Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I was told once by a physician who was, at the time, looking at my broken collarbone, that the collarbone is in fact designed to break when a certain amount of force is exerted upon it. This "break" sort of short-circuits the force of an impact on the shoulder or arm and keeps the impact from reaching your neck and/or head, causing spinal injuries or head trauma. So the fragile collarbone is actually a design feature of the human body.

Maybe the doc was dumbing it down for me, but it made sense at the time.
i broke mine playing hockey. full head a of steam, the guy glanced down at the puck (his head followed his eyes) and my collarbone met the tip-top of his helmet. knocked him out & split his helmet, broke my collarbone all the way through. when the local doc who wanted to break & reset it. got a consultation by world famous sports/orthopedic surgeon Dr Lemak in Birmingham, Alabama (at that time practicing with the other world famous sports/orthopedic surgeon Dr. Andrews). saw the x-ray. looked at it for 5 seconds to make sure it had aligned alright & is/was fusing properly. he proceeded to tell us the exact same thing. he told me my spine would be a little crooked from there on out, but the odds of rebreaking & straightening everything were not worth beginning to think about doing it.
my spine is a little uneven, but no big deal. exactly what he said, never thought a thing about it.

you always either hear it's really painful or it's not at all. here's the truth to it. it's not the most painful thing. It's not as bad as an arm/leg/wrist/ankle. actually. as long as you line everything back up & keep a load off your upper body it's nothing advil/NASID's can't handle. dull throbbing. the biiiig kicker with a broken collar bone is that's it's a fakey injury. you think it's no big deal because it REALLY doesn't hurt much. it makes you confident. but alias, it's connected to everything and if you move/jolt virtually anything from your nipples on up and tweak it it's an extremely sharp pain. as in standing up to slam down on your knee sharp pain. and that's no fun at all. i did mine a couple times. hurt like hell.
as long as you get it set pretty well and stay still you likely wont have a pain problem. a lot of people never tweak one. if you tweak it... youll know it!

ya... a broken rib feels about like a collarbone when you're not tweaking it, or a really bad bruise. dull pain. no big deal.

cracked broke my other as an adult with the classic helmet hitting it.

healing time is the difference in being a teenager & being an adult! back then it was an honest 5-6 weeks until your "chicken wing looking brace" comes off and 8 weeks cleared for full-contact sports. for a grown adult... na... unrealistic. especially as the years pile on! as a teen mine completely healed by 7-8 weeks. as an adult the crack took about 3 months. you can tell too! look how many (american) football players break theirs and it's always the quoted "4-6 weeks". every single time the media says "4-6 weeks". then 8 weeks later they're just starting low-contact practice and even longer for full-contact! happens virtually every time LoL! relatively young, world class athletes with everything modern medicine has to offer don't come back 100% in 4-6 weeks...

bone heal time/apples/oranges/peaches

Toysrme screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 10:21 PM
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
daveinva OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Thanks all for the advice (and, ummm, thanks for the horror stories... I think?).

Obviously, job #1 is not breaking anything in the first place. Knock on wood, I'll do my best to stick to that plan.

Luckily, I've only broken one bone in my body in my life, and in the ABSOLUTE DUMBEST WAY possible. (Busted my nose running into a door... a *glass* door. You know, like a bird... never even saw it, heh. Thankfully, I'm nowhere near as clutzy on a bike!).

I'd like to keep it that way!
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
Brakelate
Supermoto Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Bluhduh

I think my helmet hit mine.

While out playing with my GoPro's at Willow Springs Kart Track, I high sided and knocked myself unconscious.

Despite walking, talking and answering questions from medical aid, I have no recollection of the crash or anything from just prior to the event, until about half way to hospital.

*Warning; Not Graphic, but some may find the audio track entertaining, while others may find it disturbing as I apparently quit breathing for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVk7u...LW4X4F6BXM5nSA

Brakelate screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 02:55 AM
Brakelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #19
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakelate View Post
I think my helmet hit mine.

While out playing with my GoPro's at Willow Springs Kart Track, I high sided and knocked myself unconscious.

Despite walking, talking and answering questions from medical aid, I have no recollection of the crash or anything from just prior to the event, until about half way to hospital.

*Warning; Not Graphic, but some may find the audio track entertaining, while others may find it disturbing as I apparently quit breathing for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVk7u...LW4X4F6BXM5nSA
I heard those same agonal breaths from a buddy (ex Green Beret / Vietnam vet) who hit a deer ahead of me. He had a concussion and, like you, eventually came around and somewhat communicated, but can't remember just about the same amount of it to this day.

Thank goodness for good full-face helmets.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #20
ScEd
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
I Agree with the full-face helmet being the cause of most MC related collar bone breaks or at least mine. But its a good trade off knowing what would have happened otherwise just from the looks of the helmet after a crash.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #21
mebuildit
n00b

Oddometer: 7
This is what happened to a friend of mine when we were riding a couple of weeks ago. Broken in 5 places, and after surgery plates and screws put humpty back together again.
Strange this is about the area he crashed in, was I crashed in that exact same spot a few months ago but didn't break anything.

mebuildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #22
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,097
I had a fall in some sandy whoops, I lost the front tire and fell into the next sandy whoop still on the bike with its weight behind me drilling me into the sand. Low speed, maybe 25 mph?

I broke the clavicle, scapula, 5 ribs front and back, tore my spleen, collaped a lung and fractured my spine.
My helmet did not enter the picture.

I was wearing a heavy jacket and fell is soft sand, so I am thinking nothing I could have worn would have helped much and might have made for more spine damage.
I was told breaking the scapula was rare and hard to do.

The best thing to do to prevent breaks is to ride a lower lighter bike at a reasonable speed.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,010
Mine broke when i high sided a 4 wheeler and I must have stuck my arms out to break my fall??
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
bgoodwin
Got Parelli?

Oddometer: 1,138
Mine...

Short of football shoulder pads, not sure how to prevent this break...well, i guess not crashing would help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

"Take the time it takes, it WILL take less time"

"Listen guys...the only way to insure a successful prosecution...is if I get away" - Me to Al Goodwin and DeBandi
bgoodwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
Jedl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
So how long does it take to recover from a broken rib?

I'm nearly 3 weeks into mine and now that I'm off the meds (Vicodan 7.5 & some muscle relaxant) the pain no longer interferes with breathing but it still hurts enough to keep me from doing much of anything. For a couple of weeks I wondered if I'd ever ride again but I got out today on the road bike and felt ok (a bit tentative but at least riding).

I'm expecting a dull aching pain for another few weeks but hoping the sharp pain that comes with a sneeze will be short lived?
Jedl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #26
NJ-Brett
Brett

I dont know, I had so much other stuff screwed up at the time.
Short term, the ribs were the worst, I could not use my arm, I could not use my spine much, but you use ribs all the time. Then my son came over and gave me a cold, all that coughing and sneezing was murder!

They heal up nice though and do not bother me at all, but I do not remember when the major pain went away, maybe a month into it?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
augerdin
I do my own crashing

Oddometer: 87
In jan of 06 I highsided my VFR on vulture mine road in az at a little over 70mph. Not real fast. I know, I am an idiot. It was completely my fault. Got a helo flight to John C Lincoln trauma center. My right collar bone broke in two places. Right shoulder blade broke almost completely off, about a half inch of bone holding it on. Multiple breaks on 5 ribs which inhibit lung expansion now. Had a punctured lung, bruised kidney, bruised liver, smashed left hand, concussion blah blah blah. I didnt have the good insurance so the doctor told me tuff luck and here is a brace just wear this and you might be ok.. To this day there is no bone to bone connection in my collarbone. It is scar tissue holding it together. My right shoulder is quite a bit narrower than my left and droops. I have to work to hold it up. It hasnt stopped me from riding. I just look goofy - which is normal for me. I have seen different types of armor that seem to offer more collarbone protection. When I get back from Mexico I think I will start looking for some. Following this thread with interest hoping to learn more about c-bone protection.
augerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
NJ-Brett
Brett

That is rough!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #29
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
Isn't there a pretty big vein or artery in that area that can be severed by a broken collarbone? A friend's brother had what I understand was a relatively minor low-side on his HD, and he broke his collarbone. As I understand it, he severed something that caused some serious bleeding and almost killed him.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #30
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I'm pretty sure my Shoie broke mine in a high side gravel dump a couple of years back. Nothing else could have caused the giant bruise I had there.
I've wondered if one of these would protect, without the full on restriction of a brace.

Mine was displaced and never really knitted back together - no problem I'm told.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote