User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Davo-55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Triumph Thruxton...school me

Tell me your opinions and experience with the new Triumph Thruxton. They appeal to me, thinking about an addition to the stable.
Davo-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 603
Had one for 4 years, only bike at present. Motors are bullet proof, Suspensions basic but nothing a few dollars can't improve with new shocks and fork springs and emulators. Heard them described as sports bikes for cruiser riders which is probably an apt description although I've never owned a cruiser. Not very fast, but your current stable has that covered and sometimes it's good to have the pressure off. When I'm on a fast bike I tend to feel the need to keep my speed up, on the Thruxton not so much. Can put up a good showing when set up properly or stock if the roads are smooth. The carb models could be a bit flighty over bumps at speed thru corners, but the efi one's (post 2009) have a longer swing arm which has calmed them down, so they tell me. They're a good bike if you like to personalize it with plenty of scope for improving looks or performance.

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Just bought one, planning to build a proper café racer out of it.
Lovely bike for some customizing.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
NakedRider
NakedRider

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by plodalong View Post
Had one for 4 years, only bike at present. Motors are bullet proof, Suspensions basic but nothing a few dollars can't improve with new shocks and fork springs and emulators. Heard them described as sports bikes for cruiser riders which is probably an apt description although I've never owned a cruiser. Not very fast, but your current stable has that covered and sometimes it's good to have the pressure off. When I'm on a fast bike I tend to feel the need to keep my speed up, on the Thruxton not so much. Can put up a good showing when set up properly or stock if the roads are smooth. The carb models could be a bit flighty over bumps at speed thru corners, but the efi one's (post 2009) have a longer swing arm which has calmed them down, so they tell me. They're a good bike if you like to personalize it with plenty of scope for improving looks or performance.

I have long thought that's one of the best looking bikes on the market.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
cascadetiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
Tell me your opinions and experience with the new Triumph Thruxton. They appeal to me, thinking about an addition to the stable.
I bought one about a month ago. I have 1,100 miles on it. The build quality and finish is excellent. I read various forums about how slow it is and how bad the stock suspension is. Not true. The bike has good torque down low, nice pull out of turns. It makes very usable power for the street. It lacks a top end rush, feels like its close to being out of power at 85 mph, takes longer to get up to higher numbers. The gearbox is great, shifts beautifully.

Suspension wise, its good. Better rear shocks would make likely improve things, but as is its not as bad as I thought it would be. The riding position is good for me (5'6'/175 lbs). I have not done any long trips. For 60-90 minutes nothing hurts or aches. Can't say the same for my 04 VFR. The fuel light comes on at 130 miles which is approx 44 mgp.

Stock exhaust is muted, there is a nice sound in there but you cant hear it past about 25 mph. I am putting BC Predador exhaust on it later this week. All in all I am slowly bonding with the bike.

This bike is not for everyone, for those who appreciate it for what it is, it is great.
cascadetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Davo-55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

That is a beautiful bike. I no longer feel like I need the fastest bike out there. Getting bored with inline 4 cylinders. Love my KLR. I think a new Thruxton would fit in nicely.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Davo-55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascadetiger View Post
I bought one about a month ago. I have 1,100 miles on it. The build quality and finish is excellent. I read various forums about how slow it is and how bad the stock suspension is. Not true. The bike has good torque down low, nice pull out of turns. It makes very usable power for the street. It lacks a top end rush, feels like its close to being out of power at 85 mph, takes longer to get up to higher numbers. The gearbox is great, shifts beautifully.

Suspension wise, its good. Better rear shocks would make likely improve things, but as is its not as bad as I thought it would be. The riding position is good for me (5'6'/175 lbs). I have not done any long trips. For 60-90 minutes nothing hurts or aches. Can't say the same for my 04 VFR. The fuel light comes on at 130 miles which is approx 44 mgp.

Stock exhaust is muted, there is a nice sound in there but you cant hear it past about 25 mph. I am putting BC Predador exhaust on it later this week. All in all I am slowly bonding with the bike.

This bike is not for everyone, for those who appreciate it for what it is, it is great.
Those are my thoughts almost exactly. Not looking for the fastest thing out there, hell I ride a KLR most days. Question, how does the Predator exhaust compare to the factory offered Arrow exhaust?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,896
English looks made... oh make that "assembled" in Thailand, for a Made in England price.

Engine is the most powerful of the retro line but is a little character free and a touch boring.
The sporting riding position doesn't live up to the performance of the bike

But overall an easy to ride own and live with bike. There's a metric tonne of stuff for these bike.

In my eyes the perfect older hipster dad bike, a bike for someone who wants a bike that is fun to ride, a bike that doesn't need a lot of fiddling is not that hard to ride and can sit for a few weeks between rides and still start.

Or a retired guy who just wants a functional bike with a little bit of style.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Tried a thruxton, riding position not that comfortable for a old fart, bought a Bonneville perfect companion to my 1200gs
Built quality appears excellent on all the classic triumph models
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:

Nicely done! What seat is that and how do you like it?

Regards, Paul
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
i really enjoyed that bike when i test rode it years ago. same with the bonneville.

the first gen had lower bars and they hurt my wrists pretty bad after an extended test ride. i think the 2nd gen thruxton has bars that are around 1 inch higher and its more comfortable to me.

the bike gets some big gains once you put a real exhaust on it, change the air filter up, and retune it.

i really want a thruxton or a scrambler currently.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,265
Beauty.
Ive had 2 Bonnies and the first I made up to look a Thrux.. But I needed the bike for all day, everyday riding... Sold it and bought a bunch of other bikes... Sold them and am back to a Bonnie.. Looked at the Thrux but same rules applied.. Need the bike to do everything.. Bonnie suited the bill, but hey, they are both the same bike... Tons of aftermarket stuff to suit both... Do it..
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
I've got a 2004 with aftermarket mufflers and Ikon shocks. Handling is ok but would benefit from a Racetech fork upgrade.( got one of these in my BMW track bike and they are good)
Power is fine for most riding, I've had mine on the track and 600 Jappers will eat it on the straights.....but on a good winding road very nice.
I have Michelin Pilots on mine and I can scrape the pegs of a good corner...( not on the road though...there I ride like a Nana).

Performance is about par with a BMW R90/100....Norton Commando, Ducati Darmah....without the worries of it blowing up.
.I swapped a 1999 Ducati 900ss for mine.... less power but more fun.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #14
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Nicely done! What seat is that and how do you like it?

Regards, Paul
The seats a corbin gunfighter, an older model as they're changed them a bit. Its pretty firm but comfortable so long as the roads not too bumpy. Being firm it gives good feedback as to what the bike doing, same as the alloy footpegs with no rubber on top, wouldn't think it would make a difference but (or butt) it has a positive effect on the amount of feedback the bike gives.

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
had an 06 bonnie and foolishly sold it. replaced it with and 06 thruxton and couldn't get used to the clip ons and rear sets for any substantial length of time. Best looking bike I've ever owned, but at this point I like a little comfort. I reccomend getting a standard bonnie and going cafe light.
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote