User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,125
Too Early to Upgrade to iOS6?

I just got an update notification on my 4S announcing the availability of an iOS update that includes Apple's FANTASTIC new mapping utility!

I love Google Maps: it has saved me numerous times locating rigs where even a GPS had no useful information. I don't want some cockamamie mapping app that can't even find Palo Alto or Yellowstone, so I really can't get too primed for this update.

Have these mapping bugs been cleared up yet?

What about the rest of iOS 6-- any other reason I should be hesitant?

What about NOT upgrading-- will I have compatibility issues with forthcoming apps?

I REALLY don't think I want this update.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,560
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=upgrade
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
You've obviously already made up your own mind. Wait until the Maps app is better or Google provides their own for iOS 6.

You will not have incompatibility problems for a little while yet. Few apps will demand iOS 6 initially. A lot of iOS users cannot or will not upgrade.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,204
The map app used to show my mom's house in San Jose not Palo Alto. That's been fixed but now it shows a U.S. Bank branch in her house. One of her neighbors houses is labeled as a Rite Aid.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
I upgraded my 4S the day it was available and haven't had any issues. So far, the Apple map program has worked for me and just to be save I added Google maps mobile link to my phone as well. There are so many other features that the map issue isn't that big of a deal. Besides, if you really want quality maps, get a Garmin.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I have the iphone 4 with all the upgrades. Drive company van from 2 to 6 hours a day in traffic. Used both apple and google maps. Found errors on both. However on google maps would say about 1 in 3 had an error on the map. Know the area driving through but use it for general route finding.
With apple maps it seems like if no one has searched for that address yet it seems to take longer to search but is more accurate. Spelling mistakes on searches really throws it of. Not like google maps where a spelling mistake puts you in a different part of the country.
If I am out in the country quading , dirt biking or in the jeep there is only one app navfree. It shows every trail and road everwhere. And no cell signal required to use.
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
You've obviously already made up your own mind. Wait until the Maps app is better or Google provides their own for iOS 6.
I haven't quite made up my mind, which is why I started this thread; I just don't want to make an irreversible change to something I might not see as an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStockwell View Post
Besides, if you really want quality maps, get a Garmin.
The GPS mentioned is a Garmin, and it's not worth the trouble of powering up in rural areas. I had expected much more detailed maps from it than a phone, but that's not what I got. Pretty disappointing.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by morerpmfred View Post
I have the iphone 4 with all the upgrades. Drive company van from 2 to 6 hours a day in traffic. Used both apple and google maps. Found errors on both. However on google maps would say about 1 in 3 had an error on the map. Know the area driving through but use it for general route finding.
With apple maps it seems like if no one has searched for that address yet it seems to take longer to search but is more accurate. Spelling mistakes on searches really throws it of. Not like google maps where a spelling mistake puts you in a different part of the country.
If I am out in the country quading , dirt biking or in the jeep there is only one app navfree. It shows every trail and road everwhere. And no cell signal required to use.
Thanks, Fred-- it sounds like Apple maps might not be as bad as I had thought.

Gonna wait on the Navfree, however: the first 8 reviews I read were 1-star with some particularly nasty comments.

Nailhead screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 09:59 AM Reason: Navfree reference
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
ya, too early for ios6.
stick with ios5+jailbreak until 6 becomes less of a bug-fest. the new mapping program is the least of the issues on it.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
A lot of disturbing shit on there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: