User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
2013 Model Madness

This is the fun/silly part of the motorcycling year - speculating on the 2013 models!

If the motorcycle gods have any sense of truth, justice or the American Way, they will give me us:

Honda XTourer
Moto Guzzi Griso - without the spoked tires
Moto Guzzi Stelvio - the road-oriented version [like the '09-'10 models] with the updated and slick 2012 NTX motor

I mean, c'mon: 2 of these wish-list items are already available in Europe, fer goodness' sake.

We already know Triumph is releasing slightly modded Explorer w/o larger fuel tank.

Anything else?

Moto Guzzi isn't listed as a participant in the SF Bay Area's biggest show this November - but I guess there's still hope, as the show isn't for 2+ months...
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,421
Kawasaki has a big launch Sep 13, should see the new Ninja 300R with EFI and ABS, the 2013 Ninja 650R ABS, and Versys 1000.

Victory announced the Boardwalk, HD announced their revised models.

CF Moto is making their debut with a few 650 models.

Guzzi already announced the V7 Stone with a revised motor, more power, and alloy (tubeless) wheels.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

...I wonder why ABS isn't standard on new, road-oriented bikes. I get that it isn't popular on dirt.

But I doubt anyone will be taking a Griso or Boardwalk off road.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post
Honda XTourer
Moto Guzzi Griso - without the spoked tires
Moto Guzzi Stelvio - the road-oriented version [like the '09-'10 models] with the updated and slick 2012 NTX motor
Moto Guzzi isn't listed as a participant in the SF Bay Area's biggest show this November - but I guess there's still hope, as the show isn't for 2+ months...
The XTourer will be here after it does a shakeout elsewhere for a year.

Stelvio wasn't really a road version in 09-10...it just didn't have crash bars and bags. Doubt the big girl has enough sales to justify 2 models even if there are a few who want the cast wheels.

Griso...buy an SE and offer up the wheels to any one of us who don't have them. I swap them for free. Not sure where they would fit the ABS module on a Griso...I can't even put my wallet anywhere under the seat.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The XTourer will be here after it does a shakeout elsewhere for a year.

Stelvio wasn't really a road version in 09-10...it just didn't have crash bars and bags. Doubt the big girl has enough sales to justify 2 models even if there are a few who want the cast wheels.

Griso...buy an SE and offer up the wheels to any one of us who don't have them. I swap them for free. Not sure where they would fit the ABS module on a Griso...I can't even put my wallet anywhere under the seat.
The SEs are incredibly nice bikes. I just need to determine if my shoulder/wrists can handle long rides on one. And get the $$.

I dunno about whether Guzzi can have more than 1 version of the Stelvio out here - they do in Europe, don't they?

As the XTourer was in Europe/Australia/Oz in 2012, I'm sure hoping we get them over here this year.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Multistrada update?

Suggestions of an updated Multistrada 1200 to go with the HyperMulti 848 we've seen leaks of. Anything on the net seems to stem from this thread on the Italian Multi forum. Sounds interesting in google translate but hard to know whether someone is taking the piss.

Are there any native speakers of Italian who can glean a sense of its authenticity? The thread is live, runs now to 8 pages.

The suggestions are, twin-spark engine for better low-speed running, new ABS system whose behaviour changes with the selected mode (like the new Panigale's), on-the-move manual adjustment of windscreen, Ohlins active real-time auto damping adjustment (presumably same system referenced here), LED headlamps.

Given the new models expected from BMW (waterboxer) and KTM (1190), it makes some sense Ducati would offer a mid-life something about now, if they can. (Not that that is a good way of predicting Ducati's behaviour.)
Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
The SEs are incredibly nice bikes. I just need to determine if my shoulder/wrists can handle long rides on one. And get the $$.
I dunno about whether Guzzi can have more than 1 version of the Stelvio out here - they do in Europe, don't they?
As the XTourer was in Europe/Australia/Oz in 2012, I'm sure hoping we get them over here this year.
The Griso is somewhat standard riding position with a little lean. The 1" drop pegs make it a very comfortable bike for me.

The US isn't Europe. My dealer wouldn't stock a NTX, I had to order it. I don't know how many would sell to justify it. You could always buy an NTX, buy the cast wheels (~$1400), and sell the other bits to gen1 owners. PITA, but does get you the bike you want.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Suggestions of an updated Multistrada 1200 to go with the HyperMulti 848 we've seen leaks of. Anything on the net seems to stem from this thread on the Italian Multi forum. Sounds interesting in google translate but hard to know whether someone is taking the piss.

Are there any native speakers of Italian who can glean a sense of its authenticity? The thread is live, runs now to 8 pages.

The suggestions are, twin-spark engine for better low-speed running, new ABS system whose behaviour changes with the selected mode (like the new Panigale's), on-the-move manual adjustment of windscreen, Ohlins active real-time auto damping adjustment (presumably same system referenced here), LED headlamps.

Given the new models expected from BMW (waterboxer) and KTM (1190), it makes some sense Ducati would offer a mid-life something about now, if they can. (Not that that is a good way of predicting Ducati's behaviour.)
It seems legit, either that or the guy is seriously craving attention.

The highlights: small revisions to the aesthetics, full LED lighting, revised electronics, dual plug heads (!), completely new ABS and, most interestingly, the electronic suspension is now active, a la BMW HP4! If true that could be really something...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
It seems legit, either that or the guy is seriously craving attention.
Wow, that was quick. Thanks!

Yes, if true, interesting indeed.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
This is the year Harley is "supposed" to start intro'ing water cooled engines outside the V-Rod line. I supposed you have all seen those schematics of their "new water cooled heads." It has been speculated the 2012 lineup was a bit anemic because they were going to intro something later in the year.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
This is the year Harley is "supposed" to start intro'ing water cooled engines outside the V-Rod line. I supposed you have all seen those schematics of their "new water cooled heads." It has been speculated the 2012 lineup was a bit anemic because they were going to intro something later in the year.
Practical considerations aside, that should be a huge thing for HD riders. It'll be interesting to see the new models, and how the water cooling is integrated.

...or how they'll chrome it.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Practical considerations aside, that should be a huge thing for HD riders. It'll be interesting to see the new models, and how the water cooling is integrated.

...or how they'll chrome it.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/06/12...cooler-waters/
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Honda just got their annual announcement of the new cruiser colors out of the way. Looks like they went with a partially blacked-out treatment. This is actually good news to me. It means they didn't waste a lot of their development resources on their cruisers this year. Can't wait to see what they did do with their development resources.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519

Aprilia Tuono V4R Factory with Öhlins and forged wheels. ABS will also be available, probably on both the Factory and base APRC model.
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2

RoteEddie screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 10:38 AM
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
Honda just got their annual announcement of the new cruiser colors out of the way. Looks like they went with a partially blacked-out treatment. This is actually good news to me. It means they didn't waste a lot of their development resources on their cruisers this year. Can't wait to see what they did do with their development resources.

Bold New Graphics!