User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,172
Narrowed choices to Husky 630/KTM530 EXCR/XR650L Opinions requested

OK, guys I have been lurking for quite some time and occassionaly post here. I have absorbed much information from many very knowledgable people and appreciate that very much. I have narrowed my choices down signifigantly but still have fear of buying the wrong bike for me. I have a YZ450 that I can use when I feel like going way too fast, but want a more practical bike for daily transportation, aggressive trailing, and the occassional all day or weekender with a Giant Loop. I rarely ever ride over 400 miles in a day and I despise the interstates.
I dont have any illusions of riding 2,000 miles in one sit down, but I definitely enjoy the day rides and realistically will probably do many 1-2 day rides with some light camping. I believe all of these bikes selected will power the 7inch Round 55w Halogen/ Trailtech light I want to use so I am OK there. GPS power and I am golden on the 12v front.
I weigh 250lbs and am 6ft tall, a seasoned MX racer, and have never owned a current dual sport. Heres what my thoughts are and i welcome real world correction or input so please do so.

2011 Husky TE630- Positives....Big Chassis is a plus, plenty of power with pipe/ FI/ and airbox mods to be fine. Stator is powerful and will power whatever light I choose, along with GPS.

Negatives-.... Leo Vince pipe is $1200 bux but is a requirement for me to be happy and the bike to perform well. Not a big fan of FI but I realize this is the way things are so thats fine...

2011 KTM 530 EXCR- Positives....Carbed !! True Dirt Bike with a WR trannsmission, Looks hott, and if I decide I want to jump a 50 foot table top out in the woods I can manage it almost as well as my MX bike. Only Mods needed are a jetting kit and a Slipon muffler.

Negatives......Pricey, I will be changing oil all the time, and I have my doubts how well I will handle weekenders with a Giant loop bag and the Dirt Bike handling, although I know the bike can do it from many ADVers here. My doubts lie within me being able to ride a real dirt bike for any distance.

Honda XR650L....Positives....Its reliable like a hammer, Big air cooled carbed engine gets the job done with minimal work, Price is cheap, Big cushy seat options, and the stator will handle the lighting duties. Once mods are completed it makes a decent, solid, hassle free, low maintainance ride that makes ownership and maintainance a breeze.

Negatives....Uh Oh...Here we go. Needs a pipe, High Comp Piston, Cam, Jetted, Suspension work, plastic tank, and its antiqated design will never do anything great regardless of mods. Price is comparable to my other choices once mods are completed and using a new bike for a start.

I am ready to go dual sporting and dont want to buy the wrong machine, because I doubt I will be able to afford a loss on a trade up or selling /buying a new one later. I realize its my choice in the end, but I value your input here. Speak your mind. I am not brand loyal. I think very highly of all of these machines.

bobbed06 screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 06:06 PM
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,938
I own a 525 KTM (dualsported), and a 650L.

If you EVER want to ride hard and fast or "do a 50 ft. tabletop" then you will never be happy with the 650L. It is a great bike up to a certain speed. Once you exceed its limits it will fight back and you will hate it.
I have never ridden the Husky. But I have heard it described as a really good XR. Still heavy and sluggish.
I have ridden many dualsport rides and the western TAT on my KTM. Even with dirt bagz, sheepskin seat cover and an acerbis 6.6 gallon tank it is still fun to ride hard and fast. Oil change will take 10 minutes. 5 if you are in a hurry. My biggest complaint is that it is noisy. Noisy motor, noisy exhaust. So I wear earplugs.
I am going to ride the continental divide trail in august. I am taking the 650L because it is quieter and more comfortable than the KTM, and I have read that the CD is an easy dirt roads ride. After the CD I will probably sell it, or trade for a KLR. Nothing wrong with the XRL, but I GREATLY prefer the KTM. For easy riding I think I would prefer the KLR ( I had one before) over the xr simply because it is shorter ,I got short legs, and it will carry more luggage.

If I had to choose just 1, it would be the KTM without question.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,793
lol, how in tha hell did a 650L get in there?

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
I own a 525 KTM (dualsported), and a 650L.

If you EVER want to ride hard and fast or "do a 50 ft. tabletop" then you will never be happy with the 650L. It is a great bike up to a certain speed. Once you exceed its limits it will fight back and you will hate it.
I have never ridden the Husky. But I have heard it described as a really good XR. Still heavy and sluggish.
I have ridden many dualsport rides and the western TAT on my KTM. Even with dirt bagz, sheepskin seat cover and an acerbis 6.6 gallon tank it is still fun to ride hard and fast. Oil change will take 10 minutes. 5 if you are in a hurry. My biggest complaint is that it is noisy. Noisy motor, noisy exhaust. So I wear earplugs.
I am going to ride the continental divide trail in august. I am taking the 650L because it is quieter and more comfortable than the KTM, and I have read that the CD is an easy dirt roads ride. After the CD I will probably sell it, or trade for a KLR. Nothing wrong with the XRL, but I GREATLY prefer the KTM. For easy riding I think I would prefer the KLR ( I had one before) over the xr simply because it is shorter ,I got short legs, and it will carry more luggage.

If I had to choose just 1, it would be the KTM without question.
Thank You for your input... I do feel the KTM will be the most fun once I get to the dirt. I do really like the new EXCR, I guess I am mainly scared of the price tag...Of course the prices are comparable to what a jap MX bike is nowadays, so I shouldnt weight that too much in my decision making process. The fact that a slip on and a jet kit brings them alive is a plus for sure, and saves 1200 bux on not buying a full pipe on a Husky TE630.. which makes the TE630 right at what the KTM costs on the sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
I guess its my safe side speaking to me...Regardless, I appreciate feedback both good and bad.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
My first thought. The XRL is not even on the same planet as the Husky or EXC. Hell, the only similarities are the fact that it has knobbies and a throttle.

If it were me I would get an 07 530 EXC, add an oil cooler and go to town. It will do anything you want it to do and be "stone axe" reliable. I would mention the shit-eating grin fun-factor, but I think you know about that already...
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Joelness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Laugh

I'm thinking 530 so you should too.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Yeah the 530 would be great riding it everyday to work. I hope he lives close to work.

I would have two different bikes to fit what is described. Having the right tires for each would make it worthwhile. I am always looking for a reason to buy another bike.

Mike
Old 06-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,618
If you are considering the 530 then why not the 570 FE Husaberg.

Doesn't need a pipe change, doesn't need jetting, has probably the best suspension out of all of them and can fit the 70 Degree tank under the seat for increased range. All it needs is it's wheels balanced for a smooth ride on the bitumen. Carries more oil than the KTM's so doesn't require the oil cooler/tank some fit to the KTM.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #9
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
My first thought. The XRL is not even on the same planet as the Husky or EXC. Hell, the only similarities are the fact that it has knobbies and a throttle.

I realize the XRL is the odd man out in this lineup. This bike is me realizing that all real off road duties will be handled by my YZ450, and the XRL being the useful practical tool in the daily use department.

If it were me I would get an 07 530 EXC, add an oil cooler and go to town. It will do anything you want it to do and be "stone axe" reliable. I would mention the shit-eating grin fun-factor, but I think you know about that already...
Nobody has any 07 525exc for sale that are properly priced on the East Coast. New is the only real choice for me and a KTM.

[QUOTE=Cigar Mike;16260760]Yeah the 530 would be great riding it everyday to work. I hope he lives close to work.

I would have two different bikes to fit what is described. Having the right tires for each would make it worthwhile. I am always looking for a reason to buy another bike.

Thanks Cigar Mike, I do live right in the middle of the city, so everything is close by. Very low mileage on a daily basis, just many short hops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post

Doesn't need a pipe change, doesn't need jetting, has probably the best suspension out of all of them and can fit the 70 Degree tank under the seat for increased range. All it needs is it's wheels balanced for a smooth ride on the bitumen. Carries more oil than the KTM's so doesn't require the oil cooler/tank some fit to the KTM.
I have found some deals on Husabergs, but they seem a bit too exotic for me. I dont understand why guys will sell them with 500 miles on them for $4,000 bux. I will look into them and see whats the general concensus. Thank You, I appreciate all of the feedback.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
To me, the TE630 and XRL are in a different category than the 530excr.. The KTM690 would be more comparable to the TE and XRL.. and really, a plated XR650R would be more comparable to the TE and 690.

This is how I would group the bikes (and this is just my opinion):

For mostly street and easy dirt:
XR650L, DR650, KLR

For a little less street, but more agressive dirt (but little single track):
TE610/630, KTM640/690, XR650R

For mostly dirt, including lots of single track:
KTM530/525exc, TE450/510, FE450/570

To me, those groupings aren't necessarily what the bikes are capable of, but more what's fun to do with the bikes.. i.e. you COULD ride a KLR on single track, but it probably wouldn't be much fun.. and you COULD ride a KTM530 down the interstate all day, but that wouldn't be much fun either.

I think you should be looking for something in the 2nd group personally, especially on the east coast.. I just think an EXC/TE/FE would be a waste. Just my opinion though
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid View Post
To me, the TE630 and XRL are in a different category than the 530excr.. The KTM690 would be more comparable to the TE and XRL.. and really, a plated XR650R would be more comparable to the TE and 690.

XR650L, DR650, KLR

To me, those groupings aren't necessarily what the bikes are capable of, but more what's fun to do with the bikes.. i.e. you COULD ride a KLR on single track, but it probably wouldn't be much fun.. and you COULD ride a KTM530 down the interstate all day, but that wouldn't be much fun either.

I think you should be looking for something in the 2nd group personally, especially on the east coast.. I just think an EXC/TE/FE would be a waste. Just my opinion though
+1

You do have a YZ450 why buy another one with a headlight and orange bodywork?
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid View Post

XR650L, DR650, KLR

Well put, +2
OCCR
--------------------------------
RacerXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
bobbed06 OP
Cavalera Conspirator

I had a 83 XL600 back in the day and I rode it on gnarly singletrack in West Virginia. Although it was a very bland ride that didnt do anything great, I was able to putt along and manage to get it everywhere I took my real bikes. I guess the lack of performance was trumped by the fact that I rarely maintained it or even washed it, and it rarely complained. I just wanted to add that bit of background to the mix which was probably why i still consider the current XRL a contender in my choices.

I move around alot and dont want a "converted bike" because you never know if the next state will revoke the tag so the XR650R is out.

I have been lurking around on the KTM690 thread and have noticed its definitely my kind of bike, although there seem to be quite a few issues with them so I got scared away. I think one guy was even considering parting one out after KTM jacked him around on alot of problems with his. If any of you have input on the 2011 KTM690 I am all ears. Maybe my concerns are regarding a lemon. Check this review out here on Thumpertalk.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ltr=K&t=689390

Electrical issues drive me nuts, and no dealer within 2.5 hours makes me the guy dealing with them.

That coupled with many of the guys saying how they prefer a 530EXCR along with the Adventure 950 as a stablemate was enough to sway me toward the 530EXCR plus its cheaper to purchase.

I do like the TE630 for everything except the $1200 pipe that is basically required for it to run properly and lose 15lbs of weight. The TE630 is a modern FI bike that I feel the most comfortable with in the reliability as its a proven bottom end in the 610.

The hard part for me in picking a bike is not knowing where I will end up living next. It seems that everytime I get situated and seem to have everything lined up properly, I get thrown off by a move and I end up selling everything at a loss.

I guess I just need a bike that can adapt to whatever I will do with it. This bike may end up in tight trails, commuting short hops (5miles round trip) and see many dirt roads (my favorite) I like exploring dirt roads probably the most of all, trails second, and commuting is the least favorite no matter what the bike.

I appreciate the input. I have been lurking for quite some time and cant believe I am so hesitant to make this purchase. I believe my main hang up is the fact that nobody rides off road when they live on the beach, thus making the casual test rides non existent for me. Maybe I need to start searching for dealer demos within a few hours of my house, so I can snag some seat time.

I did ride a 2010 Husky TXC450 and found it to be small and aggressive for what I was looking for. It felt like I was too big for it and the seat was like a mideviel torture device. My YZ450 feels better than that bike. Much better ergos than the Husky.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
LRPct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
610 or 630. Done.
LRPct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Dracothius
Berserker

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post

Why would you say this? What makes it the best?
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote