Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #1021
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
I think he only has 1st gear.
Or he's taking reeeaaaly steady.
Out there... with only a standard enduro headlight (and at best maybe a battery head lamp up on the helmet)... it's no wonder there are no speed records being broken... todays route was 70 to 80% off piste (not following roads an tracks like much of the first three days)

Riding that oued from CP 2 and the terrain to the finish, will be superhuman at night... not surprised if they are still at it come daybreak, or stay inside the erg the nigh and wait for daylight. This is reminiscent of a Dakar stage today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #1022
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
This afternoon was THE single most intense and exhiliarating SS I have watched (unfortunately only via the laptop screen... not in person) for a long while. I would give my eye teeth to be there in person.

kudos to N.P.O. for a great race
My sentiments exactly, today was edge of your seat stuff.
Maybe it's the ten month Dakar withdrawal, but I was actually considering grabbing the vodka bottle from the freezer.

Glad helder is starting tomorrow, he may be off the podium but with a good run tomorrow he may put up a good fight at the front on the last day. Unless they reseed him tomorrow morning? Not sure of the NPO rules...

Regardless, unless Zanol ups his game, it may be a KTM Husky and Yamaha affair for the top 3 spots. Mr Yamazaki will have some explaining to do back at HRC central
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #1023
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Glad helder is starting tomorrow, he may be off the podium but with a good run tomorrow he may put up a good fight at the front on the last day. Unless they reseed him tomorrow morning? Not sure of the NPO rules...
There is no specific "re-seeding" rule... other than a rider who does not complete a leg, is given a maximum time penalty, and permitted to start the following leg...

It seems what they are doing with the "priority" riders that have DNF'd a leg (like Duclos and Knuiman who both dropped day 2), is they "re-seed" them into the start of the following day, somewhere at the back of the "priority" riders who are still in the running... So for Helder, tomorrow and the start of leg five; one would assume this is somewhere fro pos. 21 to maybe 25...?

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #1024
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
There is no specific "re-seeding" rule... other than a rider who does not complete a leg, is given a maximum time penalty, and permitted to start the following leg...

It seems what they are doing with the "priority" riders that have DNF'd a leg (like Duclos and Knuiman who both dropped day 2), is they "re-seed" them into the start of the following day, somewhere at the back of the "priority" riders who are still in the running... So for Helder, tomorrow and the start of leg five; one would assume this is somewhere fro pos. 21 to maybe 25...?
Troy, do you know what the "maximum penalty" is so we could figure out if there is an additional 15' engine swap penalty on top. Not that I would be one to doubt the HRC "word" but in my world vapor lock cures itself given enough cooling off time.
DruncleWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #1025
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,832
Husqvarna's Matt Fish after today's stage:

"Good stage today, with tricky navigation, I ended up in front at one point and said to myself :this can’t be right!."

From the NPO interviews

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #1026
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruncleWill View Post
Troy, do you know what the "maximum penalty" is so we could figure out if there is an additional 15' engine swap penalty on top. Not that I would be one to doubt the HRC "word" but in my world vapor lock cures itself given enough cooling off time.
On the General Classification results for Leg 4, Helder is credited with a time penalty of 14 hours... which I assume is the max time penalty for SS4.

From that it would appear that no engine exchange has taken place... and believe me... the HRC pit will be heavily scrutinized, so the possibility they "slip a new one in" without anyone knowing is extremely unlikely. The FIM rules state that the machines must be in open (under a pit tent is okay) but you can't take them "behind closed doors" (into a pit van or semi trailer etc.)

Quote:

Quote:
Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #1027
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Husqvarna's Matt Fish after today's stage:

"Good stage today, with tricky navigation, I ended up in front at one point and said to myself :this can’t be right!."

From the NPO interviews

Quote:

Quote:
Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #1028
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
On the General Classification results for Leg 4, Helder is credited with a time penalty of 14 hours... which I assume is the max time penalty for SS4.

From that it would appear that no engine exchange has taken place... and believe me... the HRC pit will be heavily scrutinized, so the possibility they "slip a new one in" without anyone knowing is extremely unlikely. The FIM rules state that the machines must be in open (under a pit tent is okay) but you can't take them "behind closed doors" (into a pit van or semi trailer etc.)
There is no way JC would be part of a team that would secretly switch engine.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #1029
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:

Well, if they wanted to run a new engine what's another 15 mins, but I'm sure they will save the warp drive for Jan, with a private test next month
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #1030
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
There is no way JC would be part of a team that would secretly switch engine.
Nor the - lol
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #1031
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by "NPO
Stage 5 FRIDAY 19th OCTOBER 2012 : FROM THE OUED DRAA TO IRIKI LAKE

LIAISON : 97 KMS – SELECTIVE SECTOR: 246 KMS – LIAISON : 84 KMS

Sand, again and again in the spotlight for this special… Crossing of the Erg from east to west with a varied terrain, plains between 2 ergs and big crossings… Attention to the last WPM !

Part of the course is common to Stage 4, run backwards.
So the Iriki Lake was kept for Stage 5... it's a dry lake, smooth as a highway. We'll prolly see some new speed records.

See you tomorrow!

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #1032
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
This poor guy was stationary for 6 hours but he's moving now.
11 hours since the start.

Dont worry about Marc Devos, he has done 4 Dakars, including Africa and knows his way around, he'll bring that Sherco in (minus a few parts ofcourse :))
Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #1033
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
how good would it have been to see ben grabham at this one as well mixing it with the big guns.

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #1034
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Well, if they wanted to run a new engine what's another 15 mins, but I'm sure they will save the warp drive for Jan, with a private test next month
The reason for my question of the engine swap is more of my being an in'triguer. How is an external failure not solved by swapping out pieces, when your team mates are stopping to visit Do the team orders dictate that if the thing is doing or not doing (X 3Y) /Z +37 then keep yer grubby mitt's off of it?
It just seems to me if the moving parts are still all in order, then HRC will surely run it to the end for a post race tear down.
DruncleWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #1035
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
Chickens before hatching anyone...?

This was day three of a SIX day rally...

Day four and five are navigationally and dune wise... the most technical...

11 minutes tomorrow is a margin... not a failsafe barrier.
Yeah I'm going to agree with you on this one Troy...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote