Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #46
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I instinctively tuck and roll and always have. If I trip, I will take the impact on my shoulder and roll to dissipate the force.

If it came down to it, I'd prefer a busted clavicle to a screwed up wrist and possible loss of use of a hand.
My instinct is to tuck and roll as well... I'll just use my hands and arms to decel a little bit, as well as help rotate my body into the best rolling position, before my shoulder touches down. Perhaps some people just don't have a feel when to stop relying on their limps before damaging them and therefore have trained themselves not use them at all. I still believe the vast majority of people will instinctively throw their hands in front of them if they trip on a stair, for example.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #47
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 717
If it were possible to land on your feet in a crash you would do so with your knees bent to absorb the shock. Parachutists use their legs this way even if they tuck and roll. Why would you not use the same concept with your arms as Snapper is talking about. We used to mock the kids in school who would trip on the steps and break their fall with face. Arms and legs are perfect shock absorbers to protect the head and the torso.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #48
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
If it were possible to land on your feet in a crash you would do so with your knees bent to absorb the shock. Parachutists use their legs this way even if they tuck and roll. Why would you not use the same concept with your arms as Snapper is talking about. We used to mock the kids in school who would trip on the steps and break their fall with face. Arms and legs are perfect shock absorbers to protect the head and the torso.
find a copy of "a twist of the wrist" and read it. here's the (badly) bastardized version: impact spread over a large area does less damage than impact focused on a point. (that's actually exactly why you would tuck/roll btw) due to the speeds involved and the risk of turning the extended limb into a catapult (or splinters) the best way to spread the impact while crashing a motorbike is to relax, don't fight, go as limp as possible and let the large area of your body absorb the impact.

it doesn't make sense, i suppose. it is true though.

Originally Posted by Kommando
People that want to try to dictate my life to me can suck it.
fonztheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #49
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonztheyeti View Post
find a copy of "a twist of the wrist" and read it. here's the (badly) bastardized version: impact spread over a large area does less damage than impact focused on a point. (that's actually exactly why you would tuck/roll btw) due to the speeds involved and the risk of turning the extended limb into a catapult (or splinters) the best way to spread the impact while crashing a motorbike is to relax, don't fight, go as limp as possible and let the large area of your body absorb the impact.

depends on entirely on the speed. Slow speeds in dirt do a break fall or try and start running.

Fast slides on pavement, get limp and hope nothing catchs. There's a reason there are toe sliders and heel sliders on street boots and gloves, and metal slide plates on the shoulders (which help prevent collarbone injuries). Because anything that catchs is going to get broken and if you start tumbling it's going to really suck.

The alpinestars tech air suit is specifically designed to reduce the risk of collarbone injuries. They also claim that there neck brace is the best on the market at preventing collarbone related injuries from the neck braces themselves. From what I've read the LEATT is actually more likely to break your collar bone, but it's going to save your neck a trade off that's well worth it imho.

An interesting link
http://www.alpinestars.com/safety/

http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/cate...ck-support-cf/
Collar Bone preservation 1 ‐ All parts in contact with the body use an expanded foam compound to distribute the impact force over the widest area, yet remain lightweight.
Collar Bone preservation 2 ‐ A frame member runs over the shoulders, eliminating weak points in a critical part of the frame and no metal pins or screws sit directly above the shoulders which could dislodge, causing injury during an accident.

http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/cate...air-race-suit/
Once inflated, the airbags offer 5 seconds of full inflation protection to the rider before beginning to deflate. This ensures a prolonged, highly effective impact absorption barrier for both clavicles and shoulders during any fall the rider may suffer

crofrog screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 07:01 AM
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #50
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 717
Watch a gymnast.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #51
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonztheyeti View Post
...the best way to spread the impact while crashing a motorbike is to relax, don't fight, go as limp as possible and let the large area of your body absorb the impact.

This is what I was taught in Karate, Judo and other martial arts classes on Parris Island. You don't "break your fall" with outstretched limbs. The only thing that breaks is wrists, hands, ankles and knees. We were trained to relax, tuck and roll. The way we were trained to do that was by being thrown down hard over and over. After a while it sinks in when you figure out it hurts less to just go limp, tuck and roll.

Funny how easily all the time I spent being punched, kicked, chopped and thrown across a gym translated into offroad riding. Especially the hell those crazy ass Marine DI's dished out to us Navy kids. Pretty much the only good all those years of martial arts training did was teach me how to properly crash a motorcycle. But then I do a pretty good job of staying in practice with that.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #52
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I don't think intelligent design is required to justify saying the human body has features designed into it.
Put differently, the Neanderthals (Cro Magnon, pick a generation) that didn't break their collarbones, snapped their necks and didn't reproduce. Eventually, weak collar bones becomes a survival trait.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #53
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Watch a gymnast.
i enjoy watching gymnastics, actually. i don't think gymnastics competion is relevant to the subject of crashing motorbikes.

you keep sticking your hands out, i'll keep landing on my body. even better, let's neither of us test our beliefs again.

Originally Posted by Kommando
People that want to try to dictate my life to me can suck it.
fonztheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote