ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley
 
madeouttaglass's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: California bound but stuck in NY for now
Oddometer: 3,412
There's a shaft drive Transalp just waiting to come out of that bike. Check out the Transalp thread for more ideas.
__________________
Our ride across the USA on a Ural Gear Up- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me
 
pennswoodsed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Reading,Pa
Oddometer: 709
What he said !

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
There's a shaft drive Transalp just waiting to come out of that bike. Check out the Transalp thread for more ideas.
I thought of this ,just don't have the bike or space ,yet .
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
motomike14
Thumper Crusader
 
motomike14's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,710
Honda made the XL750V for foreign markets, which for all intensive purposes, was a shaft drive transalp. Once in a blue moon, one in the states pops up. Stunning bike that was about 30 years ahead of its time.
__________________
"The bold adventurer succeeds the best.” - Ovid

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley
 
madeouttaglass's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: California bound but stuck in NY for now
Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
Honda made the XL750V for foreign markets, which for all intensive purposes, was a shaft drive transalp. Once in a blue moon, one in the states pops up. Stunning bike that was about 30 years ahead of its time.
Wow, you weren't kidding. Look at this red, white and blue one I found when I googled XL750V. It reminds me of a 1985 Interceptor or some smaller XLs of the era. Very nice indeed.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...EwAA&dur=11999
__________________
Our ride across the USA on a Ural Gear Up- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #20
garandman
Beastly Adventurer
 
garandman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Dorchester, MA / Goshen, NH
Oddometer: 6,027
Converting bikes always costs more than just buying one, and when you go to sell it you'll have a bunch of money you'll never see again.

Windshield, bags, heated grips, call it a day and go ride.
__________________
2012 WR250R, 2009 TW200, 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS, 2008 CRF100F

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #21
Dansk OP
Adventurer
 
Dansk's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Solviet Socialist Repunlic of Boston Mass.
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Converting bikes always costs more than just buying one, and when you go to sell it you'll have a bunch of money you'll never see again.

Windshield, bags, heated grips, call it a day and go ride.
Oh I've been down that road.
Haven't we all.
Invested $3k into my Multistrada. when the time came to sell It only made it easier to sell for a couple of hundred over premium . It translated to a $4k loss.
I pd $1100 for the Ascot which I thought was too much but it did have a legit 3200 original miles.
I've spent a lot of time cleaning her up and performing some basic neglected maintenance. But not much money.
All I'm really thinking about changing are things that could use replacing.
Tires; So maybe some mild DS tires would be nice. (proving to be difficult )
Head
bearings, Why not do progressive springs and fork seals while in there.
Windshield; (Hellfire) it came will probably do. I cut & lowered it due to the VT's high headlight.
Bags; Saddle, tail & Tank. got em.
Heated grips and Hand guards; they're on my list.
MSR 30 oz emergency fuel tank. I have a 130 mi range to reserve. But mpg has never fell below 60.
I don't want to turn it into a Dual Sport, just Adventure Bike-ish while spending as little as necessary.
But boy have some of your suggestions got me thinking.
__________________
Dan,AKA Bikernut.
83 VT500F Ascot.

06
Multi 620 (sold).
99 Klr 650
(sold).
Dansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #22
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.
 
Mr Grumpy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal QC Canada.
Oddometer: 102
Suzuki VX800?
__________________
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Uncle.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #23
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansk View Post
What street bike, in your imagination/opinion would you use to make yourself an economical dual road 90/10 Adventure tour bike?
I'm sure this can be done to many bikes but I'm wondering what might be a good platform to start with?
ever heard of The Loser?

Geek was given this bike back when he had no money...and it got him all over Colorado.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596095

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=loser







__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansk View Post
What street bike, in your imagination/opinion would you use to make yourself an economical dual road 90/10 Adventure tour bike?
I'm sure this can be done to many bikes but I'm wondering what might be a good platform to start with?

At present I'm playing with a lightweight Ascot VT500F due to it's rock solid reliability reputation and it's lack of resale respect. Pd $1000.for a clean 3500 mile example and it came with the front crash guard.
It has 6" of front shock travel, 7+" of ground clearance, and an ok rear wheel travel of 4.5" that I hope can be improved. minimally obtrusive water cooling, a 6 spd,w/ shaft drive and a somewhat spirited motor that gives me an mpg figure solidly in the 60's.
Only drawback is the 2.5 gal tank...
Of course I'll be adding hand guards, lighting and heated grips, (370watt alternator) a small windshield and the 3 bag luggage.and finally 80/20-90/10 DS tires.
Before I go too far is there a better equally affordable base bike I should be looking at for a comfortable lightweight touring adventure style.
Your opinions are needed.
I have a soft spot for the Suzuki GS500E.I own six of them.I picked one up a few years back for $150.It had been wrecked and didn't run.It looks like hell but I have a stock pile of parts that I have acquired over the years.It helps that I work on them for others. I upgrade my daily rider which frees up some already rebuilt or good used parts.I have been keeping a running tally of my rebuild.So far I am going to come in around $1000 to $1200 when finished.The bike had 1865 miles when it was wrecked and put out to pasture.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #25
Dansk OP
Adventurer
 
Dansk's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Solviet Socialist Repunlic of Boston Mass.
Oddometer: 19
The GS500 has always caught my attention due to it being as close to a pure motorcycle as they come, aftermarket support, and of course affordable entry fee! Cafe', sport standard, sport tourer or naked they always set my imagination on fire.
Yours in particular is sweet ant typical of what I imagine mine could be if bought.

I just never knew if they were rugged enough for Adventure bike duty?
As to the Ascot
Thanks to the list of links in the previous post by Blakebird,
I've been reading for a day now (looks like another day is needed) about the life of the Looser.
I'm learning all about the truly amazing places that bike has been to and what it has been through.but can't seem to find much about what was done to it mechanically. The obvious cosmetics are seen. but mechanically ie. were the front springs replaced?, Rear Shocks, red Rear shocks look like Progressive 13 series which start at 15" replacing the stock 14.25", and effect.
Tire sizes that were used, fit, problems,etc.
At one point a notchy steering head was adj/fixed. Didn't mention whether it resulted in an adjustment or replacing the bearings and races or just the top ball bearing? (cheaper and easier!) ?

I'm really not a Mizar and my past owned bike history and things done to them is proof of that.
I'm just an incurable two wheel fanatic/mechanic that happens to be broke at this time so it's time to get creative in these situations.
For instance rather than send my seat to Sargent, I tore off its cover, gouged out and re contoured a nice bucket spray adhesive-d some foam bits ant took an electric knife to some bits. Something for some reason, I wouldn't think of doing to a new expensive bike.
Honestly being poor makes many decisions easier.
Often, surprisingly, more fun and satisfying.
__________________
Dan,AKA Bikernut.
83 VT500F Ascot.

06
Multi 620 (sold).
99 Klr 650
(sold).

Dansk screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 05:00 AM
Dansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #26
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansk View Post
The GS500 has always caught my attention due to it being as close to a pure motorcycle as they come, aftermarket support, and of course affordable entry fee! Cafe', sport standard, sport tourer or naked they always set my imagination on fire.
Yours in particular is sweet ant typical of what I imagine mine could be if bought.

I just never knew if they were rugged enough for Adventure bike duty?
As to the Ascot
Thanks to the list of links in the previous post by Blakebird,
I've been reading for a day now (looks like another day is needed) about the life of the Looser.
I'm learning all about the truly amazing places that bike has been to and what it has been through.but can't seem to find much about what was done to it mechanically. The obvious cosmetics are seen. but mechanically ie. were the front springs replaced?, Rear Shocks, red Rear shocks look like Progressive 13 series which start at 15" replacing the stock 14.25", and effect.
Tire sizes that were used, fit, problems,etc.
At one point a notchy steering head was adj/fixed. Didn't mention whether it resulted in an adjustment or replacing the bearings and races or just the top ball bearing? (cheaper and easier!) ?

I'm really not a Mizar and my past owned bike history and things done to them is proof of that.
I'm just an incurable two wheel fanatic/mechanic that happens to be broke at this time so it's time to get creative in these situations.
For instance rather than send my seat to Sargent, I tore off its cover, gouged out and re contoured a nice bucket spray adhesive-d some foam bits ant took an electric knife to some bits. Something for some reason, I wouldn't think of doing to a new expensive bike.
Honestly being poor makes many decisions easier.
Often, surprisingly, more fun and satisfying.
My bike hasn't looked like that since I got six years ago.That pic is pre mod era.A GS would hold up.The forks could be upgraded for gravel running.If you were to go on some rough single track,I'd suggest bigger forks or true dirt bike forks.My bike pictured above,now has a Katana 750 front end that I modified and installed with the help of a friend.It is my daily rider and only occasionally sees a gravel road.


For those that aren't familiar with my bike,more info is on my blog about my build.My blog is below.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014