Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #1036
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,357
A couple of quotes from Sam's Facebook on yesterday, I'll have a small wager on perhaps a stage win today?

Not sure about the penalty comment as it doesn't seem to be there and he got the wp after some time - maybe just a concern?

"Checked my route with organisation and confirmed I missed a WPM by 18 metres!! Our Kms were out because we were HP in a river bed so I was waiting for the GPS to open but it has already opened and closed without me seeing a few Kms before when there was no WPM in the roadbook, 30mins penalty :(, but I'm happy I opened some of the stage today and had fun in the dunes and learning everyday!"

"I made some small errors before the dunes and lost time but when I got to the dunes it was great I was in around 10th when we got there managed to pass everyone and open the route to the refuel
12 hours ago via mobile "

too old screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 09:14 PM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #1037
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruncleWill View Post
The reason for my question of the engine swap is more of my being an in'triguer. How is an external failure not solved by swapping out pieces, when your team mates are stopping to visit Do the team orders dictate that if the thing is doing or not doing (X 3Y) /Z +37 then keep yer grubby mitt's off of it?
It just seems to me if the moving parts are still all in order, then HRC will surely run it to the end for a post race tear down.
Cheers Will - looks like it was vapour lock, but only on one machine, anyway Honda have openly said they will have it sorted for Dakar, one of the reasons why they are there.

"The Portuguese rider began today with an 11-minute overall lead at the halfway stage of the rally having won Monday’s opening stage and finishing in an impressive second place yesterday after stopping to help the injured Marc Coma. Helder will take the start of the 5th stage tomorrow and will continue testing the new CRF 450 RALLY aiming to be 100% ready for the Dakar 2013, which remains the main target for TEAM HRC."

too old screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 09:09 PM
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #1038
too old
Keen supporter

Helder has been dropped back in at 11, pretty generous but right and sensible, although with the quality of the top 20 or so he wouldn't have been held up too much being further down either?

http://vulcain.iritrack.net/tdcom/po.../index/etape/5
Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #1039
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Drinking from the F5erhose and it's not January, I love it.
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #1040
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,164
Question HRC test it's "team strategies" on LEG 5...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Helder has been dropped back in at 11, pretty generous but right and sensible, although with the quality of the top 20 or so he wouldn't have been held up too much being further down either?

http://vulcain.iritrack.net/tdcom/po.../index/etape/5

Looks like the race direction have slotted Helder into the first of the 30 second gaps (right after the top 10... who start at 2 min intervalls).

Again (as was the case of "re-seeding" DNF'd A priority riders who had dropped a day, last month at the Oz Safari)... it's not (or shouldn't be) be a case of worrying if "Helder wouldn't be held up too much"... his "race" is over, it finished when he parked the million dollar weapon on the side of the track yesterday... for whatever reason. And re-seeding a "star" - so far up the front -just because of who he is or who he rides for, is a bit of an insult to other riders (still inside the top 20 general classification), who haven't DNF'd, who are still in the rally legitimately, IMHO.

But what this sort of "A priority" re-seeding does achieve, is it gives the multi-rider factory teams (and I reckon this is where the push comes from) the chance to "re-jersey" their stars in the role of waterboy AND keeps them near the front (where they are of the most use).

All things being equal, in a "true" factory effort, the team manager would define Helder's role; as to perform the "first on sight" waterboy to Zanol (5th overall at moment and start in pos 3 today) who still has a genuine shot at a podium and/or Sam (7th overall and starts in pos. 8 today). Sure, Helder can go out and shoot for some stage wins I guess (bragging rights and testing) as was stated in some of the HRC tweets last night... but smart money is for him to serve as backstop for Zanol and let the young star SX Sam, who shows flashes of his lightning speed, to go out and mix it up front (as the astute young gun said last night... "I am learning every day")

Or another variation on the theme is for Helder to maybe "team up" with Sammy if they bump into each other out there (Sam starts only four minutes 30 seconds ahead of Helder) and make a HRC juggernaut/high speed "navigation" school day of it... and let the designated team #1 show the young gun some tricks for January?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 12:21 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #1041
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Stage 5 FRIDAY 19th OCTOBER 2012 : FROM THE OUED DRAA TO IRIKI LAKE

LIAISON : 97 KMS – SELECTIVE SECTOR: 246 KMS – LIAISON : 84 KMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

Part of the course is common to Stage 4, run backwards.
So the Iriki Lake was kept for Stage 5... it's a dry lake, smooth as a highway. We'll prolly see some new speed records.
Download the map of the OiLibya Rally of Morocco 2012

Thanks Carlos

NPO course description:

"Sand, again and again in the spotlight for this special… Crossing of the Erg from east to west with a varied terrain, plains between 2 ergs and big crossings…" Attention to the last WPM !

Irritrac POSIS/CP times/splits:

http://vulcain.iritrack.net/tdcom/posi/NPORALLY2012_front/web/index.php/display/index//pstart/1

Ir(ratic)trac "eye in the sky" tracker: (ideal for all those F5; "Who's on first... I, dunno...? No, W.Ho's in second... I. Dunno's in first... Okay, what's in second then...! No Watt's lost out in the dunes looking for wenches" moments.

http://vulcain.iritrack.net/tdcom/eviewer/NPORALLY2012/

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 10-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #1042
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Thumb Sit back and enjoy the f5un...

Mornin' all...

Just gettin' caught up on all the facetwitter.combook garble and making a nice butt crack impression in the desk chair for another morning of f5renzy...

From the blue dot's o the whacky tracker, it appears that all the MOTO soldiers are on the 97 km liason from Zagora, down to Mhamid already and we are just under an hour away from the start today; at 08:35 AM local Moroccan time: http://www.thetimenow.com/morocco/zagora

So get your f5ingers ready, yesterdays stage was a great pre-Dakar warm up (and not just for the meatspace riders )... can we expect to see the same (or similar) action today... One can only hope!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #1043
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Any way you cut it, re-seeding rule leaves a bad taste in the mouth of all competitors and (at least in my case) fans.
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #1044
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Mornin! almost missed this, working on the Tales From The Bivouac brand-spankin'-new-awesome website ha ha

Let's see how much of an animal Cyril is today... and how Barreda, Zanol, Sam and potential podium hunters can keep up
Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #1045
mxmum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Gotta day off, woo hoo, can join in with the F5'ers today!!! Bring it on, go Sam!!
mxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #1046
CPWSAFARI
Silverback

Oddometer: 71
Fishy was saying that he is slightly down on top speed as he is riding one the older generation Speedbrain Husky and the other guys have the new faster version that they are shaking down for Dakar. How much is slightly slower - about 10k per hour apparently !!! apart from that is digging the bike, the team and the race. And he also said that its just not my wheels he smashes as he did a SpeedBrain front wheel on Leg 3 !!!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #1047
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWSAFARI View Post
Fishy was saying that he is slightly down on top speed as he is riding one the older generation Speedbrain Husky and the other guys have the new faster version that they are shaking down for Dakar. How much is slightly slower - about 10k per hour apparently !!! apart from that is digging the bike, the team and the race. And he also said that its just not my wheels he smashes as he did a SpeedBrain front wheel on Leg 3 !!!
Matt is currently tenth overall (about 53 minutes back) and starts 6 minutes ahead of his Speedbrain Husky team mate Joan Barreda (#8) who is currently in second overall. So whether Matt get's "team order" to park for 6 minutes after the start, so he can shadow Barreda will have to see...? Although third team member Goncalves (#5) who is in 8th overall starts only 6 minutes behind Barreda... so who gets the role of "waterboy" today is probably a team/tactical decision.

So Matt dinged/trashed another front...? Not surprising the speeds these guys have been bombing those mor(rock)an boulder tracks at...

Seems as though he doesn't just bust your wheelsets eh Don...??? Haha, take pride in the fact mate, that the quality of the bikes and material you have prepared for the Fish over the last years have helped this (truly likable and talented) young guy, make this step to the big leagues from down under. Kudos to all the wheels, pistons and other bit's you've worn out together at CPW!

Go FISH...!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 10-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #1048
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmum View Post
Gotta day off, woo hoo, can join in with the F5'ers today!!! Bring it on, go Sam!!
Hi mum weekend here
Old 10-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #1049
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Hi mum weekend here
I predict the #17 irritracking icon is gonna' cop a hammering today... Hi "mum" and "too old"

Quote:

Quote:
Old 10-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #1050
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I predict the #17 irritracking icon is gonna' cop a hammering today... Hi "mum" and "too old"
Safe bet that one - Mrs.. Too Old and baby Too Old also