ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
RiverRatRider13 OP
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
Moab trials and dirtbike

So I am a real newb to the trials thing. Bought my first trials bike (Scorpa SY250) after a few years of wanting one. Since I have moved to Utah I have been mostly riding singletrack trails on my 96 WR250. I have been having a blast!!! So the trials gig is a new hobby for me.

Anyways, for columbus day weekend a bunch of friends want to head to Moab for a weekend of hiking and camping debauchery. I have been there once for work and spent one afternoon hiking some of the famous trails at arches and was just in awe. Since I was a kid I have really wanted to ride there. so I was planning on taking both of my bikes with me and dabbling into some fun dirtbike trails and some fun trials trails.

I will be flying solo seeing as though none of my friends ride dritbikes. I know this is always il advised but i am very cautious and not one known to get in over my head, especially alone. Since I have been in utah I have usually been riding alone and have had my fair share of unplanned adventures due to mechanical failure and a couple of gnarly "getoffs". I also figure this weekend will be fairly busy therefore more people around if i do get in trouble. But if any one is also around this weekend I would love a tour guide and will reimburse with a 6 pack of my favorite canadian Brew(from the liquor store).

So can you guys recommend just one dirtbike trail and one trials trail to try out? I figure some of those crazy jeep trails might be best for the trials bike. and maybe a fun wash trail for the dirtbike?
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
I live in Moab and would love to show you around. Send a PM if your interested and we can talk on the phone. Read Moab 101 by Rodzilla for trail info, even if I can't make it I'd be happy to give you info.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=moab&page=2

Moab 101 starts at post 21.

I can also show you good trials stuff.

mylsmkj screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 10:56 AM
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
RiverRatRider13 OP
Motorcycle Chum

Thanks Mylsmkj! That link has a ton of info!!! The beer thing is pretty important. How long have you lived there? Know of any job opportunities!?

I will touch base with you again when I know the trip is a go. It seems like you could ride down there for daysand days with out seeing everything. I theoretically will have just one full day. Im still debating whether or not to bring both bikes..
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
arapaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Trials in Moab

I may like to join you out there. I would love to bring my trials bike out, and I've ridden a small amount of the Moab trails already on my KTM, though I can't keep up with Tyco on the crazy stuff. With the trials bike, I'd have more of a chance to make it up the more difficult obstacles. I've been thinking about getting back out to Moab this fall with the trials bike.

What actual days are you talking about?

Where would you camp?
arapaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
RiverRatRider13 OP
Motorcycle Chum

I am pretty sure it is the weekend of the 6th. Its not a definite yet. I am not sure where we are camping, I have only been there once and it was for work so I got a hotel.

I am sure some place we can have a fire and someplace where there is actual bathrooms because I think there will be a few girls. Do think I should bring just the trials bike? it would be a lot easier taking one bike, especially one that weighs almost nothing haha. I suppose I need to get something for extra fuel. Like I said I am very new to trials but im getting there!!! have quite a bit of single track seat time though. and with a trials bike its lite enough to push and lift easily so Im not too worried. Lets def keep in touch. Oh there will def be drinking at our camp.. I have to say that bc I live in the holy land of Utah... I see your from CO so Im sure you wont mind.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
arapaho
Gnarly Adventurer

right on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
I am pretty sure it is the weekend of the 6th. Its not a definite yet. I am not sure where we are camping, I have only been there once and it was for work so I got a hotel.

I am sure some place we can have a fire and someplace where there is actual bathrooms because I think there will be a few girls. Do think I should bring just the trials bike? it would be a lot easier taking one bike, especially one that weighs almost nothing haha. I suppose I need to get something for extra fuel. Like I said I am very new to trials but im getting there!!! have quite a bit of single track seat time though. and with a trials bike its lite enough to push and lift easily so Im not too worried. Lets def keep in touch. Oh there will def be drinking at our camp.. I have to say that bc I live in the holy land of Utah... I see your from CO so Im sure you wont mind.
I stayed in one nice campground in town (Up the Creek), but it didn't allow fires. I stayed in a mediocre (Ron's Pack Creek I think) campground south of town a bit that allowed fires. That was with an ADV group. It was uninspiring but sufficient.

I know lots of folks rough camp outside of town (no showers). The advantage of that is that we'd not have to transport the bikes somewhere to ride. With a bunch of girls, may be a no go.

I carry a 1gal gas canister in my backpack. I can play a LONG time with that much gas -- mine is 4-stroke fuel injected. I'm usually whipped before I run out of gas. I can only bring one bike, and I would prefer the trials bike, honestly. Just for a change of pace.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
arapaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Up the Creek is already full. I just checked.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,268
Something easy would be camping up at sandflats/slickrock area. The campground loops have pit toilets and you can play right from camp. Between slickrock/fins n things, and porcupine rim, you could have a great day and not have to trailer to anywhere..plus you are just 10 minutes to town..
Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Something easy would be camping up at sandflats/slickrock area. The campground loops have pit toilets and you can play right from camp. Between slickrock/fins n things, and porcupine rim, you could have a great day and not have to trailer to anywhere..plus you are just 10 minutes to town..
I agree fully.
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
RiverRatRider13 OP
Motorcycle Chum

Thats a great idea. I will discuss it with my buddies and see what they think
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
arapaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Sounds like a plan. I prefer the more rustic camping myself anyway.

I'm keeping my options open and my calendar as free as I can.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
LordMDP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
5 miles of hell is a pretty tough trail

its about an hour outside moab--i forgot how to get there tho-lol

wera ex #308
LordMDP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,949
5MOH is a LOT easier on a trials bike.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
How is the winter riding in Moab, say January and February? I can't find a lot of info about this.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
How is the winter riding in Moab, say January and February? I can't find a lot of info about this.
Last winter was decent, but the few before that were cold enough that snow wasn't melting in between storms. Its pretty hit or miss.. Webcams are your friend.