Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #91
phoneman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Drz400s and a weestrom--have it both ways. And maybe your dealer will give you a discount
phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #92
hubb255
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I am a KTM guy but you will find everyone will stick with their own bikes. I fit on my 640E and I only have a 28 inch inseam. Like alot of inmates have said, gotta know what kind of riding you want to do. Both the KLR and the DR, DRZ have just tons of people that love them. You tube either bike and you will find guys doing things from riding the Ho-Chi-Min trail (Highly suggested video) to jumping clear across roads on a KLR. You will change as your skill level does. What you will come to understand is its the rider that makes the biggest difference. Any decent bike out there will do way more than you want to try right now. I've ridden some fast street bikes and have come closer to soiling my britches doing 45 mph in the dirt. I would hate to have you ride a bike down there and go off road and get bummed out because you can't hang with someone. As long as you have good tires and maybe take a bigger sprocket with you, the rest is you. Have fun and build your skills.
hubb255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #93
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,377
Make it easy on yourself, get whatever bike you can find a great deal on used, ride it a year then trade for something else.
If you get a good deal, you can ride for free other then the price of gas and tires.

I got a $1500.00 DR650, then a $900.00 TW200, both had very low miles, and I actually made money on the TW!
Both were very fun bikes to ride, but in different ways.

Let the great deal decide what you get.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #94
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,347
Not too hard really,,

Show up at yer local ADV weelky meet-up, or an ADV rally, and ride a DRZ400,and a DR60, and the yamaha 250R and a lot of other bikes your friends will have,,
I felt the KLX to be nearly as tall as my KLR, but it settled down more with my 210lb weight. Test rides, even around the block, are a better indicator of what you feel will fit you. For my 2 cents, check out the dr650,,shorter seat height than the KLR, great bike!,,,If I were shorter than 6'4", I'd have the DR over the KLR, but the DR and the DRZ are a bit too short for my gangly arms and legs.
That said, I love my KLR,,and shorter legged folks than you ride them! Gurls even!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #95
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
Did my first dirt road ride today - if you haven't ridden dirt before, really think about getting a shorter bike to begin with. You can read my embarrassing moment at the "first ride in the dirt" post. Or maybe I'm just a total klutz!!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #96
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb Just do it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Tarr View Post
Ok guys, after a lot of research and taking all of your recommendations to heart, I've decided that I can't decide. When money permits, I'll be getting both a DR650 and a KLX250s. As someone in the thread pointed out, I'm asking way too much from one bike.

Or maybe I'll just get the DRZ400. I've never been this indecisive about anything.
Don't overthink it too much...whatever bike you get you'll adjust to and have a ball on......I guarantee it Riding is just plain fun, no matter what particular form of 2 wheels yer on
That being said, for a new dirt rider smaller is better......you'll get hurt less and have more fun on a smaller, more manageable machine. The DRZ400 is prolly going to be your best bet.....it'll be a good bike to handle the road work, a good size to learn on, and you won't outgrow it (at least not too quickly ) And remember you can always get another bike once you find out what you really want out of a machine. Just buy a good used DRZ and have some fun. Once you get some seat time you'll be a much better rider, and you'll know the kind of bike you really need.

You know you have to start somewhere right?