User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Tonk OP
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Sharing the Road with Idiots!

Just watched a few minutes of Fox News this morning. They were covering a 52 car pile up in Florida. I couldn't believe the attitudes of many of the drivers involved. 52 car pile up and during interviews, drivers said things like... "I just couldn't stop so I just had to hit a car!".... "All I could do was brace my self!" There were more but I don't want to misquote any of these geniuses.

What ever happened to leaving enough space between the car infront to stop if, I don't know... a 52 car pile up happens ahead. Just a thought.

Ride safe out there everyone!!!
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,704
Cops should actually start ticketing people for following too close. I see so many times when people have like two car lengths between them at 60-65 mph passing state patrol without a blink. But the officers will need to pay attention to who does what. These tailgaters are the same clods that will be passing you at 80, then swoop and squat in your safety space if they see a patrol car in the median. Like that would work. The cops need to pull over cars that are too close after enough time is given for them to allow for a reasonable safety zone. But it will never happen.

Believe it or not about 25 years ago a friend got pulled over by the patrol when some jerk did that to him on a wide open stretch of I-77 The officer said he was following too close. He told the officer "I drive this road back and forth to work every day for the past year. I set the cruise at 60 and pass you guys every day. That guy in front of me was passing at 70 or more, saw you and pulled over into my lane while slowing up and you pull me over." He got let go without even any sort of warning. If I ever get hit with that I will say the same.

I allow a safe zone and will back off if someone does a swoop and squat on me. I'm not in that big a hurry. Problem is people are not assuming any responsibility. They think it's my fault they're late because I'm only 5 mph over the posted limit? I think they're late because they didn't leave enough time to get where they need to be or they don't like being in traffic. I allow plenty of time or I assume the responsibility for being late. How much time can I gain in a 10 mile drive? Thirty seconds or a minute? Ain't worth it.

Key thing, I try not to be in any sort of hurry anywhere. I figure that way I'm never disappointed in being held up be it in traffic or at the cashier in a store.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,671
From what I've seen, if you leave a reasonable gap in front of you other drivers will see that as an oppurtunity to pull in. I just try to leave an escape route and pay attention as much as possible.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
Driver training and testing in this country is a bad joke. Part of our entitlement society; everybody gets to drive, everybody gets a trophy, everybody gets a cell phone...blah blah blah...
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,818
I'll say it again

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post19752847
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
Just watched a few minutes of Fox News this morning. They were covering a 52 car pile up in Florida. I couldn't believe the attitudes of many of the drivers involved. 52 car pile up and during interviews, drivers said things like... "I just couldn't stop so I just had to hit a car!".... "All I could do was brace my self!" There were more but I don't want to misquote any of these geniuses.

What ever happened to leaving enough space between the car infront to stop if, I don't know... a 52 car pile up happens ahead. Just a thought.

Ride safe out there everyone!!!
Most of them probably weren't even following too close. Traffic down here isn't usually that heavy unless you're in a major city during rush-hour or during a special event. Most of them were probably paying attention to something else besides driving, and were on bald tires. Walk through a shopping center next time you're in FL, and note what kind of tread is on most of the tires here. Then watch drivers as you pass them in traffic. Are they actually paying attention to the road?

We have straight, flat roads down here, with open sight-lines for over 50yds in most places, yet I see crash-debris and skidmarks all over the place here, and people doing absolutely STUPID things on the road every day.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,211
Florida, you say?

How many involved were over the age of 70?

That state is one very dangerous place to drive, much less ride. I won't be back.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
pcampagna
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I try my hardest to leave enough space so that I can react. You have to weigh someone cutting in front of you or following too close. Pittsburgh driving is fun, if you let enough space, they will try to fit.

I had a lady on a cell phone, reaching for things in the back, fiddling wiht the radio, etc, behind me yesterday for 20 miles. I'd speed up, she speeds up, i slow down she rides my ass. No place togo in fromt for 20-30 cars. I just kept trying to slow and speed up so she wasnt on my ass all the time.

Right around one corner an accident. a truck re-ended another car. I was like "see bitch, that's what going to happen to you!" Eventually I passed the car in front of me to avoid her behind me. I'm sure the guy I passed (legally) was confused, but she rode his ass for the next 15 miles. Better him than me.

I have the fast blinking LEDs on the back of the bike. Spike the brake for a second just to get the attention of the person behind, they back off quickly. I know it's the strobe effect scares them.
pcampagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
You do realize Florida has some of the straightest roads on Earth, right? I first thought it must have been due to heavy rain, it is as bad as thick fog in Florida when you ride/drive through super rain. You cannot see over the hood of your car.....

But: "A light rain was falling at the time of the first collision near the Sarasota-Manatee county line. A slight hill in the area prevented motorists from seeing the crash in time to stop, officials said."

Hills, gotta hate slight hills

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Cops should actually start ticketing people for following too close.
Earlier today I was riding home from getting some groceries. I noticed a dump truck approaching from the opposite direction and it looked like a car right behind it. Yep. A county sheriff was following not 2 full car lengths behind on this 55mph road. What could go wrong?

Perhaps I won't hold my breath until they start ticketing for it.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
From what I've seen, if you leave a reasonable gap in front of you other drivers will see that as an oppurtunity to pull in. I just try to leave an escape route and pay attention as much as possible.
This. I don't know where the rest of you drive, but around the DC/Baltimore metro area leaving even one car length regardless of speed is about 10x as dangerous as leaving the "proper" amount of space.

The only reason there aren't more incredible multi car crashes here in 70+ mph nose to tail traffic is people that can't handle it are mostly either dead, on the train or at home waiting until after the commuter rush.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
This. I don't know where the rest of you drive, but around the DC/Baltimore metro area leaving even one car length regardless of speed is about 10x as dangerous as leaving the "proper" amount of space.

I get jumped in front of all the time because I tend to leave more space rather than less. It's irritating but less so than biffing my car or bike because of too little stopping space when the unexpected happens.

Personally, my time on the road would be much, much happier if:

1) At least 25% of drivers would actually use their turn signals. They are stock on 100% of autos sold here so it's sheer laziness on their part.
2) People would learn that it is possible to make most right turns without slowing down to 4.5 mph.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelion View Post
Personally, my time on the road would be much, much happier if:

1) At least 25% of drivers would actually use their turn signals. They are stock on 100% of autos sold here so it's sheer laziness on their part.
2) People would learn that it is possible to make most right turns without slowing down to 4.5 mph.
Ain't it amazing how many cars around here have broken turn signals?! Absolutely amazes me. All those fancy-ass cars with broken signals. You wanna turn where?! Good think I'm psychic, huh?

On the subject of sharing the road with idiots, try being a bicyclist... Even seemingly rational people turn into road raging maniacs when they see a bicycle in front of them. Doesn't seem to happen with farm implements, horses, mail trucks, or school busses, but a bicycle? HOLYHELLFIRESHITGOTTAGETAROUNDEMRIGHTNOW!

M
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,512
Five words:

Too Much NASCAR on TV

Rubbin' is Racin'

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Tonk OP
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Yeah, I get the bike thing..... I live in a small town and the roads, for the most part are in rough shape. I run alot and would like to take up cycling but am terrified to do so. I probably hit the ditch 2-3 times per run as minivans and teenagers do 50 in the 25 mph zone, talking on the cell, eating, putting on makeup or just being horrible drivers. Getting on a bike and having these morons coming up behind me is just too risky.

I just have come to assume, whether running, walking the dogs or riding the Triumph, anytime I'm on or near a road, the cars are trying to kill me. Sad but true.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote