User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
OzSteve OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
First Taste of the NSW High Country

So...what do you do when you have a long weekend, no work on and a nice new DR650? Easy, come to Canberra and ride the high country. The weekend was shaping up to be wet with Friday and Saturday seeing between 20-40mm of rain it wasnt looking good. Come Sunday morning the weather had cleared, the air was cool and we had a couple of hundred kilometers to cover.

Brian had travelled down from north west NSW for the weekend and was eager to see a bit of the country that wasnt flat. I think we could accommodate his request as Im sure theres a spare hill or two out back.

We needed a destination. I?m not sure exactly why. Personally I think it was just a good excuse to find a pub and have a beer. I?m not one to argue. So we set off down the Brindabella to Tumut road in search of the Ori pub at Tumut and cold beer. The road conditions were looking pretty good and the roads were open noting the dump of snow further south the previous night.

The track was remarkably dry. There was only 600kms on the new girl and I recon we would go pretty close to cracking 1000kms by the time we got home. It was panning out to be a great day to get familiar with the new bike.

We strapped the Wolfman luggage on to see how it would go. I had only seen pictures of the Wolfman luggage and was a bit skeptical but after seeing them I think I might look to get myself a set. They had a fair bit of room in each bag and tied down quite neatly. Theyre a bit expensive but seem to be pretty good quality and they stayed on which is always good.

We powered along the track, through the Brindabella valley, and on to the high country towards Tumut. The black top stretched out to meet us about 40kms out of Tumut. The wind was howling and the air temp seemed to drop dramatically as we sat on 100kms per hour through the twisting road. A quick flick of the switch and the heated grips kicked in. Bliss.

We rolled in to the Oriental pub pretty cold and thirsty. I was looking forward to a steak sandwitch and a cold beer. Flawed logic I know but as I said Im not one to argue. The Ori put on a great feed and as expected the beers were cold. Leaving the pub wasnt easy, fire was going, beers were flowing and the footy grand final was on that night. It would have been a little too easy to settle in for the afternoon, evening, early morning... shall I go on?

We finally picked our selves up and poked off back along the tar towards Canberra heading for the Flea Creek turn off. A quick stop gave us a good excuse to break in to the emergency jelly snakes. Family pack, never know when you might break down and need food. Man must be prepared.

We pulled up at the Flea Creek turn off and had a quick drink. The road leading down to the camp site is somewhat steep and would be a good challenge for Brian. This was certainly far hillier than what is on offer out west.

Brian made it down without too much effort and was rewarded with a look around the Flea Creek camp ground. Just before we started the decent the scream of an engine came towards us. Coming towards us was a Hyundi Excel with a P plate on the front. I asked the bloke where he thought he was going, hed just tried to go down the hill towards the camp ground. Not surprising he didnt make it too far before having to turn around.

Leaving Flea Creek, Brian got to do his first creek crossing which is always fun. I had the camera on the ready but to my disappointment he didnt drop it in the drink.
From here we wound our way up the track towards two sticks fire trail. The track was challenging in parts and the views out over the surrounding valleys was certainly worthwhile.
Two sticks fire trail took us back around to the north and as we wound our way down the mountain again the views were spectacular. The sun light was fading fast and the cool mountain air was starting to get a bit chilly. We had a way to go and it was apparent we were going to be getting home in the dark.

After a few close encounters of the Kangaroo kind we made it down through the farms and back out on to the main drag. We rolled back in to my place with 978kms on Brians bike. So close to cracking a grand mate! Home just in time to pour a whiskey and to catch the end of the NRL grand final. What a great day.
OzSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Russ

Oddometer: 15,472
Great pics and RR
We were also down that way it was a great weekend for a ride
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote