Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Laugh NORRA Mexican 1000 - 2013 Rules / Updates

The 2013 rules have been posted:

http://norra.com/mexican1000.php

Note that I split them into two different sections:
  1. The General Rules - all the stuff about timing, penalties, and the structure of the event
  2. Vehicle Rules - everything related to classes, bike prep, et cetera

All in all, with the editing I did, the rule book is about 60 pages shorter than last year, so enjoy not reading as much.

Cheers!
Anders
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
Maybe 2013 will be the year with a superspecial.. Great work AG !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Did I read it wrong or is there no place for 525/530 ktm's?
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
MLO ... Open class
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
MLO ... Open class
Got it. Should have not tried to read that on my phone.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Great job on the rules Anders, they look good!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Great job on the rules Anders, they look good!
Agree! Great work.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,779
Anders,

Curious as to the thoughts behind having both the ML400 (up to 400cc 1985 and newer) and MRR450 Rally Raid. Are there going to be more specifics as to what dictates a "Rally Raid" motorcycle?

Also, I see just as last year there is a note about GPS trackers being attached to the vehicles. They had that in the rules last year but didn't actually use them. Curious if they plan on doing that this year. Could open up some more opportunities to have the roadbook divert some from the GPS track so that people navigating by roadbook could get some sort of bonus (verified by the tracker). There was talk of this last year but due to logistics and manpower they (understandably) didn't do any special navigation bonus.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
MRR450 is to keep dakar pros from coming in and wiping the floor with everyone else on historic bikes, and also to give people building bikes to dakar size/spec a spot.

Cheers!
Anders

Anders
Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
MRR450 is to keep dakar pros from coming in and wiping the floor with everyone else on historic bikes, and also to give people building bikes to dakar size/spec a spot.

Cheers!
Anders

Anders
So if Octavio enters again we will be on the same class. Might need to bore my Yamaha to 451cc just to avoid that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
So if Octavio enters again we will be on the same class. Might need to bore my Yamaha to 451cc just to avoid that!

I thought he was running Dakar this year...or next year... you know what I mean
Old 12-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
pedrodepacas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post

I have a 450x Honda Europe kit like Ocavio's that is available. It's in good shape. PM if interested.
pedrodepacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Couple comments/questions on the updated rules:

"9.5. Starting Order for the first Special Stage each day after the first will be based, not on the results, but rather on the modified average speed of each entrant. The average speeds for each stage are computed. Some stages will be thrown out in an effort to ignore anomalies (such as stages where a racer was stuck in a ditch for four hours), and the remaining “good” stages are averaged together. These calculations are based on all previous days, to get the best possible picture of the representative speed of each vehicle. The racers are then ranked with the highest result first and lowest result last. No penalty times are included when determining the mid-rally start orders."

Seems unfair to penalize the folks who didn't have a mechanical/bad section once the race has started, however minor that penalty.

"10.4.1.4. Starting out of sequence at a stage with a published start order: 10 minutes."

How is this going to work in practice? As long as you get there 5 seconds before your start time, you're good? Do you have to be there the full 60 minutes early and lined up?

One thing that looks like it's missing:

1) You have to turn in your timecard at the finish line of each day with no exceptions or you max out.

Looking forward to '13 and electronic scoring! =)
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,847
10.4.1.4. Starting out of sequence at a stage with a published start order: 10 minutes."

I think this is ment for the Start of each day ( not Stage)
Old 12-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Couple comments/questions on the updated rules:

"9.5. Starting Order for the first Special Stage each day after the first will be based, not on the results, but rather on the modified average speed of each entrant. The average speeds for each stage are computed. Some stages will be thrown out in an effort to ignore anomalies (such as stages where a racer was stuck in a ditch for four hours), and the remaining “good” stages are averaged together. These calculations are based on all previous days, to get the best possible picture of the representative speed of each vehicle. The racers are then ranked with the highest result first and lowest result last. No penalty times are included when determining the mid-rally start orders."

Seems unfair to penalize the folks who didn't have a mechanical/bad section once the race has started, however minor that penalty.
Actually it is safer to have everyone that typically runs at the same pace running together. You really want Robby Gordon working his way though everyone after he has one of his typical brain farts? (Actually Rubby won't be there this next race but still....)

Quote:
"10.4.1.4. Starting out of sequence at a stage with a published start order: 10 minutes."

How is this going to work in practice? As long as you get there 5 seconds before your start time, you're good? Do you have to be there the full 60 minutes early and lined up?
Published start time would be at the first stage of the day. I don't know about the rest of you question as all of the stages I navigated in we were leading overall, we simply drove to the front of the line, presented our paperwork on time, and off we went!
Quote:
One thing that looks like it's missing:

1) You have to turn in your timecard at the finish line of each day with no exceptions or you max out.

Looking forward to '13 and electronic scoring! =)
The official time is also written on the sticker on the vehicle.