3Zv...1&feature=plcp

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #259
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
And now the car news, the mighty Iveco finished 5th...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #260
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
And now the car news, the mighty Iveco finished 5th...

Gerard... a chip off the old block...

Those big bricks take a special kind of "mojo" to punt along those stony desert plains and tracks like that...

But just one !!! gully that catches you off guard at those speeds... and the forces involved, mean there is four or five tons of debris spread over three or four hectares of desert...

Scary statistic... only three bikes were quicker than the IVECO today... and the only place where they took time... was that short stage through the low dunes...

Quote:

Quote:

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 12:01 PM
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #261
catas
Orange rider

Oddometer: 326
18 pages!?!?!
January already!?!?
catas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #262
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Alien tactics for SS2...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

DSS will be close to today's ASS, then they go south along (maybe inside) the Rerhis Oued, then the sandy Remlia track to Taouz. From Taouz they will converge to today's exit of the erg and ride in the opposite sense to the sand dunes. At the Erg Chebbi itself they will cross it South to North and exiting the Erg the track looks the same they did today, in the opposite sense. So, part of the track is common to today's...

This is Helder Rorigues's backyard. He knows the area well, but this is true about the other two aliens also. Let's see Helder handles the pressure tomorrow!
Carlos intel on SS2 is spot on.

Tomorrow helder will go out physically 2 minutes in front of Marc (1 min 12 sec behind on the time sheets) with Cyril another 2 minutes behind him (2 min 20 secs off the lead on the score card). Then there is an 11 to 16 minute gap (on corrected time) covering the "best of the rest"; Husky twins Goncalves and Barreda, Pain on the Yamaha and the KTM waterboy Gracias.

The first half of tomorrows 315 km stage is as Carlos reports; on mostly faster open terrain and tracks similar to much of todays running. Navigation* for the alien nation trio should not be a major drama (as in finding their way) but in many places there are many converging and diverging tracks and trails (that criss cross many of the stony plains) where it can be simple to pick up the wrong way, if not 100% on the game.

I would expect Coma and Despres to get up on the back of Helder and shadow him for maybe the first third/maybe half of the stage (at least as far down south to Oued Ziz and across to Taouz...) unless HRC Helder makes a nav boo boo or other mishap... But again as Carlos says; all three have done many races and much testing in this part of Marocco... Probably the biggest hazard in these areas (when travelling at these sort of speeds) is a gutter or gully slightly out of character that catch you off guard.

When they get to CP2 (somewhere near the village of Merzouga) and make the entry to Erg Chebbi is where things could get interesting and tactics come into play.

It would seem from the NPO media releases on tomorrows course, that the organiser has contrived some "special" route to cross the erg. Presumeably consisting of some strategically placed WPM's inside the dune field that include some of the larger dune passages.

Now the Erg Chebbi is a relatively small... in fact tiny area (by Sahara standards)... it is bordered on all sides by hard firm desert, is only about 5 to 6 km broad at its widest point and maybe 20 km's (25 max) north to south. All three of the aliens have spent considerable time there, and it is a place; that if you spent one whole day a day or so prior to the rally "play testing" or riding around/recconnaisance, you can commit much (most) of it to memory.

What all this means for "navigation" (at least as far as the front runners are concerned) tactically, is not so much a case of will they get lost/not be able to find the way... but more along the lines of any slight miscue on taking a CAP heading to make one of the waypoints, can be the difference between a relatively quick passage - or fighting through a steeper saddle of one of the bigger dune crowns. It is here where your can easily lose... or gain four or five minutes, on maybe as many as three or four occassions inside this relatively small erg.

This is where I think the three aliens will pit their "on the fly" sand dune navigation skills - as well as combination of local knowledge and homework, and could be an opportunity for one of them to pull five or ten minutes on the other two... or (as it often happens on Dakar) they all enter together and keep an eye on each other... in which case it plays two minutes advantage to Coma, and four to Despres.

As the video self interview that Goggle Boy did earlier indicates... I think Cyril is sitting in the best position of the ET trio going into tomorrow... he could well come out of the North end of Erg Chebbi (all else being equal) with two minutes on Helder and one minute over Coma (corrected total time) then it's a drag race over the final hundred km's or so back to the ASS.

Barring any mechanical or other misshap*... I can't see any of the others laying a glove on the aliens tomorrow (possible exception being Barreda... if he can jump on Mudboys shirt tail and get a tow through to CP2).

*Yes there are a myriad of things that can "go wrong" in practice with 315 km's of desert to negotioate... but tactically this would be the gameplan I reckon.

Oooooh this is going to be fun... it's almost like January!

Quote:

Quote:

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 01:34 PM
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #263
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Barring any mechanical or other misshap*... I can't see any of the others laying a glove on the aliens tomorrow (possible exception being Barreda... if he can jump on Mudboys shirt tail and get a tow through to CP2).
I have it on good authority that Barreda has plans to take it easy, really using Morocco to prep for Dakar. That said, fresh off a win in Eqypt and eager to show pace against the real competition, as a young guy, can he resist the lure to go fast?

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #264
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I have it on good authority that Barreda has plans to take it easy, really using Morocco to prep for Dakar. That said, fresh off a win in Eqypt and eager to show pace against the real competition, as a young guy, can he resist the lure to go fast?
I think that's a real fair comment/observation doyle.

In rally circles these days, you've really won "nothing" untill you've squared of with Coma and/or Depres and beaten them in a straight up fight... (world titles, pharoahs trophies etc. included) and over the last five or six years, you can count the number of guys that have achieved that on one hand (even allowing for a couple of amputated digits )... So the question is, will Barreda stick to the big picture gameplan and keep a cool hand... or will the honour horns sprout tomorrow, and he go after an alien scalp or two...???

Quote:

Quote:
Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #265
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I don't know, he is a pretty seasoned rider IMO, though we also all know that being in an exciting, high stakes race can easily cause a brain explosion in any rider and they can toss caution to the wind. We saw it in his CP1 today that's for sure. Maybe he had a bit of a scare somewhere and decided in the interests of self preservation to calm down. I couldn't help but think he matured very well on this years Dakar, and he finished strongly, so if he says he will take it easy then I guess that is what he will do.

Doyle I'm curious to know who gave you that snippet of info, surely there cannot be team orders so early in the new Honda camp?

A little earlier someone mentioned Helder's water carrier Johnny was too far back to be of any use, but I recall Helder has always been the solo guys riding out on his own. Am I wrong? Either way sure he is not expecting Johnny to be like Rueben Faria, and I can't believe the team would have instructed Barreda to take it easy...
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #266
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Doyle I'm curious to know who gave you that snippet of info, surely there cannot be team orders so early in the new Honda camp?

A little earlier someone mentioned Helder's water carrier Johnny was too far back to be of any use, but I recall Helder has always been the solo guys riding out on his own. Am I wrong? Either way sure he is not expecting Johnny to be like Rueben Faria, and I can't believe the team would have instructed Barreda to take it easy...
Speaking of Brainfarts...

Barreda is on the Speedbrain Husky Bluebull...

Quote:

Quote:
Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #267
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglewis View Post
Noob question:

How do we see these? Streamed over net?
And this is just pre-season warmup.

Real fun to keep up to.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #268
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Speaking of Brainfarts...

Barreda is on the Speedbrain Husky Bluebull...
I really must get some sleep....

See you all bright and early.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #269
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
Gerard... a chip off the old block...

Those big bricks take a special kind of "mojo" to punt along those stony desert plains and tracks like that... ....
And a portuguese girl, Elisabete Jacinto, followed the Iveco's to be third on the truck category today a former bike competitor, she won the Dakar ladies cup in 2000.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #270
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,565
Hey, how's the OP doing? Ya know the guy who saved for two years to do this rally and started this thread......

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote