Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #76
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I agree completely there I'm a bigger guy tho, so the 250 just isn't enough for me as a dual-sport. But I don't see the need to have a street bike with aggressive tires and call it a dual sport. I bought my ds to ride in the dirt, and it has more power than I can use for that purpose. If I need to go fast on pavement I'll jump on my 270rwhp turbo zx14, or my busa, or even the drag gixxer 1100
Each machine has its purpose......for me, when I'm in the dirt I want a dirt bike, when I'm strictly street I want a street bike. My ds does an awesome job of comfortably getting me to the dirt, then acts like a real dirt bike when I get there
Bingo again
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #77
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoz View Post
Trust your instincts. The KLR is exactly as you found it, huge and heavy. Be aware of anybody claiming the KLR is as good as a DR or DRZ off road . Its not. I owned and '08 KLR and traded up to a DR650.

As a noob off road rider the DR650 and DRZ400 will be much more forgiving and 3 times as crash worthy. The DR and DRZ are also easier to work on than the 08+ KLR.

Look at it this way. If you are looking at Hiway and gravel roads the KLR is fine.

If you are planning on any offroad trails at all go DR650 or smaller. Maybe just look for a good used 250 dual purpose or DRZ400 and flog it for a year. You will know right away if you are an offroad guy or not.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #78
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
Now that I know your budget I would get a DRZ400S and adv farkle the crap out of it. If you put a scott dampner, small wind screen, racks, luggage, etc on there than you would have the best of both worlds. I wouldn't want to take a KLR on some of the trails I go on. Like others have posted if your doing a ton of road riding you already have the Ninja for that. Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt.
I hope you don't mind me stealing your awesome advice as my sig comment.....as you can see below I gave you full credit.....I just couldn't help it, it's so on the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
Bingo again
Why thank you Sir
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #79
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoz View Post
Trust your instincts. The KLR is exactly as you found it, huge and heavy. Be aware of anybody claiming the KLR is as good as a DR or DRZ off road . Its not. I owned and '08 KLR and traded up to a DR650.

As a noob off road rider the DR650 and DRZ400 will be much more forgiving and 3 times as crash worthy. The DR and DRZ are also easier to work on than the 08+ KLR.

Look at it this way. If you are looking at Hiway and gravel roads the KLR is fine.

If you are planning on any offroad trails at all go DR650 or smaller. Maybe just look for a good used 250 dual purpose or DRZ400 and flog it for a year. You will know right away if you are an offroad guy or not.
If he's a dirt newbie starting out on a KLR as his first dirt bike, the first time he hits real dirt, and has to spend the rest of the ride fighting the weight and struggling to stay up, he most likely won't be an off-road guy for long
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #80
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Man, I'd be looking at the WR250R. I had one, as my only steed, for quite some time. Many many 300 mile days, and over 500 miles on one occasion (Seat Concepts seat helped a lot). 70 mph was cake.

I sold it because for two up it was completely incompetent. Since selling it, my wife has ridden with me exactly twice, so I'm looking for another WR now

However, it might be worth mentioning this --- ditch the slab altogether and invest in a little hitch carrier or trailer. Drive your car/truck in comfort, then unload your dirt worthy small dual sport for some real fun off road. Then, when your exhausted, drive home in comfort in the vehicle again. Just a thought :)
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #81
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
I just bought my first dual sport bike - a xt250. Boy, I really thought I wanted a klr650, then I sat on one - that is one big friggin bike (and I'm 5/9). Now part of the problem is probably that I've been riding a Honda Rebel . Anyways, seat height and bike weight became important issues. I kept lurking around the forum and asking questions - finally I decided that learning on the xt250 would fit the bill (low seat and weight), it's basically the dual sport version of my rebel.

I haven't been on dirt yet , but I can't imagine learning with something I can't flat foot and have a hope of picking up. The bike runs 65 mph on the freeway (I've been commuting on it), but 70 with the dirt tires get a little too wobbly when you hit those parallel rain groove things. I'm planning on touring on mine so I can ride those dirt roads you come across and wonder where they go - I'm going to get the Happy Trails SU rack and tail rack to use with soft luggage until I can afford the aluminum boxes.

I'll probably ride it for a few years and then get something with bigger displacement - or not!

I too like riding the 55 - 60 mph highways. I'm a fatass and both my rebel and the yamaha are fine.

I did a 4200 mile trip on my rebel this summer (it will cruise happily at 70 on the freeway) - you can tour just fine on a 250

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #82
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,751
I'd take a look at a CRF250L if you haven't. It's the 230's big brother in almost every way, bigger engine, more power, fuel injected, better suspension, better brakes more ground clearance, etc. If that feels small, I'd definitely take a weekend trip to wherever you need to find a DRZ400 because I think that's probably a really nice bike for your size. Before I bought a bike I rented a CRF250X and felt it had too little power. I've met guys bigger than me though that ride 250s that like them.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #83
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I'd take a look at a CRF250L if you haven't. It's the 230's big brother in almost every way, bigger engine, more power, fuel injected, better suspension, better brakes more ground clearance, etc. If that feels small, I'd definitely take a weekend trip to wherever you need to find a DRZ400 because I think that's probably a really nice bike for your size. Before I bought a bike I rented a CRF250X and felt it had too little power. I've met guys bigger than me though that ride 250s that like them.
It's too bad that CRF250L is so heavy. I think Honda dropped the ball on that one. It weighs the same as a DRZ.
bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #84
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
I have a gen 1 KLR and a DRZ400E and a KDX200 in the dirt-worthy stable.

The KLR certainly isn't a dirt bike, but for long rides and self-supported trips, it will get you into surprising places. I wouldn't recommend it in the gnarly stuff unless you have considerable experience. I know guys that throw them around in the woods like masters, but they are big, tough farm boys and haven't been told otherwise. On surfaces like sand, you will feel every ounce of the bike's considerable heft. I wouldn't give mine up for anything, but you need to understand the niche the bike fits into. My longest tour this year was 3,500 miles camping out riding everything from super slab to ATV trails. I was glad for the range and comfort, but it was very hard work in places off-road. I know a lot of people with the Gen 2 KLRs. If you ride them in stock configuration in the woods, you will make hash of the bodywork. They are considerably more expensive to "harden" than the old ones.

The DRZ is far more competent on dirt, but much more tiring on the road. At 60-65 mph, it feels like it is screaming. I couldn't see riding it for more than a short trip two - up. As it was, I had to tweak the ergs considerably to make it fit my 6' 2" frame solo.

And then there's KDX. A real dirt bike. Mine's plated, but this is far from likely in most states. Miserable on pavement for more than short hops. Limited range. Minimal electrical system. However, get it into the woods, and you feel that your skills have jumped up two notches. Around 200 pounds less weight and almost the same power as the KLR makes a difference.

I've recently ridden a friend's XT225 and another friend's TW200. I certainly wouldn't discount the little bikes. The 225 made it from New York City to Vermont with full camping gear for a week-long expedition last fall. It's not overly powerful, but it is a real blast to ride. On anything but the super-slab, it keeps right up with the larger bikes, as was proved this past weekend. Slap a four-gallon tank on it, and this little bike has serious traveling legs.

I was surprised by the TW. I'd always regarded it as a sort of toy, until I ran a rock-garden section with inmate AtlasEXP about ten days ago. I was on the DRZ, and was getting thrown all over. Anton just hunkered down and gave the TW a little gas, and it crawled right up. For trail riding, the TW is a pretty surprising machine.

I think there's a lot of wisdom in picking a light bike for your first dual-sport forays. They can be purchased cheaply. They get fantastic mileage. If you want to move up in power, you'll have that opportunity later, when your skills are ready for it.

Once you get a taste of dual sporting, riding on the slab may have less and less fascination for you.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #85
Johnny Tarr OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Ok guys, after a lot of research and taking all of your recommendations to heart, I've decided that I can't decide. When money permits, I'll be getting both a DR650 and a KLX250s. As someone in the thread pointed out, I'm asking way too much from one bike.

Or maybe I'll just get the DRZ400. I've never been this indecisive about anything.

Johnny Tarr screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 02:07 PM
Johnny Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #86
TheDoubleD
TheDoubleD

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Tarr View Post
Ok guys, after a lot of research and taking all of your recommendations to heart, I've decided that I can't decide. When money permits, I'll be getting both a DR650 and a KLX250s. As someone in the thread pointed out, I'm asking way too much from one bike.

Or maybe I'll just get the DRZ400. I've never been this indecisive about anything.
As long as you are riding; that is what matters.
TheDoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #87
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoubleD View Post
As long as you are riding; that is what matters.
This.

There is no "wrong" bike
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #88
tnktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Tall seat, bar risers, and shock spring for your weight would solve the "too small" problem (usually).
tnktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #89
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Seat height on the XR650L is 37"
Nice bike though.
That might be the published seat height. But I just rode an XR650L back to back with my 640E over the weekend. The XR650L was no where near as tall as my LC4 and seems to carry its extra bulk down lower. My LC4E is significantly lighter but the Honda feels about the same when you ride because of that. Maybe not when you pick it up off the ground.

But seat of the pants makes it seem smaller and about the same weight. I can almost flat foot both feet on that bike. I am 6'2" 190 pounds and the XR650L rider is a good deal bigger and taller than I. But that XR650L fits both us very well and it has enough power to keep my 640 in sight even with the larger rider. Seems like a good choice for what the OP described.

No matter what, I just can't see buying 300 pound 250's for big guys when a few extra pounds buys so much more power. They just don't have the steam especially with XL and XXL sized riders aboard. The two skinny guys on a DR350 and a TTR250 were always way back in the dust last weekend even chasing us supersized 650 riders.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 03:40 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #90
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The two skinny guys on a DR350 and a TTR250 were always way back in the dust last weekend even chasing us supersized 650 riders.
In my experience, if the two of you had swapped rides with the skinny guys, the result would have been the same.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote