User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
dankatz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
What boots?

OK, so most of my riding is street riding, rain or shine. I have sporty riding boots for my daily commute, Sidi Fusion Rain. I bought a dual purpose bike to venture off road occasionally and am planning a trip with friends in Costa Rica for 8 days that would involve a fair bit of off road riding, though nothing too technical as a number of us are newbies. I am considering investing in a good dual purpose boot and narrowed down to Sidi Adventure Rain/Goretex, Gaerne balance oil and Sidi Discovery rain. My foot is on the narrow side for a guy. I like the fit of my current Sidi. What would you guys recommend for a mix of on road and off road riding and why?
Wife likes the Gaerne the most...;-)
I would need to order online to get these boots. Interestingly, FC moto has the Adventure Goretex for the same price as the other boots are here in the states...

OK, So also am interested in the Forma Adventure boots.

1. Sidi Adventure rain or goretex
2. Sidi Discovery Rain
3. Gaerne balance oil
4. Forma Adventure

Pros/Cons of each? I am somewhere between a 42-43, usually size 9 US (though Sidi Fusion 43/9.5 fits me well) with a slightly narrow foot

dankatz screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 07:37 PM Reason: Added Forma Adventure boots
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 979
In 36 years of riding, the Gaerne Balance Oiled are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Totally waterproof, tough as nails, and they look good.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
wide feet

I wear a mens 11.5 EEE.
any suggestions for a leather, gortex, waterproff boot?

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Gaerne G-Midlands!

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_351.html

Check out the video review as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
the Gaerne Balance Oiled are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Totally waterproof, tough as nails, and they look good.

I love mine.

Not only great for riding, but good to walk in, which is important to me.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
sloukes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The TCX Infinity is the best boot i've ever owned.

http://www.ride.co.uk/upload/Ride%20...oot%20test.pdf

Steve
sloukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
I just bought a pair of boot and went through a lot of considerations you are. I chose the Sidi Adventure rain because it offers a LOT of protection. My foot it not narrow and it was a little snug in a 44 but too big in a 45. Even being a bit big, it was still quite comfortable.

I owned that boot for exactly one day. Fortunately, I didn't scuff them and the store took them back. In spite of my long consideration, I had not realized how bad they would bother me. While they are robust, stiff, tall and sturdy, they are also like having ski boots on when walking. They are so stiff that I had to lift my foot in order to downshift. They were loud when walking. They were just too big and bulky.

Now, if I were riding off road a fair amount, they would have been perfect. The truth is, I am a commuter who occasionally goes off road. I wanted a boot that would offer serious protection for my limited off-road riding but I also wanted something I could wear on a daily commute and even leave on if I went to my daughter's softball game. The Sidi boots compromised too much in terms of daily comfort.

The boots I now have are the BMW Santiago which costs almost exactly the same as the Sidis. They are tall, waterproof, fairly stiff and offer good protection. They are more bulky than the All-Around boots they replaced but not nearly as bad as the Sidi. No, they would not be as good in a real single track ride, but for the lighter duty use that I would do on my GSA, they are about perfect. A size 44 is only slightly snug and they are breaking in nicely. I am a real fan of these boots now.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
The Gaerne Balance Oiled are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Totally waterproof, tough as nails, and they look good.
X3, love mine. FWIW, I use the Fox Comp 5S Shorties for around town and whatnot, very comfy on and off the bike, but the Gaernes go on when I leave the city.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
macintosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
OK, So also am interested in the Forma Adventure boots.
Generally Formas are good but sadly can not recommed them if you plan ride in rain as well. They will keep your feet a bit damp in light rain and will give up after more serius showers. Also protection is not best you are looking for that kind of boots. Shifter is wearing slowly hole into boot. If you are looking bright side then they are comfortable for all day long wearing.

I would go with Sidi Discovery boots, they have very favorable reviews. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...idi-discovery/
macintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Gaerne boots. The SG-10's. I also have Scouts a few weeks ago I crashed. The F800GS crunched my left foot. I dislocated my big toe and fractured 3 bones in my foot. If I was wearing the Alpine Star Scouts and not the motor cross style and protection of the Gaerne I would have needed metal in my foot. I got off lucky. The Gaerne are articulate, easy to shift. But are hinged and tough, and armoured. Your foot is a complex joint, don't fuck it up with shit boots.

Nacho911 screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 11:11 AM
Nacho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 258
Since I got my 1150GSA I wanted all the protection I could get, imagining the fat pig falling on my foot. I also wanted waterproofing and to be able to walk on them. My choice was the Sidi adventure boot (not the Goretex, not available at the time).

Protection: very good, I like the exposed hard plastic pieces. Crashed hard on them, boot was a little scuffed and that´s it, feet and legs were in great shape.
Waterproofing: nothing to complain about, many showers and puddles, dry feet.
Walking around: very comfortable once broken in, but very noisy still today, after two years. Tried many things: WD-40, leather softeners, oil, nothing seems to work. Does not bother me anymore, unless I have to walk into a hospital, library or silent hotel lobby: prepare to be shushed!
Size: I use 9.5 sneakers, bought 9.5 US 43 EUR. Fit snug enough to make me judge the sock´s thickness. Perhaps should have gone half a size larger for comfort, but snug has its advantages as well. No chaffing, better sensitivity, etc. Your call.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider View Post
I wear a mens 11.5 EEE.
any suggestions for a leather, gortex, waterproff boot?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Boots.aspx

This is a street boot. May not be the best, but is far from the worst. I normally wear a 12 EEE, went with their size 13. Slightly snug on the width, very comfortable and so far so good. It has done everything I have asked. They seem to be pretty good on the waterproofing, and have done very well so far, but I ride a bike with floor boards so that does help also. I can also walk for hours in these without any drama.
I suggest you try before you buy, but MC Superstore seems to have a decent return policy as long as you don't mark the product.

Good luck, MC boots for wide feet are scarce.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
I like these a lot.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Tex-Boots.aspx
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,078
honestly, I've been very happy with a pair of non-motorcycle specific boots. These steel-toe, water resistant (I swear they're water proof) Wolverine work boots have served me well.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
Marc LaDue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Scout

I've found the Alpinestars Scout very comfortable from day one, although I must admit I haven't had the opportunity (oh darn) to see if they're as watertight as advertised,

LaDue
Marc LaDue is offline   Reply With Quote