ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #31
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 263
Thrum....I like that...a perfect word to describe.

I wear a Schuberth and much improved but at this time I still get the air stream right at mid shield.

6-0' 32inch inseam....inches matter:)
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 457
Well, the 1200GS is going to get more than a fair shake. I'm flying out to Connecticut on business travel on Nov. 6th, and I'm renting a 1200GS from Jupiter's MC rentals, instead of the typical corporate econobox. I'll have it for a couple days, including a couple 2 hour trips (from/to) NYC. I may go seek out some roads less traveled after working hours each day.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #33
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 263
MotorCade.

Hope you make it back...you know...reliability, complexity, and all:)
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #34
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post

If I had to buy one, with my stated goal of a commuter bike – It’s not an easy decision.
Why are you considering a "giant trailie" as a "commuter"?

Why not the Triumph Tiger 800 or BMW GS 800, if you're wanting some sort of ADVcommuter?

You just tested three touring bikes for commuter duty. Not sure I understand your thinking...

Oh, buy the Guzzi.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #35
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 457
I've already got two mid-size bikes that can do serious adventure duty. I'm not sure I'm going to buy anything at this point, but if I do, it's going to be a 'big' bike that can handle two-up better than the 'fant, considering that I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'10". I also really want something with low maintenance and a shaft drive. If any of the 800s had a shaft drive, I'd be all over them.

I'm not really into sport-tourers, just a personal preference thing.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #36
VetMXR
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 71
"I'm flying out to Connecticut on business travel on Nov. 6th, and I'm renting a 1200GS from Jupiter's MC rentals, instead of the typical corporate econobox."

Bring your electrics! It's down in the 30's now on my morning rides into the office!
__________________
VetMXR
2012 KTM 990 Adventure R
2007 CRF450X Plated (Dirt & Sumo)
1999 Vulcan Drifter 1500
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469494
VetMXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #37
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
it's going to be a 'big' bike that can handle two-up better than the 'fant, considering that I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'10". I also really want something with low maintenance and a shaft drive.
Buy the Guzzi.

__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #38
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,346
i must say (since this is a forum), that i'm really surprised as to how many of you are eager to hear the op's ride thoughts of the GS.....aside from the current model being two years old, the platform is many years older, and maybe one of the most talked about bikes at this website. like Sock, i've owned a Stelvio, a couple of GS bikes (cam/hex), and Multistradas as well, and would say that if the OP is wanting a shaft drive, to wait out the new (and improved in my mind) '13 GS that should arrive early next year, i think it's going to be a hecuva ride .

regards,
__________________
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #39
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetMXR View Post
"I'm flying out to Connecticut on business travel on Nov. 6th, and I'm renting a 1200GS from Jupiter's MC rentals, instead of the typical corporate econobox."

Bring your electrics! It's down in the 30's now on my morning rides into the office!
Electrics? What are those? I ride Elefants!


I do appreciate the travel advisory - I'll layer up and pick up a pair of cold-weather gloves. I don't own any electric gear, sadly.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #40
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 457
Ok, Rocker, ok! I'm leaning that direction, honestly.

I'm going to give the older GS a try on the trip, and since I'm in no hurry, I'll see if I can test the 2013 GS. It might be out of my price range, though.

Cheers!
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #41
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982
 
switchback's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: SLC, UT
Oddometer: 1,484
With the exception of the KTM and Multistrada the rest of the large ADV tourers are so close that preference related to street/dirt bias, ergonomics, engine type, maintenance play a large role. I will also say that an hour test ride will not tell you enough to determine what your real preference is and unfortunately unless you find things that are really wrong for you you are SOL regarding a meaningful decision. I am just over 5k into my Tenere ownership and it took a 2k mile tour to decide that this bike rocks on rough dirt roads and is an outstanding tourer. The miles also told me that while nearly as quick my Multistrada is a far more exciting commuter. The initial deciding factor for me came down to the low maintenance requirements on the Yamaha, and my disdain for BMW/Triumph dealers. The nearest Guzzi is hundreds of miles away so that was not an option. I do miss the original Stelvio design, it had a definite appreciation of a part of the female anatomy.
__________________
David

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #42
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way
 
RideDualSport.com's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Texas at large.
Oddometer: 1,427
Motorcade, thank you for your thoughtful and interesting overview of the big ADV bike - and their comparison to your Elefants. I have always been into Italian bikes and Buells because of their uniqueness. Resurrecting my brothers 1985 Ninja 900 got me interested in trying out a new Ninja 1000 and I bought one. It has more character than I expected and is a stellar motorcycle. However, 13,000 miles later - I am probably going to sell it, and buy a new Stelvio.
I have an 1100 mile round trip stretch of 85 mph Interstate to ride to our place in West Texas, which is near a lot of wide smooth gravel roads which lead into New Mexico. My last 2400 mile ride there was awesome on the Ninja, but my body took a good beating on the 1100 miles of Interstate, due to heavy cross winds. I arrived home pretty exhausted with sore shoulders, numbness in my wrists, and neck pain.
The Stelvio should give me the comfort and wind protection I seek and be a fine bike for wide smooth gravel roads and perform like a sport touring bike on the twisty paved roads.
Thank you for your insight on the Stelvio!
__________________
"Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin"
The RideDualSport Forum
Mountain State Super Tenere Adventure
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #43
richtidebruin
Lurking since 2003..
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Middle TN
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
Ok, Rocker, ok! I'm leaning that direction, honestly.

I'm going to give the older GS a try on the trip, and since I'm in no hurry, I'll see if I can test the 2013 GS. It might be out of my price range, though.

Cheers!
Thanks for the review of your personal experience on these bikes. I just tested the 2013 GS this week, though I only put 20 miles or so on it. At 5'10' and 170, I'm considerably smaller than many with these big shaft-drive bikes, so my perspective my be somewhat different.

Coming from a 990 (and Wee before that), I liked the low rpm refinement and stability at highway speeds (felt slower than reality) of the new GS. Also I liked its manners when faced with moderately high crosswinds. It did feel considerably lighter than I anticipated and it's a bike I could quickly acclimate to. But I've never ridden the old GS, or others in the group reviewed based on size (mine and the bikes) -- felt like I didn't want to muscle around so much bike, especially if I got it off-road.

All in all, I really like the new GS, though it didn't feel "perfect" -- and I still have more interest in it than I ever have before. But I keep thinking that for me, the cost of the WC GS relative to the competition - which (for me) includes the GS 800 and 800XC, and maybe even back to a 990 - doesn't justify the extra smiles. So, I'm willing to wait to test the 1190 whenever it gets here. Maybe that's the best of both worlds (less weight, less cost, more refinement).... Or, it may be that the narrowness and lighter weight of the 990, 800, and XC just fits me better. Finally, the practical side of me says I can have just as good an experience -- if not better -- for thousands less. All that to say, even with a wide price range, the cost is still a factor for most of us -- especially if it doesn't feel like the "perfect" bike. On the other hand, if (insert brand and model here) fits YOU "perfect", the cost is IMO justifiable.
richtidebruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #44
vivo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 93
Regarding cost of a bike and ownership cost, I agree for me it matters. The Multi and the GS are expensive bikes and ownership costs aren't cheap either. I picked the Stelvio NTX because it has everything in a package and it felt like value. The Triumph Explorer was considered but sitting on it felt top heavy to me. I had Guzzis before and so knew I would enjoy the feel of the bike but if it cost the same with no panniers, lights, crash bars, sump protection, hand guards, no abs, no traction control, extra for on board computer, then I would not have considered it.

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #45
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtidebruin View Post
Thanks for the review of your personal experience on these bikes. I just tested the 2013 GS this week, though I only put 20 miles or so on it. At 5'10' and 170, I'm considerably smaller than many with these big shaft-drive bikes, so my perspective my be somewhat different.

Coming from a 990 (and Wee before that), I liked the low rpm refinement and stability at highway speeds (felt slower than reality) of the new GS. Also I liked its manners when faced with moderately high crosswinds. It did feel considerably lighter than I anticipated and it's a bike I could quickly acclimate to. But I've never ridden the old GS, or others in the group reviewed based on size (mine and the bikes) -- felt like I didn't want to muscle around so much bike, especially if I got it off-road.

All in all, I really like the new GS, though it didn't feel "perfect" -- and I still have more interest in it than I ever have before. But I keep thinking that for me, the cost of the WC GS relative to the competition - which (for me) includes the GS 800 and 800XC, and maybe even back to a 990 - doesn't justify the extra smiles. So, I'm willing to wait to test the 1190 whenever it gets here. Maybe that's the best of both worlds (less weight, less cost, more refinement).... Or, it may be that the narrowness and lighter weight of the 990, 800, and XC just fits me better. Finally, the practical side of me says I can have just as good an experience -- if not better -- for thousands less. All that to say, even with a wide price range, the cost is still a factor for most of us -- especially if it doesn't feel like the "perfect" bike. On the other hand, if (insert brand and model here) fits YOU "perfect", the cost is IMO justifiable.

^^ This.

I'm the same size. That's why I liked the 800XC so much better than the bigger bikes. It's got the perfornance, but it's a lighter slimmer package.

I've always said, if you're a great big guy then those are the bikes that fit. I know lots of GS owners that are way over 6' and way over 200lbs. Some them are very muscular as well, so they are able to throw those bikes around like I do my 800.

I feel the same way about dualsports and dirtbikes. A 250 works really well for me, but a big guy is going to like a 450/525 size bike better.

I think I'd still like to have a Stelvio though.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014