Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #46
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Regarding cost of a bike and ownership cost, I agree for me it matters. The Multi and the GS are expensive bikes and ownership costs aren't cheap either. I picked the Stelvio NTX because it has everything in a package and it felt like value. The Triumph Explorer was considered but sitting on it felt top heavy to me. I had Guzzis before and so knew I would enjoy the feel of the bike but if it cost the same with no panniers, lights, crash bars, sump protection, hand guards, no abs, no traction control, extra for on board computer, then I would not have considered it.
Excellent observations! I too do consider the cost of ownership and part of keeping that cost low is doing all my own maintenance, not to mention its an enjoyable hobby for me. Guzzi's simple valve adjustment routine is a big selling point to me, and I would even purchase the equipment to sync the throttle bodies and do a TPS reset. Buells are one of my favorites because of they don't require valve adjustments and have a belt drive.
While checking out the new Stelvio, I also felt it is a great value because, as far as I could tell, there was not a single upgrade I would have to make to it to improve my comfort and off-road protection for the bike.
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #47
Oca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
MC, I purchased the burnt orange Stelvio NTX from TO on Tuesday (5/1).

I traded in an '06 Breva 1100.

No complaints. I find keeping the screen at its lowest point and no buffeting.

I am 5'11" with 33" inseam. Getting on the bike is a new experience for me.

The panniers are high, but I have the technique down. My wife, who pillions with me, does not have a problem getting on the bike with the panniers.

As Rocker 59 said "buy the Guzzi."

By the way, where in Simi are you? I am in the Santa Rosa Valley.
Oca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #48
sunset_ryder
aka "toots"

Oddometer: 505
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, it's what makes this forum such a great place.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #49
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Thanks to the OP for a very well written comparison. It was not too long at all. I enjoyed the detail and thought out observations. Too many magazine reviews these days are less than a page with a few thumbs up or down. Go back and read a CycleWorld from the '70s, 3-4 page reviews, that's more like it.

I have been going through this very selection process for the past 2 years now while riding a Vstrom 1k as my "baseline". I test rode the GSA, a couple Stelvios, 4 different Teneres, a Multistrada, and the Triumph Explorer, Tiger 800XC and 800 std.

I agree the Tenere has been refined almost too much. While it's a very good bike and extremely capable, I always felt a little disconnected while riding it, kinda like a video game. I think some of that can be corrected but it's just the impression I got each time. The Explorer was a little the same way and the front end was a little skittish, not planted feeling. The Multistrada stands out as a superior sport bike, wow. If it had shaft drive..... hmm. Yes, I want shaft drive period. I've lived with both chains and shaft and I really prefer the shaft drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
If I could make one tweak to a bike to get what I want, I'd take either the F800GS or the Tiger 800XC and stick a shaft drive on it. If they did that, they'd have my business.
I'd have to agree. I really like the Tiger 800 and thought long and hard about it, but the desire for a shaft drive turned me away. I liked the 800 std, it has a physically smaller feel to it, very light, almost like an oversized KLR but more stable plus extreme smoothness and great power. That 800 triple is one very sweet engine. If they made a 800 Street Triple with that engine I'd be very interested.

I wish Guzzi made a 850 NTX that was 50 lbs lighter, that's my preference. I think there is a real market for a modern 750-850 ADV bike with shaft drive keeping the weight closer to 475-525 lbs. (wet, 1 gal of fuel, no extra farkles) I think it's quite feasible. The Multistrada 1200 is 516lbs wet so add another 10lbs for shaft drive. A Street fighter 848 is 416 lbs wet and the Tigers are in the 460-470 lb range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oca View Post
I'm right in line behind you. I will pick up my orange Stelvio in TO next Friday.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #50
ajgranda
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for your review. I took a 2013 TEX for a test drive and loved every second of it. I actually test rode it right after the 2013 Multistrada sport. For me, it handle nearly as well, felt almost as fast with nearly as much character. It had less engine vibration for sure. I preferred the sound to the stock exhaust on the Multi, but that can be remedied by adding Arrow slip ons on the TEX. I just don't understand those who say the TEX is front heavy and overweight. Maybe compared to a sport bike. I owned a BMW K1200 LT. Now that was top heavy and a nightmare to handle in the slow stuff.
ajgranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #51
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
Thanks for your review. I took a 2013 TEX for a test drive and loved every second of it. I actually test rode it right after the 2013 Multistrada sport. For me, it handle nearly as well, felt almost as fast with nearly as much character. It had less engine vibration for sure. I preferred the sound to the stock exhaust on the Multi, but that can be remedied by adding Arrow slip ons on the TEX. I just don't understand those who say the TEX is front heavy and overweight. Maybe compared to a sport bike. I owned a BMW K1200 LT. Now that was top heavy and a nightmare to handle in the slow stuff.

When you say "TEX", I'm assuming you're talking about the Triumph Explorer right?
Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #52
ajgranda
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
When you say "TEX", I'm assuming you're talking about the Triumph Explorer right?

Yep, I learned that myself on Triumph's Explorer site:

http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php?action=forum
ajgranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #53
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oca View Post

I traded in an '06 Breva 1100.

No complaints. I find keeping the screen at its lowest point and no buffeting.

I am 5'11" with 33" inseam. Getting on the bike is a new experience for me.

The panniers are high, but I have the technique down. My wife, who pillions with me, does not have a problem getting on the bike with the panniers.

As Rocker 59 said "buy the Guzzi."

By the way, where in Simi are you? I am in the Santa Rosa Valley.
Long time no update from me! Sorry! Glad to hear that you're getting enjoyment out of the bike! Right now, I'm wishing I went with the Stelvio myself, as I'd ended up buying a V7 classic (which I think is gorgeous with my Norman Hyde bars, dart flyscreen and bar-end mirrors) but my transmission (or something) failed catastrophically wednesday and locked up the rear tire. They said it will be next week before they can even look at it, and I'm getting no response from Moto Guzzi USA customer support.

We'll see.

I did end up taking the trip out to Connecticut and riding the 1200GS in the big snowstorm right after Hurricane Sandy. There's a story and a ride review there, and I even have some pics - but it'll have to wait until later. It's waited this long, it can wait a few more days. (Started a business - life got busier)

The 1200 was a good bike, and I loved the heated grips. Lots of technology, including ABS and traction control. That was a big plus in the snow and ice. If I had to ride in those types of conditions regularly, I could see that it would be a must. But I'm in So Cal, so it's not something I really need. Long story short, the Stelvio would still have been my choice. I'll explain it all later...

Cheers

PS. I'm in Newbury Park, to answer your other question.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #54
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,190
Enjoyed your comparo write up..

But it really warranted photos... Not of the new bikes, but of your two Elefants!!! Great choice of bikes too. Way ahead of their time... along with a select few other Rally inspired V twins of that era. How do you top that bike... Perhaps you should have waited for a new KTM 1190 R. It visually lives in a different world of "Euro Ultra Modern" complex angular design. An origami wrapping over a sublime techno symphony. Undoubtably the worlds most versatile minimalistic big bike. This may be the bike that could actually override your desires to remove the Fant out of it's roost... at all. And to keep up with your current bike, the 1190 Adventure will also be relevant far beyond it's years. Perhaps it's just a tad too far ahead of itself in first impressions. But it absolutely makes a bold statement... that it also backs up with performance.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 06:55 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #55
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 990
Long time no update from me! Sorry! Glad to hear that you're getting enjoyment out of the bike! Right now, I'm wishing I went with the Stelvio myself, as I'd ended up buying a V7 classic (which I think is gorgeous with my Norman Hyde bars, dart flyscreen and bar-end mirrors) but my transmission (or something) failed catastrophically wednesday and locked up the rear tire. They said it will be next week before they can even look at it, and I'm getting no response from Moto Guzzi USA customer support

"Moto Guzzi USA customer support"
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #56
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
But it really warranted photos... Not of the new bikes, but of your two Elefants!!! Great choice of bikes too. Way ahead of their time... along with a select few other Rally inspired V twins of that era.
Will this do? I actually had a KTM 950 ADV, and it was good. Not as good as these, though. At least for me. I'm interested in seeing how the 1190 rides...

Pair of pachyderms by MotorCade77, on Flickr
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #57
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

And this was definitely a good day.

IMG_4731 by MotorCade77, on Flickr

I still have TKC80s on it now, but no front fender for the moment. I'm working on fabricating a replacement fork guard/fender mount because they cracked through on that trip. The bike handles whoop de doos pretty well, but the plastic is a little brittle.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #58
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,190
[QUOTE=MotorCade;22016502]Will this do? I actually had a KTM 950 ADV, and it was good. Not as good as these, though. At least for me. I'm interested in seeing how the 1190 rides...

Pair of pachyderms by [URL="http://www.flickr.com/[/QUOTE]

A rare matching pair of aces... The cloth the 950 Adventure was cut from. Something tells me an 1190 is in the future... A future collectors item.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #59
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
I had a 2012 ntx for 5200 miles, gave it up to the deer gods, liked it so much I bought a 2013. Some mods to make it better:
stelviontx.blogspot.com